• Progress on Greenbush

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by trainhq

They've finally started laying tracks to Greenbush;
looks like they're making good progress.
Rails planted on Greenbush route

Construction has reached a milestone for the Greenbush, Mass. Commuter lines as the first 140-foot section of the entire Greenbush line was planted last week, the Weymouth News reported last week. It’s at a crossing at grade.

Sights and sounds of heavy equipment clearing foliage and installing drainage along the right-of-way, or echoes of rock-pinning machines and diesel engines regrading soil typically mark major construction areas.

Contractor Cashman/Balfour Beatty is doing the major work for the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, and Cashman spokesperson Thomas Carroll said the Unicorn Avenue grade crossing is the first of many, but it’s still the first.

“It’s the first visual sign that it’s really a train line and to actually see that go in is pretty exciting,” he said.

Although the first 140 feet of rail is now officially in place much work still lies ahead before more rails are installed.

In Weymouth Landing, a shallow cut, which will allow trains to pass underneath Quincy Avenue in Braintree and Commercial Street in Weymouth, is being dug out.

The shallow cut will be about 30 feet wide and some 20 feet high. The tunnel will allow trains entering Weymouth Landing from either side to make station stops without disrupting traffic.

The Greenbush commuter rail line will run about 18 miles between the Greenbush section of Scituate and East Braintree, then on to South Station in Boston.

Passenger service is projected to begin sometime in 2007 and is tentatively scheduled to make 12 trips each way on weekdays. The train will have stops in East Weymouth and Weymouth Landing.

by Robert Paniagua

Yeah I heard about that already that they are now laying the first set of rail/ties down that way. About time that started. And the staging area I see for the ties can be seen from the Red Line as well, it's right at the Wye Jct/Green Interlocking, that's where all those brand new ties are.

by CSX Conductor

It's just a shame that all these ties were trucked in as opposed to rail. :(

by paulrail

There are also huge piles of ties and rail (and other construction items) in the paved CR parking lot and in the layover yard in Greenbush itself. :wink:

Wasn't a lot of rail brought in and staged at the old Fore River Shipyard ? Was all of this brought in by trucks? :(

Paul

by necnomad

It's nice to see progress on the line, its only taken 18 years to lay 140' of track. It's also nice to be working on the project (I'm with the contractor who built those tracks). It's a tease for us since it would be nice to get some mainline track built.

As of september, a few more crossings have been completed - Fort Hill St. in Hingham, Beaver Dam road in Scituate, and Wharf st in Weymouth all not open to traffic yet- work is still being done.

We have also been welding rail for about 2 months, about 35% of it is completed. For the record-the rail was brought in by train at Fore Rivers and transferred to trucks with 80' stretch trailers offloaded to 3 stockpile locations. We even unloaded rail the monday after the blizzard with snow past the axles of the trains!

It is more economical to ship ties by truck since they could be sent on a standard flatbed. They come in 62 at a time and with a total of 56000 they'll be coming in for a while. Shipping by rail would mean an extra transfer to trucks, which would be a subcontract for us, so trucking directly from the plant to the stockpile is more efficient.

by livesteamer

How about some updated pictures. The contractor site does not seem to be kept updated. I grew up in Scituate and am now located near Kansas City. Would love to see more pictures of progress. I plan to be back that way in May, 2006 but until them need pictures.

by paulrail

Marty-

Greg Guimond has posted a lot of pictures of the ongoing construction on the NERAIL Photo Archives site: http://photos.nerail.org/

On the home page click on "browse by contributor" and then drop down to GREG GUIMOND and click on his name. He has posted over 900 photos, so you will just have to keep clicking back on each page and you will eventually come to them. I would start clicking on "car" 19 or 20. The photos were taken is June, and earlier this spring.

Here is a shot of the work going on at the site of the old North Scituate Station site: :wink:

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ey=gregg53

Paul

by livesteamer

Just a big thanks

by paulrail

Marty-

I'm glad you mentioned your need for pictures, as I know Greg personally and in talking to him the other day, he mentioned that it was time to go back out for another round of shots.

Keep "tuned-in" to the NERAIL site as he will be posting his photos when he does get a chance to get get some more, hopefully soon.

Paul

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i was lookin at his pics on NERAIL and the pages that they are on is in the 40 page area :wink: it took me a while to find them

by livesteamer

Ask him to grab a few shots near the Scituate Fire Station (located on First Parish Road) and over near Beaver Dam Road. I grew within a two minute of the Beaver Dam crossing.

Thanks, again-looking forward to seeing the progress next May.

by necnomad

I have tons of pics available but do not have my own website currently. I have pictures that are up to date and in places not readily accessible to the general public .

Does anyone know where there is a site where I can upload images? If not, are there any volunteers to host some pics?
  by Cosmo

necnomad,
The afforementioned NERail.org Photo Archives are a good place to post if you don't have your own site. I check them regularly for progress on RR projects all over New England and am seldom bored or dissapointed. :-D
Just click on http://photos.nerail.org/
Cosmo

by necnomad

Thanks for the tip, I was able to set up an account and get started.
As time permits, I'll add more pics of work progress.

The following is what Beaver Dam Road currently looks like, track and bascoat completed. The crew present is installing the foundations for the crossing gates.
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20050 ... 252919.jpg

by livesteamer

Hey folks,

Thanks for the updated picture of Beaver Dam Road. Keep them coming.