• Kawasakis Tested

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by GP40MC1118

BTW, the second batch of K-cars went testing Saturday morning with the 1064. (904-907).

D

by Robert Paniagua

All righty! I hope they enter service within the fall, sooner than the Acela trainsets :-)

by dudeursistershot

Are they eventually replacing all single-decker CR cars with double-decker? It would probably be a good idea...

by AmtrakFan

Robert Paniagua wrote:All righty! I hope they enter service within the fall, sooner than the Acela trainsets :-)
Mr. Paniagua,
They prorably will knowning how long it will take to get Acela back. Are these similar to the MARC ones?

by octr202

Pretty similiar to MARC/VRE, but the rooflines are different, and MBTA cars are 3-2 seating, not the 2-2 on the DC roads. I posted some links in the Metra forum talking about bilevels versus gallery cars.

by Diverging Route

The new Kawasaki bi-levels are not meant to replace anything. They will augment the fleet for the Greenbush Line. In addition, five of the 33 were funded by RI to help augment service to Providence. Until Greenbush goes on-line, the additional cars could give added flexibility for fleet repairs (including mid-life overhauls for the 500/1500s).

by bierhere

The current posted T capital plan shows no midlife overhaul's for either the 500/1500 or 600 series cars until after 2010. There is a plan for a mid-life overhaul on the 1700 and 700 series cars. But, this is currently scheduled for 2008-2010.

What makes you believe that an overhaul of the 500/1500 cars would take place soon?

by sery2831

Well the 500/1500s are not going to last until 2010! Three are currently out of service in need of new floors(502, 515, 1525). Which is probally going to happen to the rest of the cars over the next few years. Several cars have 'soft' floors, sometimes it feels as if you are going to fall through!

by Diverging Route

I agree with SERY2831.

They've already begun replacing the window "glass" on those cars.

by bierhere

I don't disagree with the need to overhaul the 500/1500 cars. I sit in one every day. The floors are soft, seats in terrible condition, A/C works maybe 40-50% of the time. Bathroom seems to be rotting. I only sit in them because the seats are more roomy. 2x2 versus 2x3.

I agree there is no way, that they will last until 2007 let alone 2010.

Are they doing all the cars, or just those that are in dangerous conditions? Besides windows, anything else being done?

by dudeursistershot

But eventually, when some of the single-level cars currently in service begin retirement, is it the T's intention to replace them with bi-levels?

by mb41

Always have to keep some or order new single level cars. A: North routes can't handle double deckers, B: First car behind engine has to be single due to smog/smoke from engine.
:-D

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

mb41 wrote: B: First car behind engine has to be single due to smog/smoke from engine.
not anymore, they are fixing the double deckers so that they are able to be behind the loco's now, i have pics of this type of trainset, and i have seen it many times already

by Porter Sq

mb41 wrote:Always have to keep some or order new single level cars. A: North routes can't handle double deckers, B: First car behind engine has to be single due to smog/smoke from engine.
I think the only line with clearnace issuies is the Haverhill line. While the Fleet Center was under construction they used bi-levels due too shortened platforms on the north side.

by dudeursistershot

They should just fix the bridges so there aren't any clearence issues... Anyway, I got on a train at Route 128 on a weekday morining and we were packed in, standing room only, so it would certainly be a good idea to use all bilevels, especially on the Attleboro line...