• Oregon buys 2 Talgo trainsets

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by David Benton

I'm wondering how the pricing from Talgo , is affected by Spain's current economic meltdown . I don't know what influence the Spanish govt has on companies such as Talgo , but i would say any forex earnings would be encouraged , to say the least .
  by Vincent

There's photo evidence at another website that Amtrak is now able to operate the Talgos on the Cascades corridor without a NPCU or other protect unit on the trainset. Only a single leading locomotive is required, the trailing end is once again operating in "Batman mode". Seattle to Vancouver trains (510/517) have been running with just the power locomotive, I don't expect the trains to OR will operate with just the locomotive unless it's possible to wye the trains quickly in Portland and Eugene.
  by westr

Vincent wrote:There's photo evidence at another website that Amtrak is now able to operate the Talgos on the Cascades corridor without a NPCU or other protect unit on the trainset. Only a single leading locomotive is required, the trailing end is once again operating in "Batman mode". Seattle to Vancouver trains (510/517) have been running with just the power locomotive, I don't expect the trains to OR will operate with just the locomotive unless it's possible to wye the trains quickly in Portland and Eugene.
Amtrak has always been able to run without an NPCU like that. When they first started, all the Cascades ran like that because they didn't have any NPCU's yet. This was opening day, January 11, 1999, at Kelso, Washington, southbound towards Portland. They all ran like that for a few months before the NPCUs appeared. The Talgo demonstrator that preceded the Cascades also ran with just a locomotive on the front. They only need the NPCU's protection when they are running in push mode, and in the case of the Cascades they'd need it anyway because there are no control cabs at either end of the Cascades trainsets. (I have the idea in my head from back then that originally the Cascades were supposed to have F59s at both ends, but then Amtrak came up with the idea of converting F40s to NPCUs, so they went that way instead, but I don't know where i read/heard that.)
  by Vincent

That's a great picture of the Talgo's rear-end, which would explain what I meant by "Batman mode".
  by jstolberg

Matt Johnson wrote:Check out this pic on Talgo's website. I wonder if they're really going to paint some P42's in this scheme!

http://www.talgoamerica.com/images/seri ... ainset.jpg
That looks like Wisconsin Badger colors. I'd say it's only a possibility if the state of Wisconsin buys some P42s.
  by Matt Johnson

How many P40's are left in Bear, DE? They could possibly be rebuilt for that service.
  by DutchRailnut

answer here:
http://members.trainorders.com/geoff_s/ ... index.html

Table key: Running Number..Paint Scheme...Operating Pool..Maintenance Base

800 IV SS WIL Bear DE
801 IV SS WIL Bear DE
802 IV SS WIL Bear DE
803 IV SS WIL Bear DE
804 IV SS WIL Bear DE
805 IV SS WIL Bear DE
806 IV SS WIL Bear DE
807 IV ZZ Scrapped Beech Grove (Wreck Boubonnais IL 16MAR1999)
808 NJ ZZ # Sold to NJTransit NJT4801
809 IV QQ BEE % Ivy City to Beech Grove (August 2009)
810 NJ ZZ # Sold to NJTransit NJT4802
811 IV SS WIL Bear DE
812 NJ ZZ # Sold to NJTransit NJT4800
813 IV SS WIL Bear DE
814 IV QQ % Ivy City (January 2010)
815 IV QQ BEE % Beech Grove (September 2009)
816 IV QQ BEE % Beech Grove (August 2009)
817 IV QQ BEE % Beech Grove (August 2009)
818 IV QQ BEE % Beech Grove (September 2009)
819 III ZZ Scrapped (Wreck Big Bayou Canot 22SEP1993)
820 NJ ZZ # Sold to NJTransit NJT4803
821 Vb QQ BEE % On test (February 2010)
822 IV QQ % Ivy City (January 2010)
823 IV QQ BEE % Beech Grove (August 2009)
824 IV QQ BEE % Beech Grove (January 2010)
825 IV SS WIL Bear DE
826 IV SS WIL Bear DE
827 IV SS WIL Bear DE (ACSES fitted)
828 IV SS WIL Bear DE (ACSES fitted)
829 IV ZZ Scrapped Beech Grove (Wreck Boubonnais IL 16MAR1999)
830 IV QQ BEE % Beech Grove (January 2010)
831 IV QQ BEE % Beech Grove (August 2009)
832 Vb QQ ### Chicago (March 2010)
833 (Vb) ZZ Sold to Conn DOT
834 (Vb) ZZ Sold to Conn DOT
835 Vb QQ BEE % Beech Grove (January 2010)
836 Vb ZZ Sold to Conn DOT
837 IV QQ BEE % Beech Grove (May 2009)
838 (Vb) ZZ Sold to Conn DOT
839 Vb SS WIL Bear DE
840 (Vb) ZZ Sold to Conn DOT
841 (Vb) ZZ Sold to Conn DOT
842 Vb ZZ Sold to Conn DOT
843 Vb ZZ Sold to Conn DOT

# "Bolted-nose" modification
### "Bolted-nose" modification and modified headlight mounting
% due for overhaul and return to service, 2009-2011
  by Matt Johnson

Thanks, so that's 14 P40 locomotives left in storage. Definitely an option for any future state supported corridor services... (I'm assuming the mods will allow me to speculate on potential future use for stored P40's)
  by goodnightjohnwayne

Matt Johnson wrote:Thanks, so that's 14 P40 locomotives left in storage. Definitely an option for any future state supported corridor services... (I'm assuming the mods will allow me to speculate on potential future use for stored P40's)
Not necessarily, since one would assume that best P40 have already been picked for renovation and further service. For state supported start-ups, it might be far cheaper to rehab used EMD locomotive that are available for sale or lease, or buy third party manufacturer EMD powered locomotives.

Actually, the last 14 P40s might have more value for spare parts for Amtrak's own fleet, assuming that haven't already been heavily cannibalized.

I'm not counting GE out of the passenger locomotive business, although it has been pretty quite on that front for the last 5 years. Still, used, rebuilt, leased or third party built EMD locomotives seem to be the most likely options.
  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:I'm wondering how the pricing from Talgo , is affected by Spain's current economic meltdown . I don't know what influence the Spanish govt has on companies such as Talgo , but i would say any forex earnings would be encouraged , to say the least .
The euro is high against the dollar, so there isn't any currency advantage. Perhaps Spanish companies are hungrier because of the economic situation, which is mainly a collapse of the real estate industry. There was a property bubble which collapsed. Prices of houses has fallen. Building of new ones has stopped and many people in that industry are out of work.
  by electricron

Matt Johnson wrote:Thanks, so that's 14 P40 locomotives left in storage. Definitely an option for any future state supported corridor services... (I'm assuming the mods will allow me to speculate on potential future use for stored P40's)
I'll agree if you're discussing 103 mph trains and not 110 mph trains. The P40s are geared for 103 mph max, the P42s are geared for 110 mph max. I admit not all State subsidized trains need to go 110 mph.
  by DutchRailnut

The P40's have been rated at 110 mph for 14 years, same gearing as P42.
but without PTC you only get to go 79 mph.
  by electricron

DutchRailnut wrote:The P40's have been rated at 110 mph for 14 years, same gearing as P42.
but without PTC you only get to go 79 mph.
Nothing personal, but Wikipedia states just the opposite.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GE_Genesis
Top speed:
103 mph (166 km/h) (P40DC),
110 mph (177 km/h) (P42DC, P32AC-DM)
Also in that Wikipedia page:
The P40DC is geared for a top speed of 103 miles per hour (166 km/h).
The P42 has a top speed of 110 mph (177 km/h), while VIA Rail Canada only permits these units to travel at a top speed of 100 mph (161 km/h).
All P40DC prime movers have since been upgraded to the power specification of the P42DC. This was done by readjusting the position of the lay shafts within the prime mover.

Note in the last, there was no mention of changing the gears....

Do you have a better source?
  by DutchRailnut

Sorry but my Amtrak employee timetable overrules the wikipedia.
after all anyone can input in wikipedia right or wrong.

Amtrak NEC employee TT page 281 rule 37-S5 engine Numbers 800-843 type P40BH lite 50 Mph - Multiple lite 50 Mph -with train 110 Mph