Railroad Forums 

• Princeton Junction Station Redevelopment

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#32431  by TAMR213

They seriously do need something for DEAR OL' RUTGERS!

#32485  by ckb

I'm no Rutgers alum, but I totally agree with you guys.

However ... it all revolves around $$$$$. People murmur about converting the Dinky to bus because they (erroneously) believe it will save money. People are interested in developing the land at Princeton Junction because they think it will make money. Developing some kind of (sorely needed) light rail or dedicated BRT in the New Brunswick area would cost much money. If you want to be cynical, note that the people in New Brunswick and Rutgers in general have less money (and political clout) than the Princetonians. The New Brunswick redevelopment (J & J, Hyatt, those couple blocks of shops and restaurants near there) came in the '80s when no one was thinking of transit-oriented development -- city officials were doing anything to keep J & J around. Unfortunately, I suspect it will take some equally drastic threat before we'll see truly adequate transit there.

FWIW, I agree with the success of the food court (at least during lunch hours) but of course this is just driven by the offices (not mixed use). And I agree, a parking deck is probably neccesary at Princeton Junction. I think the waiting lists for monthly parking run years on end. But I think here is where NIMBYism will rear its head. More parking means more traffic in and around the station. Perhaps adding the carrot of a nice "town center" is what is required to win the community approval.

#32525  by GandyDancer

ckb wrote:I'm no Rutgers alum, but I totally agree with you guys.

Unfortunately, I suspect it will take some equally drastic threat before we'll see truly adequate transit there.
Well, that threat is going to be a reality soon. Once the NJ 18 widening into New Brunswick starts, we'll see a taste of the future. Ryders Lane, NJ 27 through Edison and Highland Park and the parking lot formerly known as River Rd. will be a nightmare as traffic tries to move on and off of US1 and the Turnpike.

Nick, Ryan -- get ready for classes on the bus. :D The only fast way across the river will be the NEC. I hope people are ready to shell out for NB-Edison monthlies.
 #32528  by ryanov

Graduated 5/20 and moved to Newark 6/1. No more buses for me ('cept the occaisional odd trip to Busch campus from the train station for work at UMD). Got out in the nick of time looks like -- it was already getting bad!

#32550  by Mark Schweber

Yes ckb I was confused. But actually what I said regarding Princeton (the parking lot by Wawa is not all that small) I think holds for Princeton Junction as well. redevelopment of the parking lot could be economically valuable but has nothing to do with whether the dinky is changed or not.

#32563  by nick11a

We're really going off topic- but that's okay by me!

Yeah, they say next year on the EE, it's going to take about 45 minutes a lot of times to get across town on the bus. It'd be faster to walk! And also, they've eliminated the G and GG that goes right b/w Cook/Douglass and Bush and Livingston so you must now take a bus to CA, then to Bush Livingston. Pretty bad. They are also going to in a year from now push all classes on some of the campuses back an hour.

#32583  by GandyDancer

nick11a wrote: so you must now take a bus to CA, then to Bush Livingston. Pretty bad.
It's all a plot by the grease truck owners to drum up business :D

Sorry, last off-topic post (for today).

#32588  by nick11a

GandyDancer wrote:
nick11a wrote: so you must now take a bus to CA, then to Bush Livingston. Pretty bad.
It's all a plot by the grease truck owners to drum up business :D

Sorry, last off-topic post (for today).
They get enough business! Actually, I have walked by those greasy trucks many times but have not done business there yet and hopefully won't either! And yes, for all you railfans at New Brunswick or conductors and assistants who go through or have lunch in New Brunswick, you walk downstairs, walk over to College Ave and you too can partake in an ancient Rutgers tradition. :wink:

#32590  by Jtgshu

Uh NO, I feel daring and brave when I go to the newsstand under the stairs at NB station.....thats enough excitement for me

And anyone in South Orange can partake in a SHU tradition, the Gaslight, The Blue Moon diner, Cryan's and Bunny's. All, slightly better for the arteries......

#32595  by TAMR213

Nick,

Your a Rutgers student but you are yet to have a fat cat? *gasp*. You really don't know what your missing. Heck, im only a sophmore at HPHS and I love them already. Also, are you sure about the GG? That is probably one of the most heavily used busses in the system. I know its shut down for the summer (like usual), but I think it will be running normally during the year. And well, if they do mess up the GG.... That screws up plans for me (booo!).

#33407  by nick11a

TAMR213 wrote:Nick,

Your a Rutgers student but you are yet to have a fat cat? *gasp*. You really don't know what your missing. Heck, im only a sophmore at HPHS and I love them already. Also, are you sure about the GG? That is probably one of the most heavily used busses in the system. I know its shut down for the summer (like usual), but I think it will be running normally during the year. And well, if they do mess up the GG.... That screws up plans for me (booo!).
Yeah. I try to eat healthy. I wasn't so succesful this past year. Gained 20 pounds thanks to dorm food. But now, I'm eating healthier (not on a diet) and jog and excercise and I'm getting real close to my average wait for my height- which is 200 pounds. Sounds like a lot until you realize that I am 6'4".

New Brunswick is safe during the day time. I do my best to avoid being there between dusk and dawn. So don't worry Jt, you've got nothing to fear- except for maybe, me. :wink: