Railroad Forums 

• Retirements and Disposition of CR Equipment

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1591575  by BandA

Do "we" have a surplus of coaches or a shortage of locomotives?

Are the 200s refurbished Bombardiers or Pullman-Standards? The 500s are MBBs.

Single-levels are great for pilot projects. Cough Cape Rail, cough "indigo" Fairmont, cough "indigo" to Riverside, Boston Landing <--> Mem Drive <--> Mass Ave shuttle, etc.
 #1591586  by JacobKoppel

A good amount of the cars stored are single levels that can not be used in revenue service. Note the DO NOT BOARD DO NOT OCCUPY on the cars. Missing door handles as well on 233. These photos are from the Yard 10 Lead
 #1591601  by chrisf

Commuterrail1050 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:41 am What’s the plan for the remaining ctc’s in Rochester other than 1513 and 1524? Seems like they are rotting there forever, yet, they could use the capacity during peak rushour easily until more doubles arrive.
At the moment there isn't a shortage of capacity.
 #1591611  by chrisf

The EGE wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:44 pm Also, there are 80 bilevel coaches on order, the first of which will be arriving as soon as this month.
At the time the contract was signed, the first cars were due to be delivered in September 2022. I would be very shocked if this contract is still on schedule.
https://www.mbta.com/news/2019-09-23/fm ... el-coaches
 #1595048  by JacobKoppel

A picture has surfaced on the inside MBB 1531 which was sent to Sea View last spring for storage. The condition in the car seems to give me the assumption that is car is being scrapped.

Most notably the power handle is gone and the exterior door lock has been removed and the door is being held shut with a dozen zip ties.

Looking out the cab window, they are no tracks ahead. Either this car was pushed all the way to the end of a track or it is off the rails.

#1595137  by CRail

The car was likely used as a part source for another overhaul, perhaps for a CDOT car. Nothing serves as an indication that scrapping is inevitable, but perhaps this may be rebuilt into a blind unit as others already have.
 #1595146  by Commuterrail1050

Awww my favorite control coach is never coming back again. :( I do understand that their control equipment is outdated compared to the current active fleet of coaches, especially when it has to do with ptc and atc. I don’t see any of the sea view coaches as being stored operable at this point. However, they could rebuild them if they really need the coaches back like they did to the Rochester ones and the ones currently being rebuilt that were stored there. Even if they do get rebuilt, they will all be up north. Not sure why they can’t be southside since that has bombardier coaches mixed in with the doubles.
 #1595248  by CRail

The reason they're north is because they're not compatible with traction interlock.