• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by pdtrains

Such things, as old crossing protection, are generally grandfathered in, until the crossing is upgraded, at which time it has to be upgraded to current code.

Its that way with most things that have had upgraded code. You dont have to bring them up to code immediately, but if u make improvements, then new code applies.

My old house in Phila probably still has knob and tube wiring
  by Bracdude181

Hmmmm… Well Conrail put the new road surface in before C&D took over, so maybe that’s the catch?
  by AceMacSD

pdtrains wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:12 pm Such things, as old crossing protection, are generally grandfathered in, until the crossing is upgraded, at which time it has to be upgraded to current code.

Its that way with most things that have had upgraded code. You dont have to bring them up to code immediately, but if u make improvements, then new code applies.

My old house in Phila probably still has knob and tube wiring
Somewhat same rules apply. Although in the grand scope of things, better to spend money on a current established crossing sign than pay out to someone who gets hit by the train, claiming there wasn't any "current day" warning signs.
  by PennRail42

There was also just one crossbuck at Academy St. Hence the reason for the upgrade. Why have one new and one old?

It was either keep 1 up, or install 2 new.

Old post went to the historical society according to Facebook post.
  by RFRailFan

PennRail42 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:12 am Central Ave is still OOS so its safe to say Friday
I assume the 11 cars from Tuesday are still sitting in Red Bank. Does that mean a Friday RB-1 will consist of both Tuesday's and Thursday's cars? Could be a long train!
  by MHKProductions

Yes could be a long train, they handled 17 loaded cars not to long ago so it shouldn't be too big of a struggle. Thursday I think SA-31 will consist of only the locomotive on his way back to Browns Yard should be interesting to see, most likely going to be 4408 and that terrible horn.
  by JohnFromJersey

Central Ave Crossing is still OOS (for cars), but the tracks are back in place now.

Also, per a Facebook post in "Freehold secondary railfans," markings for what some people speculate to be a siding have appeared on the side of the tracks where Gold's Lumber used to be. Some markings on one of the steel ties with the number 1 sprayed over it in pink, followed by some pink flags to the right (Gold's Lumber side) of the tracks, and there are quite a few of them spaced over a significant difference from what I can see.

The flags look similar to the flags that seemingly mark where the turnout for the southbound leg will go.
  by AceMacSD

I'm shivering with anticipation for all this speculation. As I've said before, we've still got more work to do. Just wait and see. As for the number of cars going to Lakewood, don't worry. We have a great professional crew and a good strong engine. The work will get done.

As for engines going back lite to Browns, it's been done plenty of times before. If you're out on the Coastline on saturday, you'll be in for a treat.
  by MHKProductions

Yeah SA-31 had 1 box, 4 centerbeams, and tanker on the end. 17 Cars for RB-01 on friday. If you would like to see the videos and photos I caught of SA-31 I could share them!