• R6 Cynwyd: SEPTA's "Dinky"

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by amtrakhogger

Really? The line (when I worked there) had a dumbed down signal system that was referred to to as just "ABS" rules. Authority was by timetable and a register located in an old phone box had to be signed prior to and leaving the single track at JEFF. A second scheduled train could not occupy the single track unless the last train "signed out". The short double track section between JEFF and VALLEY was signaled ABS 251.
  by pdtrains

Most likely it was manual bock system. I can check in one of my 1960's ett's.
Look at eastbound signal 98 at Port Royal Road. No stop indication. This would be
a Pennsy manual block intermediate signal...most restrictive indication is restricting.

The PRR (at least the eastern region) really didn't seem to understand the concept of APB.
When it came to single track, the PRR had 261, manual block, and "rules for operating on Secondary Tracks",
"rules for operating on running tracks", etc, which no other RR ever heard of.
They may have had some single track 251 territory, but it was never called APB, and had different rules
than other RR's would have used for APB.

The West Chester Branch was Manual Block single track operation, right up to the last day
of passenger operation, which was in the 1980's.
  by pdtrains

I looked at a 1966 ett. Man to Orchard on the schuylkill secondary was manual block, rules 305 to 373, and Movement of trains on secondary tracks, rules 271 thru 273.
Special note for the schuylkill secondary....signal indication at Man (manayunk) westbound (controlled by overbrook), was authority to proceed westbound on the secondary.
Length of blocks were determined by block stations (interlockings with or without towers) and block limit stations. Block limit stations were noted by poles with 2 letter designation signs, and a lantern in the olden days. There may or may not have been positive stop signals associated with the block limit station (controlled remotely from a tower or dispatcher) and trainphone capability.

The Bel-del, on the other hand was a "branch", not a secondary track, and operated as 251 (abs) with the current of traffic, and Manual block system against the current of traffic. How you have a current of traffic on a single track, I don't know yet. This may have been the PRR version of APB, but have to read further, and find my PRR rule book which is around here somewhere.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Per Septa's current ETT the line is listed as 261 from Jeff to Cyn and 251 from Valley to Jeff.Its a bs system since there are no block signals and the only signals you will see are at Jeff and Cyn.
  by RDG-LNE

While waiting on the upper level at 30th Street this morning I snapped these two photos. First is the Dinky returning from Cynwyd as a CSX stack train passes over head:

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=1810308

Next are three trains discharging passengers with three different equipment sets represented: Silverliner II, Silverliner IV and Bomber set:

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=1810309

Drew
  by scotty269

Two amazing shots! Well done.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Feels very surreal with a single car train.
  by ChrisinAbington

That's fine retaining wall in the Dinky photo. What a mess... :(
Good shot of the Dinky though, looks very lonely out there..
  by RDG-LNE

If you want lonely, here are two more shots of the Dinky but this time at the end of the line in Cynwyd. The Dinky seems to get the least amount of attention since it runs mainly during rush hour. I looked around for some more Cynwyd related images in my storage archives and I found two that really show the current Cynwyd station. First up is a Septa Silverliner IV at Cynwyd's former PRR shelter looking inbound:

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=1811546

Next is a photo looking outbound at the block signals and the bridge that forms part of Cynwyd's station canopy.:
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=1811547

Both of these were taken on a very hazy, hot and humid 08 July 2008 afternoon.

Drew
  by StephenJohnson

Why do Cynwyd trains not follow through to Market East? Would it be that difficult to make one more stop downtown?

Perhaps ridership is so low that there is no need. Or, the Cynwyd train comes into Suburban on a track that does not continue on to Market, or arrives at Suburban on a track that makes it difficult for the Cynwyd train to cross onto a track that continues to Market.
  by R3 Passenger

Cynwyd trains are typically a single car. They terminate on one of the stub tracks in Suburban. The reason for this is probably because there is no through-route that could handle a single car. In addition, it makes for a quicker turnaround to switch ends in Suburban instead of going all the way to Roberts or fouling a track at Vine for a crossover.
  by Clearfield

There is no where else to keep the car on layover unless you want to teruncate the line further and store it at Powelton.

If only there were more tracks at Market East........
  by zebrasepta

I've seen a empty inbound Cynwyd dinky before
only the Engineer and the Conductor were in
  by tgolanos

I know that the Cynwyd Line has very low service, but to what extent does the lack of through-service affect that? Also, the lack of frequent service certainly detracts potential users, thus negating the need for the through-service.

I don't remember if there's a switch at North Broad or not, but if there is, would it make sense to turn Dinkies around there? That's such a little-used station that I don't think it would affect service, and Market East and Temple could be accessed from Cynwyd.
  by SCB2525

Never understood why they didn't just run it to Temple and layover thereafter.