Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by F40CFan

I should think so. I believe the F40PHs are virtually identical mechanically, except for the Dash-2 electronics. I don't know if they ever upgraded the F40Cs to Dash-2 standards.
  by Metra 47 607

I have heard from a reliable source that 611 will return to service. 611 did blow its Main generator and had some flames shoot out from some bearings. Metra has not been properly maintaning 611 and 614 since they have returned to revenue service last year and this is the result. 611 has been sent to the Rocket house for repair and will return to service. Metra cannot afford to retire 611 or any other of its locomotives at this point with the F40PH-3 rebuilds going on. i am very happy to hear this great news about 611.
Last edited by Metra 47 607 on Fri May 07, 2010 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by CNW5022-A519

I also have sources of my own that 611 is on the rock and getting repaired her and another engine was brought over to the rock by NIRC Number Eight. once there she will be worked on and possibley looking better than before. I don't know what the other engine number is but will finding out.
  by ACeInTheHole

someone should check on 614 and make sure shes not headed down the same gutter :/
  by Leo_Ames

F40CFan wrote:I should think so. I believe the F40PHs are virtually identical mechanically, except for the Dash-2 electronics. I don't know if they ever upgraded the F40Cs to Dash-2 standards.
They've been Dash 2's from the start. They were built in 1974 and are basically a cowl SD40-2 just like the SDP40F was (Although that was built on a longer frame to accomodate the steam generator and a 5,000 gallon tank unlike the F40C that had the same frame as a SD40-2).
  by F40CFan

Leo_Ames wrote:They've been Dash 2's from the start.
I don't think they were. They were built 3 years before the RTA's first order of F40PHs (100-127) in 1977, which were not Dash-2s. The F40PH-2s were built starting in 1979, number 128 and up.
  by AMTKHawkeye

I don't think they were. They were built 3 years before the RTA's first order of F40PHs (100-127) in 1977, which were not Dash-2s.
I can't say this with authority on the subject, but I am pretty sure the Dash-2 option was available in 1974. The other thing to consider is that the two were not ordered by the same agency: The F40Cs were purchased by the NWSMTD, not the RTA.
  by F40CFan

Good point. I'm sure they had some input from the Milwaukee Road also as they would be operating them. I just would think that they would be referred to as "F40C-2s" if they were, but who knows......
  by bones

They were dash 2's from the start. Starting in 1972 everything was dash 2 except for switchers.
  by F40CFan

bones wrote:They were dash 2's from the start. Starting in 1972 everything was dash 2 except for switchers.
I'm not doubting you knowledge on the subject, but do you know why the first batch of F40PHs are referred to that way and the later orders are called F40PH-2s? I've also seen the Amtrak versions referred to as F40PH or F40PHRs (for those using recycled SDP40F components). I believe one place is in the "Second Diesel Locomotive Spotters Guide". Is it a misnomer or ignorance on the part of the author? I'm trying to locate my copy to verify. Just curious.
  by byte

Probably either an advertising tactic ("introducing the NEW F40PH-2!!") or it was done in an effort to simply standardize mechanical designations within EMD's own books.
  by BenSOC

Is 614 in service this weekend?
  by byte

611 is in one of the western-most stalls of the Rocket House. Nose isn't sticking out but you can see it if the day is nice and they have the doors open.
  by AMTKHawkeye

614 Departed CUS on the 12:25 AM Milwaukee North train last night (this morning, really).
  by doepack

BenSOC wrote:Is 614 in service this weekend?
If it ran Friday nite's 2159 (the 12:25 to Fox Lake as reported by AMTK Hawkeye), you should have a pretty decent chance of seeing it over the weekend. Try looking for it tomorrow (Sunday)...