• Noticed/Questioned Major Delays, Annulments, Reroutes

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by AMTK1007

CSX Conductor wrote:Any confirmation of a trespasser strike on #7 Friday night/early Saturday morning?
Both and 8 were delayed by a freight train with a trespasser incident neither 7&8 were directly involved
  by ThirdRail7

shlustig wrote:Does anybody know why #50 (16th) eastbound Cardinal and #51 (17th) westbound Cardinal lost 5'00" and 4'00" respectively between CVS and Hinton?
CSX had a major derailment that impacted operations through the area. Severe congestion resulted once the railroad opened.
  by The EGE

The NEC is blasted today due to heat restrictions. 173 lost almost two hours between Providence and Kingston with the single-tracking, a lot of the afternoon trains are running an hour or more late, and 179 appears to have died between NLC and NHV last night.
  by ThirdRail7

The EGE wrote:The NEC is blasted today due to heat restrictions. 173 lost almost two hours between Providence and Kingston with the single-tracking, a lot of the afternoon trains are running an hour or more late, and 179 appears to have died between NLC and NHV last night.
173 didn't lose two hours due to single tracking. 170, 173, 2163 lost the majority of their time due to a problem at an interlocking, which may or may not have to do with the heat. This problem has cropped up at this particular interlocking in great weather so we'll see if the heat caused it. Aside from that, there are heat restrictions EVERYWHERE!! CSX, Amtrak, NS, Pan Am, Metro North, NECR, you name it!

Additionally, 179 didn't die between NLC and NHV. It was delayed along with many other trains as you can see in this news report: Transformer Fire Causes Metro-North Delays
  by khecht

The EGE wrote:The NEC is blasted today due to heat restrictions. 173 lost almost two hours between Providence and Kingston with the single-tracking, a lot of the afternoon trains are running an hour or more late, and 179 appears to have died between NLC and NHV last night.
I was on 178 out of WAS this afternoon. It was initially listed as delayed, ClubAcela said engine problems, but then they boarded us only a couple late. Noticed them dropping and raising the pans on the AEM-7 several times as I walked up to the business class car. Unsurprisingly, got on board to no head end power and a nice and toasty car. About 10 min past departure time, the conductor came on and said the engine arrived late and they were configuring it. HEP came on for about 5 min then out again. 10 min after that the delay was blamed on a power outage at the station and all the switches needed to be reset. I don't know if they were talking about catenary, terminal, signal or what kind of power or if it was a random theory, but as he was announcing this we got HEP back and left a few later. Stopped for another 15 min in the middle of the Bush River bridge due to a dead train ahead (MARC or Amtrak, I don't know) then made it to NYP 46 late, though it's estimated only 8 late into BOS. Speed restrictions were announced but I didn't notice anything unusual south of PHL.

There seemed to have been more delays in the Baltimore area later this evening, I assume due to the additional storms that went through there after I had gone.
  by The EGE

ThirdRail, thanks for the clarifications. I was going only on the arrival data files.

I speculated that 179 had died because it spent almost seven hours on a 30-mile segment of track.

I was on 174 today; it was 1:03 late into New London and lost about 15 more, mostly before Providence.
  by buddah

Ive been away ( from the railroad community) for so long ( due to work) but I had to come back to post one delay that happened to me on Friday, Included a pic for you guys as well.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8453967@N0 ... ist-fdFaB4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; As luck would have it I was one of the passengers waiting on #58 in Kankakee that morning right before it hit a pick up truck.
  by eastwind

Bad days for the Lake Shore Limited?

Train 48(19), the eastbound, left Chicago 1h22m late at 22:52 (10:52 pm) Friday evening. Waiting for late connections from the West? It got to Albany 5h53m late at 20:43 Saturday, and arrived New York 5h19m late at 23:54 Saturday, just before midnight. Too late for most connections.
The Boston section, 448(20) left Albany 5h55m late at 21:20 Saturday and arrived Boston South Station 5h23m late at 02:33 Sunday morning! Wasn't South Station closed at that hour? Did they let the passengers (at least those in the sleeper) stay aboard—and asleep—until a more reasonable hour?

Yesterday's 48(20) left Chicago 2h31m late at 00:01 Sunday (today) and isn't reported yet at Schenectady as of 17:30 today, having been 2h55m late at Utica at 15:37.

Anybody know what's going on?
  by matthewsaggie

Bad weekend in Charlotte area- on Saturday evening 79 hit a pedestrian in Burlington, NC. Sadly no relief engineer was available, so engineer had to take train on into Charlotte. Sun AM, 19 was 4:15 late into Charlotte- supposedly trees down on track in Charlottesville VA area. The this evening 79 was only 30 min behind at N. Kannapolis when flood warnings were posted resulting in a 15 MPH ride for the last 25 miles, getting in 2 hrs late. Same weather forecast here for the next week.
  by 25Hz

Seems like this summer is chok-full-o-problems. Hopefully things will smooth out soon.
  by Backshophoss

Most of the western LD trains have been slowed down due to heat restrictions imposed by the Host RR's,
most are around 50-60 mph range MAS untill cancelled by the RR involved,add to that the freights(intermodals) that are slowed down as well
by the heat restrictions.
Both 3(20) and 4(20) are running about 1.5 hours late due to the heat restrictions and congestion created by the restrictions.
  by chuchubob

JoeG wrote:What happened to 50(20)? It's 9:04 down leaving Hinton. Seems to lose time as it goes....
Killed a trespasser in Indiana.
  by Railjunkie

eastwind wrote:Bad days for the Lake Shore Limited?

Train 48(19), the eastbound, left Chicago 1h22m late at 22:52 (10:52 pm) Friday evening. Waiting for late connections from the West? It got to Albany 5h53m late at 20:43 Saturday, and arrived New York 5h19m late at 23:54 Saturday, just before midnight. Too late for most connections.
The Boston section, 448(20) left Albany 5h55m late at 21:20 Saturday and arrived Boston South Station 5h23m late at 02:33 Sunday morning! Wasn't South Station closed at that hour? Did they let the passengers (at least those in the sleeper) stay aboard—and asleep—until a more reasonable hour?

Yesterday's 48(20) left Chicago 2h31m late at 00:01 Sunday (today) and isn't reported yet at Schenectady as of 17:30 today, having been 2h55m late at Utica at 15:37.

Generally if 49 is late arriving in CHI 48 will be tardy on the turn. Add in NS heat restrictions, the CSX derailment clean up at CP 437 plus there own heat restrictions tie gangs ect and there you have it.

Once the B&A side gets two Boston passengers are off loaded the train is taken to South Hampton street and prepped for the next day. Had a few trips over there while OJT were 0100-0200h was the norm.

As for 49(21) when I got in last night off a late 64 the B&A side was in and they were ordering pizza for the train, the NY side wasn't expected in till 2200-2230h
  by AMTK1007

Railjunkie wrote:
eastwind wrote:Bad days for the Lake Shore Limited?

Generally if 49 is late arriving in CHI 48 will be tardy on the turn. Add in NS heat restrictions, the CSX derailment clean up at CP 437 plus there own heat restrictions tie gangs ect and there you have it.

Once the B&A side gets two Boston passengers are off loaded the train is taken to South Hampton street and prepped for the next day. Had a few trips over there while OJT were 0100-0200h was the norm.

As for 49(21) when I got in last night off a late 64 the B&A side was in and they were ordering pizza for the train, the NY side wasn't expected in till 2200-2230h
Friday night the NS had flash flood warings up east of Chicago. MAS=15 miles per hour while in effect. that will certainly through a schedule out of wack
Last edited by AMTK1007 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.