Railroad Forums 

• New Crossovers at Hudson (NJ)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1272585  by twropr

Any idea why two high speed crossovers would be placed in service at Hudson? Believe one is a #23 and the other a #32. What would the diverging move speed through these be? Can a train get across all three tracks there?

Andy
 #1272593  by ThirdRail7

twropr wrote:Any idea why two high speed crossovers would be placed in service at Hudson?
Who said they were high speed crossovers?
twropr wrote: Believe one is a #23 and the other a #32.
Hardly conclusive since is was discussed just over a year ago in the Virginia Barrel Siding to be taken OOS thread.

twropr wrote: What would the diverging move speed through these be? Can a train get across all three tracks there?

Andy
Again, although the switch panels were installed quite some time ago, they are not in service. So, why not ask the person who told you they were high speed crossovers what the speed will be?
 #1272986  by RRspatch

twropr wrote:Any idea why two high speed crossovers would be placed in service at Hudson? Believe one is a #23 and the other a #32. What would the diverging move speed through these be? Can a train get across all three tracks there?

Andy
I think you're confusing CETC switch numbering system with high speed turnout numbering. In the CETC system (carried over to the ARINC system) switch numbers (more or less) indicate the track the switch starts on to the track the switch goes to going south to north and west to east. The No.23 switch therefor takes you from No.2 track to No.3 track. There are of course some exceptions to this system especially in larger plants.

Turnout numbers, based on the speed of the switch, are even numbers. Amtrak uses two types of turnouts on main tracks. They are a number 20 turnout which is good for 45MPH and a number 32 turnout which is good for 80MPH (I think, might be 90MPH now). The No.21 switch (2 to 1 track northbound) at "Grove" is a number 32 turnout which got you a "Cab speed" back when I had CETC 1 on afternoons. Out west on BNSF, where I now work, we use a number 24 turnout which is good for 50MPH.

Remembering my CETC daze .......
 #1273012  by BuddSilverliner269

Ok I may be in Florida for the week but I do have this week's bulletin order and it states that 2 new high speed crossovers were installed and in service effective this past Monday. After reading that, I would agree with the OP that these are high speed crossovers since it's black and white(ok really pink and black) unless they aren't really high speed and it's a misprint like the misprint a few months ago about the work being done on Harrisburg interlocking. Wait, what???? Lol. It was changed a few weeks later.
 #1273084  by 25Hz

This is part of upgrade work related to portal and gateway according to PDF's i've seen.

Supposedly the end product is to take out the bottleneck between DOCK and east of HUDSON with the new higher speeds of the portal replacement.

This is based on PDF's posted here and elsewhere.
 #1273187  by twropr

A very reliable source told me that the reference to "high speed" crossovers in the BO was a misprint. Apparently, the #23 and #32 actually applied to the switch numbers rather than the turnout specs. Interestingly enough, an old BO from '03 that shows a schematic in connection with placing "REA", "Erie", "Lack" and "Allied" in service shows crossovers at Hudson between tracks 2 and 3 that were numbered 23 and 32. Maybe these were removed a few years later, only to be put back again?

Andy
 #1273197  by Thomas

What does the new Hudson Crossover have to do with the Harrison Fourth Track Project?

Does anyone have any pictures of the new crossover?
 #1273640  by ThirdRail7

Jersey_Mike wrote:If the movable point frog uses two point machines then it is definitely an HST.
And if there are no movable point frogs? :wink:
 #1273726  by 25Hz

ThirdRail7 wrote:
Jersey_Mike wrote:If the movable point frog uses two point machines then it is definitely an HST.
Then it is a pony?
 #1274060  by Jersey_Mike

ThirdRail7 wrote:
Well are there or aren't there?
 #1274231  by ThirdRail7

Jersey_Mike wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:
Well are there or aren't there?
Negative. Solid frogs. Unless something breaks down, I don't think they will see much use in the immediate future. If anyone uses these crossovers, let us know.
 #1274441  by timz

twropr wrote:an old BO from '03 that shows a schematic in connection with placing "REA", "Erie", "Lack" and "Allied" in service shows crossovers at Hudson between tracks 2 and 3 that were numbered 23 and 32.
Those never existed, did they?
 #1274675  by ThirdRail7

timz wrote:
twropr wrote:an old BO from '03 that shows a schematic in connection with placing "REA", "Erie", "Lack" and "Allied" in service shows crossovers at Hudson between tracks 2 and 3 that were numbered 23 and 32.
Those never existed, did they?
They did indeed.