• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by markhb

And on that note, NNEPRA has posted their draft EA and its appendices (link is to a page with a lot of PDFs available for download).

From the cover letter in Appendix C, "MaineDOT Investigation of Industrial Site Alternative for Layover Facility":
Per your request, we have reviewed the potential cost difference of constructing a rail layover facility by the
Northern New England Passenger Rail Association (NNEPRA) at the West Brunswick and Industrial Park
Sites in Brunswick. The results of our review indicate the rail layover facility will cost approximately $2.8
million more to construct at the Industrial Park Site than at West Brunswick Site. We also estimate that the
time to deliver the project will be increased by approximately 2.5 years.
  by mr. mick

Has anyone seen any reports on the meeting soliciting folks input that was held in Brunswick last Thursday evening? I searched the Portland paper but found no information.
  by MEC407

Yes, a reporter from The Forecaster was there, and the Bangor Daily News picked up his article as well.
Bangor Daily News wrote:Opponents of a proposed layover facility for Amtrak passenger rail trains in Brunswick came out in force Thursday night for a public hearing on the project’s environmental impact.
. . .
A majority of the 26 speakers at the town’s meeting room at Brunswick Station challenged an environmental assessment that shows the Amtrak Downeaster depot would not adversely impact an abutting neighborhood.
. . .
The project also had some vocal proponents, including Town Councilor Margo Knight, Debora King of the Brunswick Downtown Association and longtime advocate of the train service, Wayne Davis.

“In my opinion, I think [the Downeaster's operator] has done due diligence in finding the best space available [for the facility],” Knight said, “and also in doing as much mitigation as possible.”

“The environmental assessment shows conclusively, even repeatedly, that the effects — environmental and other — fall well within public guidelines,” Jeff Reynolds of Redwood Lane said.
. . .
If the Federal Railroad Authority determines additional analysis is required, it could delay the construction of the train facility and require Downeaster trains to continue to idle up to five hours a day.
Read more at: http://bangordailynews.com/2013/09/27/n ... tal-study/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by chuchubob

mr. mick wrote:Has anyone seen any reports on the meeting soliciting folks input that was held in Brunswick last Thursday evening? I searched the Portland paper but found no information.
Bangor Daily News
  by Cowford

August riderhip is published in ATK's monthly performance report: Up 3.8% YOY (60,044 vs. 57,853 ); revenue up 7.4% ($929,299 vs. $864,896)

Solid performance, and I'm impressed with revenue performance. But (and you knew there was going to be a "but") I'm curious about a statement made in last months report. It stated that ridership east of Portland is running 50% above expectations. OK, first year NEW (not extended from Portland) ridership growth was projected to be 36,000. On a seasonally adjusted basis, that would translate to 10,400 pax between June and August. However, ridership growth (a) is only up 4,500 for that period; and (b) ridership has been below budget projections in all three months (-1.6% in June; -1.7% in July; -0.5% in August). Unless they're bleeding ridership elsewhere, something doesn't add up.
  by travelrobb

Hi folks-

My wife and two kids and I are all making the journey from North Station to Portland next Thursday -- where are the best seats for railroad views? For other scenic views? What are the mileposts/locations we should be watching for?

We're on 11:35 departure from Boston, so I'm assuming the train will be wide open for us.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. My apologies if this has already been covered in the previous 315 pages of this thread!

-Robb
  by jcpatten

Either side get you some good views, I'd say the marginally better views are on the east (right) side of the train if you are headed north. That way you'll get to see the ocean once you hit Old Orchard Beach. If you are returning on the train then sit on the opposite side on the way back!
  by mr. mick

Some things to look for if you are sitting on the right side, facing forward ( the front half of the coach): the two B & M RDCs that sit in the North Station yard, the western side of Haverhill that lies along the Merrimack River, the University of New Hampshire facilities in Durham, the original Wells Beach station just after stopping in Wells, A good view of the Saco river dams as you travel and stop int Saco, Downtown Old Orchard Beach (OOB), The Scarborough Marsh just north of OOB, Rigby Yard in South Portland , a portion of the Portland working waterfront as you cross the river into Portland, and a lot of the the mile point markers as you travel north. The following are some of the abandoned stations are also visible on the right side ( heading North): East Kingston, Exeter, Durham, Wells Beach, Biddeford. (List is not comlete)
  by markhb

I would say the right side as well. The only sights on the inland side I can think of offhand are Lowell Junction, and the new Veterans' Bridge as you cross the harbor into Portland. The latter isn't much to see by daylight, but at night it has a lighting system that is fairly nice. But, additional sights I would mention on the seaward (right) side are downtown Haverhill (which, from earlier posts, sounds like the view far surpasses the "boots on the ground" experience), and, just before you enter Rigby Yard in South Portland, the Turner's Island Railroad cutting off into the trees; the TI is the last operational remnant of the Eastern Route.

If you go back about a year ago in this thread, you'll find quite a long "things to do in Portland" discussion if your itinerary is not fully set, and I'm sure we could find some folks here to go over it all again :D . Have a great trip!
  by NealG

I would say either is fine too. I do think one of the prettiest parts though is the point the tracks run alongside the Merrimack River between Lawrence and Haverhill (left side of the northbound train), but I think there are more scenic farmland and ocean views on the opposite side further north on the route. One thing to consider (as with most north-south trains I guess) if you're sensitive to the sun and depending on what time of day you ride, is which side is the sunny side and which side is the shady side (right side for northbound in the morning and southbound afternoon). I arrived in Portland on one sunny day with a very slight sunburn on the right side of my face.
  by Cowford

NNEPRA has posted a schedule change, effective Oct 15. Notable: The BRU-FRE shuttle has been eliminated, as have the morning and evening POR-BRU shuttles... will run strictly as deadheads, I suppose?
  by Arlington

Cowford wrote:NNEPRA has posted a schedule change, effective Oct 15. Notable: The BRU-FRE shuttle has been eliminated, as have the morning and evening POR-BRU shuttles... will run strictly as deadheads, I suppose?
Nice catch. If it means they can save on a little staff and bit of running time, its a nice gesture to bring costs down in line with ridership.
  by markhb

I expected the BRK-FRE shuttle to end with the winter schedule, regardless of whether it had been successful. Regarding the dropping of the rump runs between POR and BRK, I realize that it helps with scheduling since they can move the train at any time as opposed to holding a scheduled slot, but will it really save on staff costs? Unless they can have some staff board (or leave) in Portland on the way back through and skip the tail end of the trip, wouldn't they all get paid the same for being on the train whether the doors are open or not?
  by Dick H

On the weekends, they recrewed #691 at Portland around 11:30AM, who took the train
to Brunswick, babysat the train for the afternoon at Brunswick and did the BRU-FRE
shuttle and took the train back to Portland as #698, which was recrewed for the
trip to Boston. Under the new schedule, they could have the #691 crew continue
all the way to Brunswick, taxi them "home" to Portland and taxi the new crew to
Brunswick for #698. This would save a crew on Saturday and Sunday unless there
is some policy that the trainset has to be babysat at Brunswick for security purposes.
I do not know how they are handling the Brunswick layover situation on weekdays.
  by p42thedowneaster

I saw #683 today. There were horrible flat spots on some of the wheels, particularly the cabbage trailing behind. How fast can you go with flat spot wheels before you damage the track or equipment?