Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by JLo

Yep, that's the artist's rendition from TR's site. Yeah, it resembles the ALP46. I like the design, TR hates it. We'll just have to wait and see them in action to wait for final judgement.
TR should know, as I believe he was involved with the design to some extent (NJT sometimes wisely allows personnel input on designs).

by nick11a

JLo wrote:
Yep, that's the artist's rendition from TR's site. Yeah, it resembles the ALP46. I like the design, TR hates it. We'll just have to wait and see them in action to wait for final judgement.
TR should know, as I believe he was involved with the design to some extent (NJT sometimes wisely allows personnel input on designs).
Yup, he was part of the ergo team. There is a nice shot of him and other engineers freezing their buns off in upstate NY on either his or the Hoboken site.

by ABCD

From what I understand testing at TTC In Colorado is going very well. The lean tests were all good, and so far the unit has been certified upto 100 mph.
So Far So good!!

by Jtgshu

Is Alstom still building the units or does everything go on hold until the testing is completed so it would be easier to make modifications and changes?

If they are still being built, how far along are they, how many complete enignes and how many are in the early stages???

by nick11a

Glad to hear it is going well! Can't wait (but you know that already.) :-D

by ABCD

Is Alstom still building the units or does everything go on hold until the testing is completed so it would be easier to make modifications and changes?
Yes we are still building the units with the exception of painting, when the testing and certification is completed any needed mods will be done, then painted and then shipped.

Our production is almost to the stage where we will be producing 3 a week. There are 2 completly built (less paint) that are out for certification, and 2 more ready for engine start up.

by BigDell

I had to laugh. That was me on page 3. Butt-ugly was the description I used and still use for these PL42things... I stand by my previous post:
wherein I wrote:Automotive manufacturers are bringing back some of the old car designs (or at least retro-styling) with great success. I wish some locomotive manufacturer would take the hint
Shoe box with windows.
Where is the personality of this thing???? (YES, I am speaking as a railfan from an aesthetic POV...)
BigDell

by thebigc

Sorry to say but these things are not built for aesthetic pleasure.

I just hope they're vaguely reliable. And the seats are comfy. :-D

by Irish Chieftain

Reliability and engineer comfort—I will second that. Appearance-wise, doesn't matter to me if they were GP60PH-2MACs or whatever (funny how EMD never made something like that but instead made much-villified Frankenstein-monsters like the F59PHI)...

by sullivan1985

So um... how much longer do we think it will be before these strangers to the NJT system finally get their introduction?

I've been hearing around october/november, at the latest, december...

by nick11a

sullivan1985 wrote:I've been hearing around october/november, at the latest, december...
Yup, October/November/December sounds about right to me. :-D

Btw, love your avatar. And I think I can see my reflection on the Geep. :wink:
  by Jamshid

It resembles more to Alstom competitor Siemens Hercules design than Alstom genuine well known Prima scheme:

Siemens Hercules design used for Austerian RH2016 locomotives. Note to chamfered corners.

Well known Alstom Prima Design which has been used virtually for all Alstom recent mainline locomotives except NJT ones.

According to many sources these locomotives will cost more than $5 million each for NJT. I wonder why the price of these locomotives exceed twice the price of equivalent locomotives in Europe in spite of considerable number of ordered locomotives. (33 locomotives ordered.)

Today single piece windshields are more common. (As can be seen in above photos) But NJT locomotives have two small and ugly winshields with limited sight range for drivers!

by Irish Chieftain

I wonder why the price of these locomotives exceed twice the price of equivalent locomotives in Europe in spite of considerable number of ordered locomotives
Additional FRA/AAR crashworthiness requirements. US has its own specs.

by Tadman

Somebody mentioned F59PHI's as monsters - were these junk? It seems like everybody but Metra and Amtrak bought them in the 1990's and then they disappeard.

by DutchRailnut

lets make that another tread on EMD board or so , this is NJT and the subject has been covered about the F59phi's this tread s about the PL42ac's