• Retirements and Disposition of CR Equipment

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by ACeInTheHole

CRail wrote:The only reason there was so much expectation that 1009 wouldn't be repaired is because it's so close to replacement. If not for that, they'd all be in service or awaiting repairs. As 8th Notch pointed out, the damage to the engine was pretty minor in the scheme of things. I don't know how anyone would have gotten the idea that it was split in half, all it hit was a bunter.
Yeah I apologize for my wording, it was late when i read said post that it would run again and as such I didnt check myself. But its just the way the carbody rode up the bumper block independent of the trucks. It looked pretty catastrophic from the pics i saw. Maybe in person its not as bad. But it did look like itd be easier to just pull the engine from 1009, stick it in the 1014, and send that one back out. And then just scrap 1009. Thats just my take on it though.
  by 8th Notch

I'm no diesel mechanic however I can't imagine the repairs to the 1009 being more labor intense vs pulling the old blocks out both units and swapping them. Not to mention the 1008 now being a possible organ donor for the 1014.
  by bmcdr

The decision has been made, the 1014 has been moved inside the backshop facing nose-to-nose with 1009. Come Monday morning a truck swap will take place with 1014 giving up her lead truck and bolster so that 1009 will live. All sheet metal on the 1009 has been staightend, new pilot steps on the engineer's side have been fabricated, and one assumes that the 1014 will also give up her plow to the 1009. Talk around the shop is, that after the 1014 has been stripped of all useful parts, then she'll join sister 1016 on the scrap line.
  by ST214

So 1009 will live again.

What is the plan for 1008? Is 1014 also making a donation to 1008?
  by CRail

It does make sense to save 1009. It sat dead for years with a bad prime mover starting from the Amtrak days until they donated 316 to get the unit running again. Relatively lower mileage plus relatively recent overhaul work makes this unit a candidate for life beyond the MBTA. I suspect a number of these engines will continue as second hand units elsewhere, and this is one to pass on. I'd say it's worth it for the T to keep it going for that reason alone. Only the engines which are NFG will go to the scrapper, I doubt there will be many more than 1014 and 1016, especially with a new startup service in the western part of the state which will be saving a lot of the MBB cars.
  by ns3010

I'm curious as to what exactly needs to be done to 1008 to get it back in service. To my knowledge, it didn't suffer any particular catastrophic failure that might require a part swap. It's been a hunk-o-junk for a while, and probably needs a complete rebuild to get to be anything more than barely serviceable.

A few months ago, the plan was for the 1008 to be the first retired because of its poor position. But now, a few other casualties later, it won't go as soon as originally hoped...
  by ck4049

The 1008 was out front at BET today behind the 1131 coupled to MBB coach 512.
  by ns3010

The 1014 is back outside, now facing North Station, and has been there since Thursday. I'm surprised it hasn't been shoved out of the way next to the 902 on the Tank Track yet.
  by GP40MC1118

Scrap Fest 2014 has started:

Coach 1710 was observed on its side today in Yard 14, being cut up.

D
  by BandM4266

GP40MC1118 wrote:Scrap Fest 2014 has started:

Coach 1710 was observed on its side today in Yard 14, being cut up.

D
Word is that 3 more coaches and 1016 are to be scrapped over next week.
  by GP40MC1118

That's correct since they are part of the that contract. Also to be cut up are the two
ex-B&M covered hoppers and an ex-Amtrak/DODX flatcar that was next to the 1710.

D
  by Mcoov

CRail wrote:...especially with a new startup service in the western part of the state which will be saving a lot of the MBB cars.
Is this the NHHS service? If not, which is it?
  by ns3010

Four MBB's on the Valley Track, I'm guessing placed OOS pending "official" retirement. From the NS end, it's 1524-519-5XX-5XX (and then four Rotems).
  by ACeInTheHole

ns3010 wrote:Four MBB's on the Valley Track, I'm guessing placed OOS pending "official" retirement. From the NS end, it's 1524-519-5XX-5XX (and then four Rotems).
My personal opinion is that the Rotems should be scrapped because they suck.
  by sery2831

ns3010 wrote:Four MBB's on the Valley Track, I'm guessing placed OOS pending "official" retirement. From the NS end, it's 1524-519-5XX-5XX (and then four Rotems).
The four MBB cars were used as a set for a test train with the 2001 Saturday. Sunday those fours cars were put on the Valley track. It appears they are headed for storage.