Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by hsr_fan

I personally think the PL42AC is decent looking. Like the GE Genesis diesels, it looks like a modern passenger locomotive. But, also like the Genesis diesels, it looks a bit too angular. I do prefer the rounded curves of yesterday's streamlined diesels to the sharp edge, angular look of today's locomotives.

Now, the Acela Express - there's a great looking train! I think the Acela looks as good as any train of yesteryear did.

by 7 Train

I really like the Acela HHP-8. It is basically a mini version of the Acela Express.

by nick11a

Any updates yet on the PL42AC's? Just curious. The first one should be well into testing by now and almost done I should think.

by ABCD

Yes the first one from Hornell is in test right now, and the testing is progressing with initial engine start up coming this coming week.

I tell you these units are massive, and complicated.

by BigDell

May they go the way of the E60....
BigDell

(someone get me a loco with CLASS!)

by nick11a

ABCD wrote:Yes the first one from Hornell is in test right now, and the testing is progressing with initial engine start up coming this coming week.

Thanks as usual ABCD. Keep us updated. Do you still think they'll be able to get them all done on time? It's gonna be close (and I'm really anxious to get a chance to see them fully assembled and painted either in picture or person!)

by thebigc

BigDell wrote:
May they go the way of the E60....
BigDell

(someone get me a loco with CLASS!)
Great. Another annuity for the mechanical dept.

by Mr Met

will these be painted like the alp-46's

by nick11a

Mr Met wrote:will these be painted like the alp-46's
According to the preliminary art, yes.

http://www.ble272.org/PL42ACartist'sConcept.jpg

by njt4172

Is it entirely possible that these units will be pulling Comet I's if they are delivered on time?? Does anyone know when the first operational unit will be arriving MMC???

Thanks,
Steve

by nick11a

njt4172 wrote:Is it entirely possible that these units will be pulling Comet I's if they are delivered on time?? Does anyone know when the first operational unit will be arriving MMC???

Thanks,
Steve
Which brings up another question. Are these units able to work with Comet Is? I recall reading in here that the ALPs weren't designed to work with the Comet Is and that is why you don't see the ALPs pulling them. So, will these units be able to work with the Comet Is?

by njt4172

nick11a wrote:
njt4172 wrote:Is it entirely possible that these units will be pulling Comet I's if they are delivered on time?? Does anyone know when the first operational unit will be arriving MMC???

Thanks,
Steve
Which brings up another question. Are these units able to work with Comet Is? I recall reading in here that the ALPs weren't designed to work with the Comet Is and that is why you don't see the ALPs pulling them. So, will these units be able to work with the Comet Is?
Nick,

The aLP-44's can operate with Comet I's, but I am not sure abotu the ALP-46's...BigC or sirsonic should know for sure1!!

by nick11a

njt4172 wrote:
nick11a wrote:

Thanks,
Steve
Nick,

The aLP-44's can operate with Comet I's, but I am not sure abotu the ALP-46's...BigC or sirsonic should know for sure1!!
That's what I thought but I remember someone saying here they try not to do that b/c it wasn't designed for that. I do believe that I have seen picture of the ALP44s being used with the C1s somewher. Hmm.....

by ABCD

Thanks as usual ABCD. Keep us updated. Do you still think they'll be able to get them all done on time? It's gonna be close (and I'm really anxious to get a chance to see them fully assembled and painted either in picture or person!)
From what I have seen and heard Nick, Yes we will get them all done in time. Like I said earlier the first one (out of Hornell) will be track testing by the end of next week.

by nick11a

ABCD wrote:
From what I have seen and heard Nick, Yes we will get them all done in time. Like I said earlier the first one (out of Hornell) will be track testing by the end of next week.
Good to hear. I hope some pictures surface from the testing.