• Official Conway Scenic Railroad Thread (CSRR)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by The MECnanic

Looking to purchase ONE ex MEC Steam Locomotive, for relocation and complete restoration to operational status. This is a bonafide statement. You know how to contact me. :-)

by b&m 1566

So, does anybody have pictures of this past weekend’s MBRRE trip? I was hoping to see some pictures posted somewhere but haven’t seen anything.

by shadyjay

Weather was perfect and I was going to go but didn't - haven't seen any pics online either. Decided to go out 4wheelin' instead. I'm kicking myself now that I don't see any pics, and that I could've done more searching for HO scale buildings for my layout. Oh well - September will be here soon enough.

by snowskier

I chased the 7470 thru the Notch last Sat. If I did this right, here's a link to some pics -

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=193946

Click on "more" to see a total of 3. There's also more on this website from other people. Great day, train looked crowded and seemed like everyone had a blast!

by shadyjay

really nice pics - i got new wallpaper on my system now

by NHN503

snowskier wrote:I chased the 7470 thru the Notch last Sat. If I did this right, here's a link to some pics -

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=193946

Click on "more" to see a total of 3. There's also more on this website from other people. Great day, train looked crowded and seemed like everyone had a blast!
Very nice!

by mc367

snowskier, nice shots.

It was a pretty good chase - got a few good shots including a nice tele of Willey Brook from 302 and the the train wraping around the curves just before the Gateway.

I'm hoping to get back over there to hit a few of the classic shots such as Willey Brook and such.

-Justin

by snowskier

Thanks for the photo comments. I'd love to see CSRR run her there a few more times a year! They didn't seem to have any problems. Anyone know for sure?

by highrail

It was a great day. As we were waiting in the notch we heard radio transimissions that indicated that they were having problems maintaining the fire due to the coal being less than terrific. They had stopped at one point to build up the fire. Lot's of clinkers, they said. It was a great sound to listen to the steam engine working up the grade. I can only imagine what it must have been like to hear a double headed combo coming up through the notch! Given the load, I think that 7470 did great.

Thanks for posting the pics...great stuff.

by Joe Fox

Great photos. One of these times, I would like to make it, just to hear the engine work up the grade. I was at a train meet on Saturday, otherwise I would have been there. I can't wait for the W, W, & F to go down the mountain, just to hear the engine work back up the grade. How much coal and water did you guys use up from that run?

Joe

by Meyblc

Did the CSRR have a water truck meet them up past the notch to fill up the tender when they got there, or did she have enough water to make it back down the grade?

by highrail

There were two water tankers from the twin mtn fire dept to provide water for the thirsty engine. They met the 7470 at the notch.

by eriemike

We chased the 7470 on Sat. and what a thing to see. There is nothing and I mean nothing like the sound of a steam whistle bouncing off the mountains of the Notch.

Paul Hallet, who works for CSR, had a big smile on his face at Faybans and said that so far, everything worked beautifully, except for the above mentioned coal. Apparently the coal they used was a mix of soft and anthracite.

Actaully everyone had big smiles on their face. It was funny, when they stopped at Notchland to do a run-by a couple of people pulled over and came running over to us. They asked what was going on? Was it a moose? A bear? When I told them it was a steam locomotive, they went oh! and went back to their car. Where are their priorities? :-D

by Dick H

Snowskier: Great photos.

Someone asked about the coal and water capacity of the 7470. I don't know the coal capacity, but I was told at Crawford's that the tender holds 6,000 gallons and that it was still about half full on arrival at Crawford's. The tanker from the Whitefield FD held 3,000 gallons and the pumper from Twin Mountain held 1,000 gallons, so plenty of water for fill up.

Posts on other lists today that the CSRR will provide two coaches for short fantrips around Gorham NH on August 11th for a centennial celebration of the Gorham Depot. The CSRR will take the coaches to Hazens and the NHCR will take them to Groveton for the SLR to take them to Gorham. SLR power will be used on the excursions.

Dick H

by superwarp1

How often does 7470 do the notch train? Yes, great pics