• Noticed/Questioned Major Delays, Annulments, Reroutes

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by The EGE

Judging from comments in the MBTA forum, it appears that #175's locomotive died in Back Bay, thus taking out one of three NEC tracks for the entire evening rush. Separately, there was a wire down near South Attleboro.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

twropr wrote:Anyone know what happened on Amtrak's Shore Line between Boston and Providence last night? #2173, #177 and #179 all departed South Station late, #175 lost 2'17" BOS-Back Bay and all eastbound Amtrak's beginning with #2158 (leaving PVD at 3:10 pm) were losing time to BOS until #2166, which left PVD at 6:59 pm.

Thanks!

Andy
AMTK #175 died at Back Bay station on Trk 1. At the time of the untimely death of an HHP-8, both Trks 2 and 3 were being used for inbounds, as they usually are during the 3:15p hour range. Hence, all outbound had to hold at South Station until Trk 3 opened up. Also, there were no signals between Mansfield and Attleboro, trains needed Form D's to proceed thru this area, AND a wire came down at South Attleboro on Trk 2. When I rolled by on MBTA #813 thru LAWN, there was an unknown Regional, Express, and MBTA all sitting on Trk 2, waiting to gain access for Trk 1 thru the single track area. Delays added up quickly Friday night all over the Southside due to no equipment and crews. IDK how long #175 sat at BBY until a rescue unit for Southampton arrived
  by ThirdRail7

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote: AMTK #175 died at Back Bay station on Trk 1. At the time of the untimely death of an HHP-8, both Trks 2 and 3 were being used for inbounds, as they usually are during the 3:15p hour range.
Wait! Do you mean an HHP-8 died in the summer? Surely, you jest! :-D
  by shlustig

Does anybody know why:

A. #50 (8th) eastbound Cardinal lost 4' 30" IND to CIN and another 3'00 CIN to WAS; and

B. #353 (10th) westbound Wolverine lost 3'00" JXN to Albion?
  by ThirdRail7

twropr wrote:What happened on the NEC today between Wilmington and Baltimore that delayed several trains?

Andy
Flash flood storms that flooded tracks, knocked down trees, brought down wires. You know...the usual mayhem.
  by lirr42

I will be taking 48/49 from NYP to CHI this Thursday and I will be returning CHI->NYP Saturday night. Does anybody know if there are any "surprises" in store for me?

(i.e. I have tickets to a 3:05pm Cubs game, is the "Late For Sure Limited" going to cause me any trouble!?)
  by 25Hz

lirr42 wrote:I will be taking 48/49 from NYP to CHI this Thursday and I will be returning CHI->NYP Saturday night. Does anybody know if there are any "surprises" in store for me?

(i.e. I have tickets to a 3:05pm Cubs game, is the "Late For Sure Limited" going to cause me any trouble!?)
Just keep an eye here:
http://www.amtrak.com/service-alerts-and-notices" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And call amtrak as often as you'd like on up to date info if they have an unscheduled reroute or any other nonsense. :)
  by Backshophoss

Scratch an other P-42,#4(13) had a run in with a car carrier near the NMRX Rio Bravo/Sunport station(mp 905.3),
the lead unit was dropped at ABQ(nose,number board+windshield busted).
Amtk 93 was the protect unit in town facing west,news reports have a BNSF unit on as lead.
#4(13) is running 4.5 hours late out of Lamy as of now(per Dixeland maps site).
An update: a couple train crew members were injuried and taken to hospital,
The car carrier was attempting to turn on to 2nd street and was held up by cross traffic as the gates came down,
the Traffic Light is "synced" wth the gates there as well.
  by Backshophoss

A warning: http://www.abqjournal.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a paywall site! The "added"attraction was illegal drugs stashed in the chevy remains!!
NMSP now controls the investagation,that chevy was a 1 way PHX-ABQ transfer.(from http://www.kob.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
  by srock1028

A147 (17) reported to have an engine fire in Newark Penn Station. Not sure what engine was in the lead.
  by ThirdRail7

srock1028 wrote:A147 (17) reported to have an engine fire in Newark Penn Station. Not sure what engine was in the lead.
I believe it was traction motor burnout, not the entire engine. In any case, another lovely HHP-8 is sidelined. What kind of coral reef do you think the HHP-8s will make? :P
  by twropr

There was an interesting example of congestion in Richmond tonight, where #195, #91 and #53 closely follow eachother and #90 leaves the station after #53 clears (when all are running on time).
#195 arrived RVR at 5:48 pm, discharged its passengers and proceeded south to turn on the wye at AY for a Richmond-NY train that would depart the following morning. #53 caught up to #195 at Ashland and followed the train on mostly approach signals to HR (the first interlocking south of Staples Mills Station), where it was held about 5 min for a late running #90, which arrived at 5:45 pm (between HR and AY, Amtrak can use either the Passenger Main or TK 3; #195 was on TK 3 so #53 had to wait for #90 to clear the PM). The equipment returning from #195's wye move had to wait for #53 clear before entering the station, which caused #91 to lose about 10 min. being held out. Finally #90 had to wait about 9 min. for #91 to clear GN (the interlocking at the north end of RVR station) before departing at 6:04 pm.
Will be a better situation is VA follows through with plans to build additional bypass tracks around Acca.

Andy
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

ThirdRail7 wrote:
srock1028 wrote:A147 (17) reported to have an engine fire in Newark Penn Station. Not sure what engine was in the lead.
I believe it was traction motor burnout, not the entire engine. In any case, another lovely HHP-8 is sidelined. What kind of coral reef do you think the HHP-8s will make? :P
I think we can evenly share them up and down the Eastern seaboard, seeing as their lives were, ummm well spent on the Northeast Corridor...a few off of Boston Harbor, Long Island Sound, heck, why not one into the Potomac