• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by AceMacSD

CharlieL wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:15 am Well, they're gonna do something with those several hundred new ties (and more being unloaded) sitting at Howell Rd.

Runaround?
There's a plan in place. We're still working out there. Wait and see.
  by Ken W2KB

Sir Ray wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:04 am
Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:39 am North at Squankum Road 10:52 AM. Somebody knocked down one of the train crossings here…
This crossing I guess? Why don't they add guard bollards like you find at gasoline pumps? Use big heavy steel ones planted deep into the ground?
Probably for liability reasons, as a vehicle occupant seriously injured by reason of the vehicle striking an immovable object would likely be able to sue and recover a substantial judgment. That said, a crush zone in front of the bollards such as that often seen at highway exits, etc. would likely minimize any liability.
  by AWSmith

Probably for liability reasons, as a vehicle occupant seriously injured by reason of the vehicle striking an immovable object would likely be able to sue and recover a substantial judgment. That said, a crush zone in front of the bollards such as that often seen at highway exits, etc. would likely minimize any liability.
I've seen crossing signals surrounded by a ring of Armco rail https://youtu.be/sYEFogQzeYY?si=vb-XOGVmgWe6le_c
  by lensovet

Ken W2KB wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:14 pm
Sir Ray wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:04 am
Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:39 am North at Squankum Road 10:52 AM. Somebody knocked down one of the train crossings here…
This crossing I guess? Why don't they add guard bollards like you find at gasoline pumps? Use big heavy steel ones planted deep into the ground?
I also don't know why this one crossing deserves such special treatment.
  by Bracdude181

I’m not sure how much of a difference it would make if I’m honest. People are known to speed in that road and I’ve frequently seen people run those lights there at 60 MPH. At those speeds what difference will crash barriers make in protecting the crossing?

IMO they should put up barriers at spots where vehicles are known to park on the tracks in town since that is a far more common occurrence than crossing poles being knocked down. Though I will say, instances of crossings being knocked over have been more common lately than they were towards the end of Conrail…
  by Bracdude181

They already run regularly. More so now than the Conrail days. They just don’t care where they park is all. No joke I’ve seen people park vehicles almost in the middle of the street nevermind on the tracks!!!
  by Wolfgang5150

Some kind of work is taking place down Railroad ave in Farmingdale right now. Had tents up keep equipment dry I’m imagining and that backhoe was out as well. Saw it at the central ave crossing while driving by
  by Bracdude181

They are gonna rebuild the road surface at Central Ave I think. It’s still damaged on the north side where SA31 hit it during the March 2022 derailment.
  by Bracdude181

Central Ave as of 3 PM ishImage
Replaced all the track on the north side that was busted in the derailment, but not in the last picture. More of that got torn out than what was replaced.

They also replaced the old CNJ crossing sign at Academy Street, which I’m scratching my head at cause there was nothing wrong with it…
  by Bracdude181

Oops. Forgot to mention they also did a lot of brush clearing in Lakewood. Especially over by Seventh Street.
  by AceMacSD

Bracdude181 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:04 pm They also replaced the old CNJ crossing sign at Academy Street, which I’m scratching my head at cause there was nothing wrong with it…
Don't scratch too hard. The crossbucks were outdated. Don't worry though they went to a good home.
Last edited by AceMacSD on Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.