Railroad Forums 

• Oregon buys 2 Talgo trainsets

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#776835  by MudLake

electricron wrote:Diesel powered Talgo trainsets can achieve 125 mph, Superliners maximum speeds are 100 mph. That's a 25 mph difference in top speeds. In the Midwest, 110 mph is what they're planning for maximum speed. That's still a 10 mph difference. Talgo trainsets can also take curves at faster speeds too with their lower center of gravity and passive tilt wheel sets.......

For comparison purposes, look at Amtrak's timetables for the Cascades and Coast Starlight. Specifically, Portland to Seattle, where most of WDOT's track improvements have occurred.

Cascades Train 501 (southbound) 3 hours and 30 minutes (Talgo trainset)
Coast Starlight Train 11(southbound) 4 hours and 5 minutes (Superliner train)
Total time savings of 35 minutes over a distance of 187 miles, where both trains maximum speeds are 79 mph because of the condition of BNSF tracks, and where Train 501 stops at an additional station........

Of course, the distance between Chicago and Milwaukee is much lower at only 86 miles, slightly less than half the distance. So the time savings should be about half as much as the Cascades, around 15 minutes or so. But the distances between Chicago and St. Louis is 284 miles, therefore the time savings could be twice as much as the Cascades, over an hour....
And that's limiting the speeds of the Midwest trains to the same 79 mph the Cascades trains are limited. Imagine the time savings if maximum speeds were different between Talgo and Superliner trains...
I don't disagree with your point except you're comparing intercity to LD trains in your post. The Empire Builder takes 11 more minutes to get from Chicago to Milwaukee than Hiawatha trains, despite less stopping. It's not due to maximum speed of the train or tilting or anything else like that. So likewise, it's not fair to say the Talgo alone is what saves 35 minutes between Portland and Seattle.

Perhaps Mr. Vincent or Mr. Halstead can chime in with what is believed to be the "real world" time savings achieved by Cascade trains when using Talgo vs conventional Amtrak equipment.
 #776839  by AMTK1007

electricron wrote:Diesel powered Talgo trainsets can achieve 125 mph, Superliners maximum speeds are 100 mph. That's a 25 mph difference in top speeds. In the Midwest, 110 mph is what they're planning for maximum speed. That's still a 10 mph difference. Talgo trainsets can also take curves at faster speeds too with their lower center of gravity and passive tilt wheel sets.......

For comparison purposes, look at Amtrak's timetables for the Cascades and Coast Starlight. Specifically, Portland to Seattle, where most of WDOT's track improvements have occurred.

Cascades Train 501 (southbound) 3 hours and 30 minutes (Talgo trainset)
Coast Starlight Train 11(southbound) 4 hours and 5 minutes (Superliner train)
Total time savings of 35 minutes over a distance of 187 miles, where both trains maximum speeds are 79 mph because of the condition of BNSF tracks, and where Train 501 stops at an additional station........

Of course, the distance between Chicago and Milwaukee is much lower at only 86 miles, slightly less than half the distance. So the time savings should be about half as much as the Cascades, around 15 minutes or so. But the distances between Chicago and St. Louis is 284 miles, therefore the time savings could be twice as much as the Cascades, over an hour....
And that's limiting the speeds of the Midwest trains to the same 79 mph the Cascades trains are limited. Imagine the time savings if maximum speeds were different between Talgo and Superliner trains...
Mr. Electricron, The reason for the savings in the "Curvy" pacific northwest, Is the ability of the Talgos to take the curves at a higher speed then conventional ( Superliner, Amfleer, Horizon fleet) equipment. Unfortunately that advantage is washed out by the fact, as has been mentioned, that the line from Chicago to Milwaukee ( then on to La Crosse) is for the most part Tangent, and where there are curves their are few that are speed restricted, and even with a Talgo, you are NOT going to take canal Street any faster. Talgos do not operate at a high speed in tangent territory. The Talgos might benefit a corridor train running to the twin cities, but only by a magnitude of 5-6 minutes tops. Not a significant amount in the scheme of a 8 hour trip. Money spent on the Talgos could be better used investing in capacity imporvements, IN MY OPINION. And infact the word is a few of thse improvements will be made, but there are plenty more to choose from.

In addition the St Louis service is stymied by slow running in the two terminal areas, somthing that the Talgo would not necessaraly be able to make up for. Again in this instance, the issues are related to capacity and infrastructure, not curve speeds where the Talgo is superior in performance and where Talgo makes up the time. the St Lous line also is significantly tangent, and Mr Larson can help me here, i don't belive out side of the terminals there are many curves that are severly speed restricted. Work that the stimulus money will provide for, upgrading sidings, things of that nature so that you can have rolling meets and the like will do more then the Talgo can, especially in the St Louis to Alton terminal segment.

One other "negative aspect", again in my opinion, of the Talgo is the legnth of the train.. In the midwest most platforms are less then 500', though there are several that are 500'. the Talgo consist is longet then most of the platforms, and if you are going to use an automatic door feature, then you most likely have to legnthen platforms, where as with a california car platform, you would likely be able to shorten the train legnth due to the increased capacity of the bi levels that has dual vestibules in each car.

As for Mr. Larson's comments, this equipment purchase ( and nto to take awaw form the Oregon purchase, where talgo DOES make sense) by the State of Wisconsin is 100% politics. Again, the State of Wisconsin just wants it own "ball to play with" No thought given by the Govenor to the BIG picture... I had not heard that the State was going to buy locos, but that leaves me to believe that there are MP36 or MP40's in our future.

Finally, with all of this being said, I want to make clear that the Talgo is a fine piece of equipment, and that I have no issues with it, WHEN it is used where it makes sense the Pacific Northwest is one area, the NYP-BOS segment of the corridor would probably be another if it were not for highlevel platforms.. I just do not thing that it makes sense here in the midwest, from my personal operating experience. this is just like the individual that has to go out and byu a shiny new fully loaded car every year just because they want to have the newest car on the block.. Sorry, that is my opinion and I am sticking to it!
 #776919  by wigwagfan

AMTK1007 wrote:Mr. Electricron, The reason for the savings in the "Curvy" pacific northwest, Is the ability of the Talgos to take the curves at a higher speed then conventional ( Superliner, Amfleer, Horizon fleet) equipment. Unfortunately that advantage is washed out by the fact, as has been mentioned, that the line from Chicago to Milwaukee ( then on to La Crosse) is for the most part Tangent, and where there are curves their are few that are speed restricted, and even with a Talgo, you are NOT going to take canal Street any faster. Talgos do not operate at a high speed in tangent territory. The Talgos might benefit a corridor train running to the twin cities, but only by a magnitude of 5-6 minutes tops. Not a significant amount in the scheme of a 8 hour trip.
I actually posted some commentary that directly relates to this point over in the discussion regarding the Pioneer route study, and after doing a little railfanning yesterday in the aptly named town of Tangent, Oregon.

On UP rails south of Portland, the Talgo is not permitted any higher speed than conventional passenger stock (The Coast Starlight). The time savings comes from faster station stops and less schedule padding.

Further, much of the UP line south of Portland is pretty straight. You aren't going to see much improvement Portland-Canby because you're in an urbanized area with close development, so there is little if any high speed track there anyways. Oregon City-Canby is by far the "curviest" stretch because you're running along the Willamette River near Willamette Falls. Hito Hill comes up after Canby but is more a gradient problem than a curvature problem. South of Hito, you have an 11.5 mile tangent through Hubbard, Woodburn and Gervais, then an ever-so-slight curve to the south, another 4.6 miles, another slight curve, 3.25 miles, a barely-noticable curve (in North Salem) and then you're well within Salem - and restricted speeds (because people in Salem like to jump out in front of trains for some unknown reason). From Turner to Marion you have more almost perfect tangent. A few curves from Marion to Albany spaced out over several miles. And then 20 - yes, twenty - miles of great tangent track (and thus the reason for the name of Tangent, Oregon, located on this stretch of track) before you make the curve into Harrisburg.

Frankly, the Talgos would make more sense in a state-supported Portland-Boise train (with an extension north to Seattle as a super-early-morning Seattle-Portland or a very late night Portland-Seattle train) where the Talgos would really shine through the Columbia Gorge and over the Blue Mountains, where there are curves. Portland-Eugene, I maintain, would be better provided by an hourly bus service, and when the time comes for rail - something more along the lines of the California Cars, which can also be used in commuter service from Salem to Portland.

What the ODOT press release doesn't tell you is that:

1. The trains are not built in Oregon. This was a prime excuse TriMet gave in not buying more vehicles - they weren't made in Oregon, so why spend the "stimulus" money in other states? (Ironically, many of the contractors TriMet has hired are out of state companies, using vehicles with out-of-state plates...) The train will be built by a Spanish company some 2,000 miles out of the state of Oregon.

2. The trains will be maintained by Washington residents in the State of Washington by a company based in Seattle (and is headquartered in Spain) (in Seattle, some 160 miles north of the Columbia River). Oops.

3. "Sustain 73 jobs". In other words, no new jobs will be created in Oregon, but 73 existing jobs (basically ticket agents and the on-board crew that is specific to Oregon) won't be laid off. Using the $36 million to buy new motorcoaches to blanket much of Oregon with regional bus service would be able to provide 72 buses; plus the construction of bus stations, a garage to maintain the buses at...plus Oregon's existing Amtrak Thruway bus network receives no state subsidy, provides jobs and transit where there are no other options, and pays taxes; Amtrak requires $5 million a year from a very strapped state budget (and only received funding through a maneuver to allocate income from the sales of personalized license plates to Amtrak, where they formerly funded roadside litter pickup programs, which has largely been cut - and you can tell!) A bus network would have doubled the jobs needed, while reducing the impact on the state budget, and provided increased frequency of service and increased service to communities with no or little intercity transit service. Portland-Eugene would get hourly bus service (instead of two schedules, which many folks find very inconvenient), connecting with trains in Portland to continue north to Seattle - and would be faster (while I-5 and the UP are identical in distance south of Salem, the bus makes a 43 mile run from the I-5/UP overpass in north Salem at a near-constant 55 MPH while the rail route takes 48.3 miles, much of it at reduced (40 MPH or lower) speeds, including crawling through Portland as the train makes its way from OMSI, through the East Portland interlocking and over the Steel Bridge.)

The few jobs that would be directly impacted would be easily replaced. Engineers/Conductors could elect to drive a bus, or find work in the railroad industry elsewhere (they could still work out of Portland, and thus pay Oregon income tax, while working on the runs to Seattle). The onboard service folks would probably be the most impacted. The ticket agents would still be needed for the bus service. We would need mechanics, marketing and management staff, something that Amtrak does not have in Oregon.
 #776922  by Vincent

The Cascades Talgos also have the advantage of being much lighter than the Coast Starlight. Even with one loco pulling or pushing a Talgo trainset, versus the 2 locos heading the Starlight, the Talgo can accelerate much quicker to maximum authorized speed and stay at that speed longer before decelerating for curves or station stops. WSDOT's plan is to add a couple of cars to each trainset and replace the NPCU's with an additional locomotive, giving the Cascades even more power.
 #776942  by Vincent

from wigwagfan's comments:
1. The trains are not built in Oregon. This was a prime excuse TriMet gave in not buying more vehicles - they weren't made in Oregon, so why spend the "stimulus" money in other states? (Ironically, many of the contractors TriMet has hired are out of state companies, using vehicles with out-of-state plates...) The train will be built by a Spanish company some 2,000 miles out of the state of Oregon.
I think the fact that OR now owns 2 trainsets will alllow OR a place at the table when setting the schedules for the expanded pool. An early morning departure from PDX arriving in Seattle before 1030am would look good. Also, a morning departure southbound from Portland to Eugene and an evening train north from Eugene would open up the possibility of day trips to Eugene or Salem for Portland's riders. I would guess that 509's run from Portland to Eugene could be switched to another train that would generate more riders from Portland.

from wigwagfan:
Amtrak requires $5 million a year from a very strapped state budget (and only received funding through a maneuver to allocate income from the sales of personalized license plates to Amtrak, where they formerly funded roadside litter pickup programs, which has largely been cut - and you can tell!)
This is somewhat off-topic, but if you want to talk about litter, check out the hillside on the east side of the train tracks near Vancouver WA. (Sorry I can't get any more specific than that). It looks like there's a shopping mall at the top of the hill and people just push their carts over the edge and watch them tumble down the hill. There must be at least 50 grocery carts resting in the underbrush. Once the trees get their leaves back the mess won't be as noticable to train riders, but it's very visible in the winter months. BTW, in WA most roadside litter picked up by individuals performing "community service" for minor criminal offenses, maybe OR should look into that.
 #776955  by bmichel5581

In addition the St Louis service is stymied by slow running in the two terminal areas, somthing that the Talgo would not necessaraly be able to make up for. Again in this instance, the issues are related to capacity and infrastructure, not curve speeds where the Talgo is superior in performance and where Talgo makes up the time. the St Lous line also is significantly tangent, and Mr Larson can help me here, i don't belive out side of the terminals there are many curves that are severly speed restricted. Work that the stimulus money will provide for, upgrading sidings, things of that nature so that you can have rolling meets and the like will do more then the Talgo can, especially in the St Louis to Alton terminal segment.
Talgo's are significantly lighter and accelerate much faster than a diesel/Surfliner trainset....which will come in handy when you have to slow down and then speed up for all those 60mph road crossings on the CN Joliet Sub.
 #776960  by Suburban Station

AMTK1007 wrote:I believe, but cannot confirm that Missouri, Illinios and Michigan are also considering cars based on the Califronia car model....

In my opinion, that car makes more sense in the midwest..

Wisconsin Missed the boat by ordering talgos, because nothing significant will be gained by using them, EVEN if they are used going to Minneapolis/St Paul. the time gained would only ammount to 5-6 minutes, from what I have been told.
Amtrak is trying to sell them on the superliner AFAIK but Amtrak is also misguided. AFAIK, the superliners are much heavier meaning they require more power and time to get up to speed and, perhaps more importantly, more fuel. on a line like the hiawatha, that extra fuel could end up being enormous. something like an updated version of the Amfleet would probably be perfect for the line IMO but so long as talgo's cables and hoses are housed inside the trainset, they will be a decent fit for them...and Talgo performs the maintenance, not Amtrak.
 #776962  by Gilbert B Norman

Your good point is noted, Mr. Suburban Station.

These orders for equipment, the four Talgos (2ea; OR & WI) and anything else that is likely to develop (possibly "on the verge" - could there even be an announcement representing a firm order at the upcoming "Foamer Forum"?), are the first in which 'gas mileage" has represented any kind of of concern.
 #776968  by MudLake

Anyone happen to have ready access to info indicating the weight per seat of a Talgo trainset and California car (assuming similar seat pitch)?
 #776969  by JimBoylan

DutchRailnut wrote:untill we get full blown PTC everywhere, the speed on all passenger trains is 79 mph.
What, no more cab signals or automatic train stop?
 #776974  by FFolz

wigwagfan wrote:Using the $36 million to buy new motorcoaches to blanket much of Oregon with regional bus service would be able to provide 72 buses; plus the construction of bus stations, a garage to maintain the buses at...plus Oregon's existing Amtrak Thruway bus network receives no state subsidy, provides jobs and transit where there are no other options, and pays taxes; Amtrak requires $5 million a year from a very strapped state budget (and only received funding through a maneuver to allocate income from the sales of personalized license plates to Amtrak, where they formerly funded roadside litter pickup programs, which has largely been cut - and you can tell!)
Without the Cascades train, I never would have come to visit Oregon last summer. I don't know how important tourists dollars are to your state, but I'm going to guess that at least the state government thinks it's more than chump change. We've been hearing about those Talgo trainsets for a while and I wanted to experience the train for myself. I spent several days in Portland, OR, ate local food, picked up a taste for your very bitter beer--even changed my habits and continue to buy beer imported from OR. I've also gone around telling others how awesome the food/drink/trip was. Without the train? Hell, forget it. Not even on my radar. (Still haven't been to New Orleans, despite being a trolley jolly, because Amtrak canceled the train and I'm not making that frigging drive--not unless somebody is paying me about $300-500 each way. Sorry.)

I was also kind of evaluating Oregon as a place to live, and while I decided against it, I know others who've visited who have become flaming converts. Tourism really does affect real estate prices.

Finally, I may be misunderstanding you, but you seem to want to have it both ways with your theoretical bus purchase. Yes, it will employ all those people... until the money runs out. Existing bus service may pay for itself, but service extensions into more rural areas rarely do--and if they do pay off, it takes about four years, long after this grant money is gone. The buses will make it about 10-15, and in those last five years they will be shabby. The trainset hauls more people with less employees and it lasts longer. Sure it would be great if the trainsets were built in Oregon, but the economic development they will provide should last a lot longer than a 2-3 yr build contract.
 #776975  by FFolz

Vincent wrote:BTW, in WA most roadside litter picked up by individuals performing "community service" for minor criminal offenses, maybe OR should look into that.
In FL I wish it were the jailbirds--they're usually well-behaved. FDOT likes to take out hard-case prisoners on road-clearing gangs. (You know the kind who've been in a while and when they see a female get the look of a man looking at the last chicken drumstick in the world.) Sometimes they run away.
 #776978  by FFolz

I appreciate the contrarian view on here, but it sounds to me like the Midwest officials had all the facts and picked the equipment that best met their needs and long-term goals.
 #776990  by EricL

The line is very straight, for the most part, between South Joliet and South Godfrey. There are about a dozen speed-restricted curves on the entire St. Louis Line, and none of them are particularly drastic. The lowest is 40mph around Bloomington Yard, and the rest are 55-70. The slowest speed trackage on this route is because of bad track, excepting the couple odd "thru-town" restrictions like at Normal and Springfield. Old sidings, UD, Ridgley, Wann, the entire TRRA, etc. etc.

MKE to Watertown... perhaps a tilting trainset could do better than the 30-35-40mph running out to Wauwatosa (not much to be done about the "downtown" slow order in said town) and the 55-60-65mph running Tosa to Brookfield. Brookfield to Watertown, though, there are exactly two speed restricted curves, one 65 and one 75. So we're talking about picking up 5 minutes at _most_, all told. There are plenty of other, gentler curves here, but they are all currently good for 80 (which, in theory, means they are also good for 90... etc. etc.) Oh, and an upgrade of the Watertown interlocker for a higher speed than 30 would be nice.

As for discussions about the schedule times for certain LD trains versus the regional trains on the same routes - the actual running times are not very different, but the LDs tend to have bits of padding in the schedule. For example, a typical Empire Builder consist with 2 units and 11 cars actually accelerates a little BETTER than a Hiawatha with one unit, 6 cars, and the cab car. If you add on the MSP cut-off coach to the former, then they become about equal. On a really good day, you can get the Builder up or down the C&M in about 1'20" (scheduled 1'30"). The best you can do with the Hiawatha is about 1'23" (scheduled 1'29"). Admittedly, I would estimate that one P42 and six California Cars versus P42 + six coaches + NPCU would probably have similar acceleration characteristics. Those cab cars are like lead anchors!

What I'd like is some input from northwestern engineers on how well the current Talgo sets accelerate and brake. Obviously the trainset is a light weight design, but it is also quite a bit longer. I wonder if it's really much different. If they are really light enough that they can get up and go, and use less fuel, then great. (I have a feeling they don't accelerate very well when a B32-8 is substituted for the F59... ;-))