• Kawasakis Tested

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

when will we be expecting more double deckers in Boston?

by Robert Paniagua

Probably not for a while...

by Diverging Route

What makes you say that? Do you have information from a source? The first four prototype cars are accepted, and in service. The next set -- the first four production cars -- are undergoing acceptance testing.

Kawasaki will be delivering a total of 33 cars for this order, and so we should see regular deliveries. While I have no inside information, a good rule-of-thumb is production of about one car per week, meaning a set-of-four per month.

by CSX Conductor

I'll look in our computer to see if there are any more en-route from Croton next time I work. :wink:

by Robert Paniagua

What makes you say that? Do you have information from a source? The first four prototype cars are accepted, and in service. The next set -- the first four production cars -- are undergoing acceptance testing.

After the 33 900s in order, I doubt there will be anymore, AFAIK.

Hope this helps, who knows though.
  by GP40MC1118

CSX Conductor -

The bulk of this order is being built in Lincoln, Nebraska, not Yonkers.
Unless things have changed.

Dave

by Diverging Route

Robert Paniagua wrote:What makes you say that? Do you have information from a source? The first four prototype cars are accepted, and in service. The next set -- the first four production cars -- are undergoing acceptance testing.

After the 33 900s in order, I doubt there will be anymore, AFAIK.

Hope this helps, who knows though.
My reply was based upon the assumption that the poster was asking when the additional 900s in this order would be arriving.

I agree that there's no immediate expectation of additional cars following 900-932. The current MBTA Capital Plan states that the existing fleet will have mid-life overhauls. So unless the New Bedford extension happens sooner than anyone expects...

by Robert Paniagua

My reply was based upon the assumption that the poster was asking when the additional 900s in this order would be arriving.

Nope, it was beyond the 900-932 order. Sorry for any confusion :-)

But if NB/FR ever go as planned, then more 900s may be needed...

by CSX Conductor

Thanks for the correction Dave, but there aren't any more in the system at all yet. :(

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

sorry, what i meant to ask is when will be expecting more of this order of double deckers

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i got a mesage from a yahoo group that said in Selkirk NY, a train had 4 T cars at the end of the train

"Just got msg from a railfan at Selkirk,NY that he saw at a distance four "T"
cars on a rear of a train.Any one have any info on this move."

by CSX Conductor

Q420-13 (SE-BO) had Kawasaki coaches # 908,909,910 & 911 and arrived in Beacon Park around 1130 last night.
:wink:
  by GP40MC1118

909-912 were delivered by B721 this afternoon behind BET.

D

by Diverging Route

The NETransit Vehicle Inventory page is now showing 900-907 as in service in the South Side/Old Colony fleet. Hopefully the car shortage will now be eased a bit, and some of the trains that had cars cut can be restored. For example, North Side's 308/333 Lowell trains used to be seven cars, and are now six.