Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1628113  by Allan

Silverliner5 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:54 pm Why is that other track abandoned? it could be useful again for this line
Useful? But for what purpose? Apparently, over the years, express service was determined as not needed along the Sea Beach line.
Unlike the Culver, Brighton and West End lines, the BMT did not put any express stations on the Sea Beach line.

The downtown express track remains in place (although in poor condition) until just south of the Kings Highway station where the track has been restored to full operating condition (switches and third rail). What they use it for I do not know.
 #1628160  by Head-end View

Allan wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:44 pm I want to update my posting from back in February 2023 and can now say I have seen the R211T. It was yesterday (8/22/2023). The 10 car train (cars 4040-4041-4042-4043-4044 4049-4048-4047-4046-4045) were on the 'express' track on the Sea Beach line (N train) at the Ft. Hamilton Parkway station.

I am adding to the videos posted by Jeff by adding 3 photos I took yesterday.

The first is a view of car 4045 and the others taken from the southbound platform,
the second is a view of the side electronic sign and also the 'accordion' covering the gangway between cars 4045 and 4046,
the third is an above shot of the front of the train looking northward (this was taken from the pedestrian overpass at the south end of the station).

The train is signed as "M Queens Plaza" for no specific reason. The train, being 10 cars long would not be able to run from Essex St to Metropolitan Av portion of the line as the platforms can only accommodate a 8 car train.
In the NYC transit system eight and ten car trains are actually the same length. Depending on the particular type of train, a ten car train of sixty foot cars is 600 feet long and an eight car train of 75 foot cars is also 600 feet long. So the same platforms should fit both eight and ten car trains.
 #1628195  by Allan

True, except that the platforms on the Eastern Division stations are only 480 feet long. That is why the consists on the J, L, M and Z trains have only 8 cars (2 sets of 4 cars).

Note: the only exceptions are the platforms at Sutphin Blvd-Archer Av and Parsons-Archer stations on the J/Z line as those were built and opened in 1988 and the platforms were conformed to the 600 foot length even the train length is only 480 feet.

I forgot to mention in my other post that the TA did have a "Super Express" train on the Sea Beach line called the NX. It ran in the peak direction starting at Brighton Beach through Coney Island and up the Sea Beach to 57 St. The service started in late November 1967 and ended in April 1968 due to low ridership.
 #1628241  by Allan

ExCon90 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:43 am "Back in the day" was there ever an express service on summer weekends nonstop from 59th St. to CI?
I did not recall reading of any service from the books I have, but in checking Wikipedia for Sea Beach subway there is indication that there certainly was a summer express service between Chambers St in Manhattan and Coney Island.

From the wikipedia page:
"The express tracks were originally intended to host the Coney Island Express. Service was carried on these tracks twice in the line's history — for summer weekend service to Chambers Street from 1924 to 1952....."

(My comment - this means the the BMT Co. created the service and the City of NY continued the service well after the system unification in 1940).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMT_Sea_Beach_Line
(Look for "Express Service" on the wiki article).
 #1636240  by Allan

Nice to see they moved the controller handle to the middle of the console vs by the right side cab window (as was done in the R160 and R179).
 #1636337  by Allan

Another question would be why did they move it to the right side in the first place?
In the R142/142A/188 it is in the middle of the console. Even in the retrofitted R46s it is in the middle of the console.
 #1637420  by Jeff Smith

Teething problems: Gothamist
MTA's fancy new 'open gangway' subway trains can't run on express tracks, per memo

The MTA is putting its fancy new “open gangway” subway cars on the slow track.

The new cars have accordion-style connectors that allow riders to walk the train's entire length instead of interior doors. The trains were originally intended to serve the A and C lines, but an internal MTA memo dated Jan. 19 shows the trains are prohibited from carrying passengers while running on the express A line tracks in two key stretches of Brooklyn and Manhattan.

MTA officials declined to provide further information. But after publication, Gothamist obtained a second memo, also dated Jan. 19, that provided an explanation: The design of the gangway trains “makes it impossible” for train operators to safely perform a required inspection following the activation of the emergency brakes.
 #1637444  by Jeff Smith

Introduction to service: NBCNewYork
MTA to roll out new ‘open gangway cars': what you need to know

The Metropolitan Transit Authority is preparing to roll out a new version of its modern R211 subway cars -- this version will come with what's known as an "open gangway" allowing for passengers to move freely from one car to another.
The open-gangway cars will debut on C trains, Davey said, which was a purposeful choice.

The new cars will only be on local lines, not express lines, Davey said.

"We thought it was more prudent to having that train stop more frequently," he said.
 #1637462  by STrRedWolf

Jeff Smith wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:32 am Introduction to service: NBCNewYork
MTA to roll out new ‘open gangway cars': what you need to know

The Metropolitan Transit Authority is preparing to roll out a new version of its modern R211 subway cars -- this version will come with what's known as an "open gangway" allowing for passengers to move freely from one car to another.
The open-gangway cars will debut on C trains, Davey said, which was a purposeful choice.

The new cars will only be on local lines, not express lines, Davey said.

"We thought it was more prudent to having that train stop more frequently," he said.
So it's the C, the R, and the W? Maybe the B?
 #1637463  by GirlOnTheTrain

They won't buy anymore beyond those two sets and those two sets will end up on the Rockaway Shuttle. Nobody got time for the open gangway trains and discharging if you gotta run around on the express and no clearance to investigate in a tunnel.