Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#506084  by nick11a

Relax, I took care of it. (Incidentally, you do have a certain window to delete your own posts.)

#506101  by Hebrewman9

nick11a wrote:Relax, I took care of it. (Incidentally, you do have a certain window to delete your own posts.)
I thought you couldn't delete posts that have been replied to

#506165  by nick11a

Hebrewman9 wrote:
nick11a wrote:Relax, I took care of it. (Incidentally, you do have a certain window to delete your own posts.)
Yup, that's the certain window... anyway... we're off topic....

Anybody hear any passenger reactions at the sight of these units on their lines?

#506173  by Hebrewman9

nick11a wrote:
Hebrewman9 wrote:
Yup, that's the certain window... anyway... we're off topic....

Anybody hear any passenger reactions at the sight of these units on their lines?
I don't think many people really notice. It's tough for us railfans to imagine that, but as engines go, most people don't pay attention. Now, passenger cars may illicit a different response.

I think of it as those "can you spot the differences" activities with two similar looking pictures. Us railfans see them more easily than regular passengers.

#506182  by transit383

Are the horns on the PL42 louder than those on the other NJT diesels? From what I've heard on the 4029, it seems much louder.

#506185  by nick11a

transit383 wrote:Are the horns on the PL42 louder than those on the other NJT diesels? From what I've heard on the 4029, it seems much louder.
Louder... don't think so. It sounds a little muffled to me.... the tone is not as clear as some of the diesels or as clear as Amtrak's AEM7s etc.

They're continuing their efforts to try to keep the Montclairians and others happy it seems.

#506578  by geoffand

nick11a wrote:They're continuing their efforts to try to keep the Montclairians and others happy it seems.
Montclair thanks NJT... :wink:

The PL-42 engines also happen to be quieter than the older diesel engines. So, along with the Montclair horn, these things are a little more neighboorhood friendly--like a Mr. Rogers engine.

#506832  by NorEasterNick

PL42's should be good for those NIMBY's.

#508142  by transit383

4016 was on the RVL today, paired with the same set that 4029 had last week (5 C2Ms and 6001).

#508243  by Jtgshu

Well that looks like the "Hudson Protect" Geep/ALP set, maybe coupled up to two engines from Raritan, and in the 2nd photo, you can see the handrail of a stone hopper. Quite an interseting catch - too bad the photographer didn't catch the rest of the train.

Also note, that is the freshly painted 4412 there as well.
 #508244  by faxman

that was the whole train. i snug up on me while i watching a ns job to come east. there was only the four engines plus the hopper. maybe they had bad brakes on some of thoose engines

#508259  by nick11a

Is it picking up a stone train?
 #508290  by purr-fect transportation

Hey, I love that line-"Friends don't let friends run PL-42's". Looks like we feel the same on that issue. I'm not at Transit that long, running an F40 is as close to an E or F unit (true covered wagon) as I'll ever come. Its my favorite present day passenger diesel. I lost my PL cherry on Friday, the 22nd. I like how fast they accelorate, and the seats are great. The bathroom is horrible; with quick turns and a long walk to a public facility (like at NWK PS) I really depend on them now. The corridor immediately outside the bathroom is wide enough to walk a traction motor through; why not extend the bathroom 2 feet wider. The sandbox is way too small. I ran east with a 5 on the headend in the rain and got that horrible wheelslip screech at every station. The referigerator is way too small, but it is nice that things can be kept warm in it. There are no handrails OUTSIDE the rear center door. I got a cab flip at TUNK that turned into a penalty 'cause we can't power brake. And theres no replacing being able to relate to the ground in terms of sight while spotting a train. Hey, but what do we know: we're just the people who run them everday- the true engineers (P.E.) know best.
 #508310  by nick11a

purr-fect transportation wrote:Hey, I love that line-"Friends don't let friends run PL-42's". Looks like we feel the same on that issue. I'm not at Transit that long, running an F40 is as close to an E or F unit (true covered wagon) as I'll ever come. Its my favorite present day passenger diesel. I lost my PL cherry on Friday, the 22nd. I like how fast they accelorate, and the seats are great. The bathroom is horrible; with quick turns and a long walk to a public facility (like at NWK PS) I really depend on them now. The corridor immediately outside the bathroom is wide enough to walk a traction motor through; why not extend the bathroom 2 feet wider. The sandbox is way too small. I ran east with a 5 on the headend in the rain and got that horrible wheelslip screech at every station. The referigerator is way too small, but it is nice that things can be kept warm in it. There are no handrails OUTSIDE the rear center door. I got a cab flip at TUNK that turned into a penalty 'cause we can't power brake. And theres no replacing being able to relate to the ground in terms of sight while spotting a train. Hey, but what do we know: we're just the people who run them everday- the true engineers (P.E.) know best.
Yup.... At least Purrfect that engineers on the Hoboken side get more variety now (theoretically) with the PL42ACs more spread out.

A lot of us also forget about the ergo commitee. They helped make these engines what they are. I would imagine the PL42ACs may have been a lot worse if it wasn't for their input and suggestions. Even though some of their thoughts and ideas were either "not do-able" or "impractical" in the eyes of Alstom, they did help make a better engine.

"How is your day today? Is it one of those PL42AC days where nothing seems to go right?