Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by ST214

614 is on 2612 right now!
  by Leo_Ames

F40CFan wrote:
bones wrote:They were dash 2's from the start. Starting in 1972 everything was dash 2 except for switchers.
I'm not doubting you knowledge on the subject, but do you know why the first batch of F40PHs are referred to that way and the later orders are called F40PH-2s? I've also seen the Amtrak versions referred to as F40PH or F40PHRs (for those using recycled SDP40F components). I believe one place is in the "Second Diesel Locomotive Spotters Guide". Is it a misnomer or ignorance on the part of the author? I'm trying to locate my copy to verify. Just curious.
All F40PH, F40C, and SDP40F's have the improvements like modular electronic control systems that were introduced in 1972 in EMD's road diesels that we associate with the Dash 2 model introductions in 1972. They're basically cowled versions of EMD's GP40-2 and SD40-2 models.

They didn't have a -2 tacked on to their designations since they were brand new models and not improvements of an earlier locomotive. Thus, no need for the -2 on the end.

As to why later F40PH's recieved a Dash 2 designation, it's because the line was improved and it was added to differentiate the updated model with the earlier one (I think the engine was updated to the 645E3C and perhaps there were other improvements, I'm unsure since I've never really seen much discussion on how the EMD model evolved and virtually nothing about the F40PH knock offs produced by third parties like MPI for commuter lines in later years).

I'm not even sure F40PHR, F40PH-2, and F40PH-2C are official EMD designations. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they were created by some of the operators of the units or were even a creation of the railfan press with EMD just calling them all F40PH's (Anyone know?).
Last edited by Leo_Ames on Thu May 20, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
  by F40CFan

Thank you for clearing that up. I wish EMD was more consistent.
  by F40CFan

Saw 611 on the Burlington near the Dan Ryan underpass. It was being moved by Switcher #3 and had coach 7292 along for the ride. Don't know where they were moving her.
  by doepack

Report from another list says that it's returning home to the Milwaukee district, with the repairs apparently complete, so if you saw it on the Burlington it was probably just coming off the SCAL. Could be back on the road soon...
  by F40c611fan

doepack wrote:...if you saw it on the Burlington it was probably just coming off the SCAL.
What does SCAL stand for? By the way, has anybody seen 614 (I'm assuming 611 isn't in service yet) yesterday or this morning?
  by F40CFan

SCAL is the St. Charles Air Line. Saw 614 the other night on track 7.
  by F40c611fan

Answered my own question. 614 was on 2143 last night, and will probably spend the weekend in Fox Lake. 611 is back on the Milwaukee and may be in service next week. This is all according to the Illinirail Yahoo group.
  by blugoose

I hear that 611 may and I say MAY be at this years Franklin Park Railroad Daze? If that is true I am driving down to see it, as I have never see an F40C in person.
  by F40CFan

Saw 611 this evening (05/25/2010) on the break-in train at Western Ave. It was MU'd infront of an MP. I guess they didn't trust the MP. :-)

I hope 611 is at Franklin Park. That would be a curious change of position for Metra. Maybe they finally realize their value, or they decided to do something nice for the fans. Either way, it would be appreciated.

The last time I remember an F40C being at an event was the Bensenville centennial. The Milwaukee Road had a display in Bensenville yard that included 42 (602), "The Village of Bensenville". The railroad representative stated proudly that it had logged over 2 million miles without a major overhaul. They had spruced it up with a new coat of NWSMTD paint. I think they polished the stainless on the flanks also. It sure looked sharp.
Last edited by F40CFan on Wed May 26, 2010 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by F40CFan

Saw 611 pushing a train into CUS this morning (05/26/2010) around 11:45. It was by itself.
  by F40c611fan

Just a note - Franklin Park Railroad Daze and the Rochelle Railroad Days are on the same weekend - I might stop in at Franklin Park on my way out to Rochelle...
  by Metra 47 607

611 is on the North line today it has allready ran on train # 2119 and will return to Chicago on train #2142 and will leave CUS on train 2139 at 5:25 PM and tie up in Fox Lake tonight and she should be out on Saturday.
  by AMTKHawkeye

blugoose wrote:I hear that 611 may and I say MAY be at this years Franklin Park Railroad Daze? If that is true I am driving down to see it, as I have never see an F40C in person.
I spotted 611 on inbound MDW train 2254 tonight at Roselle, and it appears to have been given some cosmetic attention - fresh black paint on the trucks and underframe, and some of the "chalkiness" in the blue paint has been buffed out. Immediately behind it in the consist was cab car 8587, which has been the regular car Metra has sent to Franklin Park Railroad Daze over the past few years.

Looks like this rumor will be coming to fruition.
  by metraRI

611 was indeed at Franklin Park RR Daze today, good to see something besides an MP make the trip. Suprised they didnt show off a rebuilt F40 :wink:

Thread Update:
Name of thread has changed to "F40C 611/614 Status" and the thread has been stickied.