• New Crossovers at Hudson (NJ)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by timz

Where were they-- between which signals? Why and when did they take them out?
  by ThirdRail7

timz wrote:Where were they-- between which signals? Why and when did they take them out?

They were put back within the same limits of where they were removed. However, the actual switches were moved west a bit, resulting in (what I assume) is a better crossover speed for some of the crossovers. AS JM mentioned, they were tight 15mph turnouts.

I believe they were removed somewere between 2006-2008 or so? Maybe 2010? They were removed because you didn't really need them since Swift is less than a mile away and you have Dock and Hudson on the other side. What they underestimated is all ofthe movement and work through Hudson Yard these days. Restoring them will give greter operating flexibility through the area, particularly with track equipment and work trains while also establishing a backup for Swift, particularly if the remove it from service.
  by timz

Did the 15 mph x-overs between the mains have power switches circa 2005? If so, which signals protected them?
  by Jersey_Mike

timz wrote:Did the 15 mph x-overs between the mains have power switches circa 2005? If so, which signals protected them?
The same signals that protected everything else in HUDSON post re-signaling. Friend of mine who used to work HUDSON always hated how they relocated the Hudson yard lead eastward to a point where one could no longer crossover a train at HUDSON into the yard...having to use the SWIFT crossovers instead.