• Official Conway Scenic Railroad Thread (CSRR)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by NHN503

In the tiny photo it looks like the 573, just ahead of the G. Emma.

2.5 cars past the crossing and the SUV in the ditch...not bad!

by b&m 1566

I was browsing through the net when I came across this site http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,836217 it’s in regards to the 573 being shipped out to the Waterville shops for the winter of 04-05. I know the 573 went out to get work done on the traction motors but I didn't realize all four traction motors were junk; does anyone have more information on this. Also while reading it I got the impression that the rehab of the traction motors was very expensive and people on the site posted expressed their opinion; saying that the 573 should be retired because it’s not worth the money to fix. If this is true why did the CSRR get it fixed? I know it is one of the more popular MEC engines and with that… historical value; is this the reason the CSRR deiced to put money into it?

by Dick H

The "Trainorders" commentary figure of $90,000 seems high for just four traction motors. And it seems strange that all four had failed. It would seem that it would have been cheaper to remove the trucks and separate the traction motors and send them out for repair, instead of going to all the headaches and expense of shipping the locomotive to Waterville. I seem to recall that there were additional repairs done to the #573, in addition to the traction motors. I think the #573 has had several additional other than routine mechanical "issues" since its trip to Waterville. Even with those developments, the 573 work may have still been a good investment in the eyes of CSRR management. I have no idea what the two GE's cost, but so far that decision doesn't look that great. One or both of the ex-MEC U18B's might have been a better investment, but I don't think they had dynamic brakes.

Long live the 573.....

Dick H

by John_Henry

FWIW - at the time, she was not easily replaced as she had steam heat and was a local star. She was also owned by the railroad, unlike the other road power on the proprty at the time.

JH

[quote="b&m 1566"]I was browsing through the net when I came across this site http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,836217 it’s in regards to the 573 being shipped out to the Waterville shops for the winter of 04-05. I know the 573 went out to get work done on the traction motors but I didn't realize all four traction motors were junk; does anyone have more information on this. Also while reading it I got the impression that the rehab of the traction motors was very expensive and people on the site posted expressed their opinion; saying that the 573 should be retired because it’s not worth the money to fix. If this is true why did the CSRR get it fixed? I know it is one of the more popular MEC engines and with that… historical value; is this the reason the CSRR deiced to put money into it?[/quote]

by Otto Vondrak

I'm actually making a return visit to Maine/North Conway next week (June 30)... maybe, just maybe I'll get to see the 7470 in action for the first time!

-otto-

From conwayscenic.com:

"Locomotive #7470 Update 6/1/2007
#7470 has received one new wheel set under her tender and has had extensive work done on the water tank itself to make it tight for the coming season. Four new washout plugs have been turned for her boiler by Boothbay Railway Village in Maine. The locomotive will be inspected by the Federal Railroad Administration Inspector in mid-June and barring any unforeseen problems will return to service on Saturday, June 30, 2007. Call before you come, though, just to make sure!"

by greenus90

Take a good look at the long hood of 573- not sure if they have repainted the hood bolts yet but during the '06, all were chrome, meaning to me they had removed the hood. Rumor has ir that they either rebuilt or R+R'ed the power assemblies, anyway it smokes a lot less now. Also remember, the Mec Operated this for about 30 years, then Gilfraud and the D&H ran it into the ground for another 16 or so before coming on the property. Personally, I think they should do what is necessary to keep it going, not as many GP7's as GP9's left.

by NHN503

Oh thank god! CSRR reapplied the white stripes to the red stripes over the winter/spring.

Last fall at Railfans Weekend it was in "modified black widow" where it was the red nose stripes only and no white pinstripes.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20070 ... 416492.jpg

by b&m 1566

Though the 1055 is in its original look again (which I do like better); I will however have to admit the "Black Widow" look was growing on me. I wouldn't have minded it, had they never painted the white stripes around the red.
Speaking of the 1055 has it made any runs yet?

by NHN503

The white pin stripes really help to define the nose on head on shots for photography.

by greenus90

Was there today, updates:
-7470 was shaken down, southbound. Then proceeded to pull both Conway southbound trains, the last leaving at 4:30. Looks to still have small issues with the injector, though it leaks a lot less now than last fall- I could be wrong.
-2820 U-Boat is on the prowl again, it was on the notch train, solo, with 6 cars.
- One passenger car is in the Paint shop, stall 2 (Mount Bemis?)
- both FP9's were shut down for the day
-573 was running strong, on the bartlett excursions
- 1055 has me concerned- it was painted up all right but looks like it is "stuffed and mounted" with wooden staircases attached to it, it is parked on one of the turntable whiskers
- Interesting note- 4266 is parked next to 501, and BOTH are cordoned off with a "keep out" sign. Trouble with the 470 club? Who knows.

That's all for now, it was a busy railfanning day. Rode the cog to the summit as well, pictues to be posted soon.

by b&m 1566

They did the same thing to the 1055 last year as well when they were painting it. They must still be doing work on the 1055 (still no ditch lights). The 4266 last I checked was doing fine; it may be sitting next to the 501 because the 1055 is sitting where the 4266 usually resides.
Also find it very unusual for the notch train to have 6 cars out at once. Usually they only run 5 except during the foliage season where it becomes 7 cars long. There must have been a big bus trip for them to have 6 cars in use for the notch; unless 6 cars are going to become the norm from now on.

by b&m 1566

Just heard on the news there was a shooting in Conway today; one person reported dead at an Army Barracks store. Police are searching for suspect with rte 16 closed in both directions. Does anyone know if the CSRR is still running to Conway or have all trips south been canceled for the day? Police are telling everyone to remain in doors.

by superwarp1

Heard the same. Two people shot at a Army Navy surplus store

by #7470

Unbelievable to hear about a shooting in Conway New Hampshire.

There seem to be so many changes going on at once to the Conway Scenic to keep up with. I'm going to e-mail Paul Hallett today and ask him about this stuff. Didn't know that the Conway Scenic is going to have a parking lot installed for the Notch riders. Why did they decide to put it way back where the 501 tender is?