• R6 Cynwyd: SEPTA's "Dinky"

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Bensalem SEPTA rider

How about extending the Cynwyd line up Ridge Ave and then sending it to Pylmouth Meeting where it could run along the PA turnpike to King of Prussia Mall. How about that?

by AlexC

I thought the P&W was supposed go to K of P mall.
Any day now right? :wink:

by JeffK

The P&W is scheduled to run to the mall about 6 months after a squadron of pigs is seen overhead....

by jfrey40535

How busy was the train both ways? I bet the crew was surprised to see people railfanning the Ivy Ridge Branch. How did the ROW look past Cynwyd? Were the wires still there?

by chuchubob

We were the only passengers on the train, both ways.

The conductor said that he usually has 5 to 10 passengers on those runs, and that he's never had a zero count, which he would have had if we hadn't railfanned those trips.

The catenary is still there beyond Cynwyd.

by njtmnrrbuff

Very nice pictures. A week from Monday, I will start my mileage on Septa's Regional Rail System. The first day on Septa, I will probaly cover the Airport-as far as Eastwick because I might fear getting booted out of the airport area. Plus I think that one could see the airport from Eastwick. After that I will ride out to Chestnut Hill East and then walk to Chestnut Hill West and then ride all the way to Fox Chase. After Fox Chase I will try to do Warminster. Here is a question. Is it possible to use the daypass on a one way trip between Chestnut Hill East and Fox Chase?

by queenlnr8

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Very nice pictures. A week from Monday, I will start my mileage on Septa's Regional Rail System. The first day on Septa, I will probaly cover the Airport-as far as Eastwick because I might fear getting booted out of the airport area. Plus I think that one could see the airport from Eastwick. After that I will ride out to Chestnut Hill East and then walk to Chestnut Hill West and then ride all the way to Fox Chase. After Fox Chase I will try to do Warminster. Here is a question. Is it possible to use the daypass on a one way trip between Chestnut Hill East and Fox Chase?
Try to ride all the way out to the Airport. You can't see the ROW at the Airport from Eastwick. Not to mention, I wouldn't want to be at Eastwick for any length of time. It is kinda desolate. Plus, as a bonus, there is a killer highway viaduct and you can see the 'Practically New, Hardly Used' second track at the airport.

And, if you have been really good, you might actually get to ride the special 'Yellow Bird' Airport cars out there. Its a good trip.

by AlexC

I will probaly cover the Airport-as far as Eastwick because I might fear getting booted out of the airport area
What's to fear at the airport? The ROW there isn't really too accessible, unless you're at the platform. I think the departure road is on one side and the taxi stands are on the other.
I thought pictures are prohibited only at the x-ray checkpoints.

My 2 year old daughter and I went R6 from Norristown to Market East to 1234 to a trolley to 30th Street to the El to 69th to the P&W and back to Norristown on tuesday. Took about three hours including doting around Reading Terminal and their model trains, the Transit Store, "driving" the PCC in the basement, and lunch @ 30th St Station.
That's a good loop if you're interested. Been meaning to do it for years. But this topic is drifting too far off topic. ;)

by SEPTALRV9072

njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Here is a question. Is it possible to use the daypass on a one way trip between Chestnut Hill East and Fox Chase?
Nope. Daypass is only good for one trip to or from Center City. You can't use it through to the other side.

by queenlnr8

SEPTALRV9072 wrote:
njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Here is a question. Is it possible to use the daypass on a one way trip between Chestnut Hill East and Fox Chase?
Nope. Daypass is only good for one trip to or from Center City. You can't use it through to the other side.
Um, then isn't that a one-way ticket? If you can use it once, for one trip, then... that's a one-way. Right?

by JeffK

But you can at least buy a single ticket that's good for a trip from a station on one side of the system through CC to a station on the other side. It's a bit more than the cost of a one-way to CC but a lot less than buying two one-ways. You just have to remember to hang onto the ticket if you have to change trains at one of the CC platforms. (Sounds obvious, but I've seen several cases where people forgot ...)

by Matthew Mitchell

queenlnr8 wrote:
SEPTALRV9072 wrote:
Um, then isn't that a one-way ticket? If you can use it once, for one trip, then... that's a one-way. Right?
Hill East (I think you meant Hill West) to Fox Chase is a one-way trip, but the DayPass is valid only for a one-way trip to or from Center City, excluding travel to or from Trenton. It specifically says on the pass that it is not valid for via Center City travel.

by Pacobell73

chuchubob wrote:The catenary is still there beyond Cynwyd.
The catenary exists over both tracks as far as Barmouth. SEPTA removed the catenary from Barmouth to Ivy Ridge during the Manayunk Viaduct rehab.

by jfrey40535

WHy did SEPTA stop service at Cynwyd instead of Barmouth? Barmouth is before the bridge, or is this one of those "low ridership", inconvenience to the passengers stations?