• Scratchbuilding a Pantograph

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by N-Trizzy2609

I like the pantograph. I wish they sold something like that but then again i do remember IHP had one. I think it's discontinued.
  by green_elite_cab

N-Trizzy2609 wrote:I like the pantograph. I wish they sold something like that but then again i do remember IHP had one. I think it's discontinued.
Yes, Mike from IHP showed me one of his once, and it had a lot of the same working problems as mine, as far as a stabilizing the pantograph is concerned. Apparently, it was very costly to produce and very problematic. Combined with the fact that (at the time) there were only metroliners and his Arrow I cars that used them, i can't imagine there was a terribly large market for them. I remember him encouraging me to make them if i thought i could, and i think its been about three years later and i only got this far!

I can see why its tricky, its a lot of small parts and they have to fit together right. If you're creative with jigs and make good measurements, it can be done, but its very tedious, tiny work. A few of my friends are trying to convince me to buy photo-etching equipment (there are "affordable" home kits that go for $120). I can't see it saving me a whole lot of work though. All it would do for me is probably make the pantograph shoes easier to build. Perhaps the stabilizer bars themselves would also be a possibility, as well as the frames, to a point. However, the parts i'd really like to be able to produce quickly and easily, like the arms, are the ones that can be done photo etched.

I've thought about making some parts with plastic, but recent experiences with making resin castings is convincing me there is no easy way for me to make these small parts.

The way i figure it, with all the IMW and IHP arrows out there, as well as people wanting Westinghouse Metroliners, if i some how can produce even a handful of them, i can make some money on the side, which would be great.