• Progress on Greenbush

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Cosmo

Glad it worked for you nomad.
Hooray! My good advice paid off for someone! :-D
It's cool to hook someone up for once, I do get hookups quite often from this and other forums, be it modeling advice, prototype info, or where to find good pictures n' stuff.

by paulrail

necnomad-

Nice shot of the Beaver Dam Road crossing. I'm delighted to hear you will be posting a lot more of the Greenbush reconstruction pictures to the NERAIL photo archives. I was going to suggest that but cosmo beat me to it!

Do you know when First Parish Road will be done?

Back in the middle nineties I took a lot of shots and video of the rehabilitation of the New Old Colony Plymouth/Kingston and Middleboro/Lakeville lines as work progressed. Am I glad I did that; it's very interesting to look back for what was being done just some ten or so years ago! Wow, where does the time go? It seems like only yesterday those lines were opening up and we were off again to Boston by rail.

I remember my last trip to Boston on the New Haven Railroad's Greenbush line in 1959 from the Weymouth Landing Station. I was sixteen and a few of us were heading into the Hub to see some science fiction movie over at the old Fenway Theater in Back Bay. There was no Prudential Center then and that space was filled by the Boston & Albany RR's Exeter Street passenger coach yars.

Great memories! :wink:

Anyone else remember riding the old NH Greenbush line from the South Shore prior to June 30, 1959?

Paul

by livesteamer

I grew up in Scituate and was around 10 when I rode the line from the Scituate station on First Parish Road. IIRC, it was one of the Saturday trips. We had a pair of DL109's back to back and only three coaches. I can remember my Dad's comments about the New Haven being bankrupt and wondering why there was so much power for such a short train. Arrived at South Station around 10 in the morning and we returned later that afternoon with the exact same equipment. That was my last ride. Never rode any of the Shorelines that covered the late night runs.

by necnomad

Glad to hear everyone enjoyed the pics, I managed to upload a few more today, the link in my previous post should work.

As far as progress goes, Fort Hill St. is now open to traffic, and we have completed the installation of track and rubber at Beechwood st.in Cohasset and Wharf st. in East Weymouth.

Additional clearing and grubbing work is proceeding near First Parrish Road where the begining of Scituate sideing will start about 1/3 of a mile north of the crossing.

While there is a 100% approved design for the crossing, I don't think its in the near future for rail, but I may be wrong, things change quick around here.

Keep looking for more pics, I will keep trying to post them as time permits

by livesteamer

I spoke with family members who still live in Scituate and they are reporting to me that there may be some problems with crushed sewer lines near Beaver Dam Road and that the Selectmen are very upset. Any truth to this story?

And, does anybody know what the plans are for passing tracks? Is it true that there will be a passing track between Beaver Dam Road and First Parish Road?

by paulrail

Marty-

I don't know about any crushed sewer pipes; have not seen anything in the papers on that.

I checked my copy of the MBTA's F.E.I.R for Greenbush and noted that the crossings at Beaver Dam Road and First Parish Road are single track crossings. The double track does not start again until shortly before the start of the trackage leading into the Greenbush station and layover facility. I would guess about a half mile before Fitt's Mill.

Paul

by livesteamer

Thanks for the update. I am looking forward to riding from Greenbush someday. I will be back that way from Kansas City in May but I guess operations won't start until fall, 2006 or later.

Keep updates coming and need more pictures.

by Robert Paniagua

Actually Greenbush won't start till '07, ten years after the Kingston/Middleboro lines were started.

by dudeursistershot

Robert Paniagua wrote:Actually Greenbush won't start till '07, ten years after the Kingston/Middleboro lines were started.
won't finish, you mean

by CSX Conductor

I think he means start revenue service in 2007. :wink:

by njtmnrrbuff

That's a step in the right direction for folks southeast of Boston closer to the coast. I hope service to the Cape comes.

by CSX Conductor

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:I hope service to the Cape comes.
Me too, but don't hold your breathe, because if you do you'll turn ConRail blue!! :(

by Robert Paniagua

I think he means start revenue service in 2007 :wink:

That's right, CSX C, it should start then hopefully, barring any further delays constructionwise.

by MickD

Will this be a M-F service at start up or will there be weekends?
It's too bad, but CSX is right about Cape service.I don't see it on the horizon any time in this decade.There just isn't the know how here.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i believe it is a 7 day service