Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by REM3Night

Meadowbrook station was named for the Meadowbrook Country/golf club. It became Salisbury Park then Eisenhower Park.
Ray
  by LB

Wasn't the Meadowbrook and Salisbury Plains stations two different locations? The Salisbury Plains station depot building stood for years near the Merrick & Stewart Avenue intersection (NW corner) and lasted at least into the 1990's.
  by Sir Ray

LB wrote:Wasn't the Meadowbrook and Salisbury Plains stations two different locations? The Salisbury Plains station depot building stood for years near the Merrick & Stewart Avenue intersection (NW corner) and lasted at least into the 1990's.
Remember the S. Berliner website? It's still on-line, and has images of what purports to be the Salisbury Plains station
- on this page, about 3/5ths of the way down, search for "Meadowbrook/Salisbury Plains". It would have been near the intersection of Stewart & Merrick Ave (Eisenhower Park entrance), south of what was the 1-800 Flowers Building (they moved to Old Country Road) - what I thought was the former Hone-Lifetime building (they moved to0, to Stewart Ave.). For some reason, although I know they tore down that old research center with the large spherical storage tank (visible from the Meadowbrook Parkway), I don't remember exactly when they build that small office building in it's place - anyway, I believe that's where the station was located.
Helpful aid in Google Maps, follow the ROW from Edo blvd, east, hopefully lining up with the half-buried bridge by the Meadowbrook Pkwy exit ramp, then image a gently curving line to the road in Eisenhower Park directly south of the Driving Range/Police equistrian center - I believe that service road is on the former ROW.
  by nyandw

LB wrote:Wasn't the Meadowbrook and Salisbury Plains stations two different locations? The Salisbury Plains station depot building stood for years near the Merrick & Stewart Avenue intersection (NW corner) and lasted at least into the 1990's.
Employee Timetable (ETT) No.2, June 21, 1942 showing track still ran 7.5 miles to Plain Edge and Pass Service to Salisbury (Plains) Archive: Art Huneke and further info:

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/levitt ... ittown.htm Levittown - Central Branch Extension
  by LB

Interesting that Newsday wasn't listed as a stop. Was that freight only? Also, was Country Life Press the passenger stop for Newsday employees or was that Doubleday? That whole Salisbury/Eisenhower Park complex was the Salisbury Country Club; which during the depression was unable to keep up with the taxes. It was taken over by Nassau County and turned into Salisbury Park in 1944 (later Eisenhower Park in OCT 69, a few months after his death).
  by Sir Ray

LB wrote:Interesting that Newsday wasn't listed as a stop. Was that freight only? Also, was Country Life Press the passenger stop for Newsday employees or was that Doubleday? That whole Salisbury/Eisenhower Park complex was the Salisbury Country Club; which during the depression was unable to keep up with the taxes. It was taken over by Nassau County and turned into Salisbury Park in 1944 (later Eisenhower Park in OCT 69, a few months after his death).
Newdays would have been a reasonable walk from Clinton Rd stastion.
Country Life Press (on the Hempstead Branch) was built for Doubleday Publishing
  by LB

In Arrt's Arrchive's, it shows a passenger shelter at the Newsday location on the Central Extension. Perhaps the Newsday stop came after the 1942 timetable listings.

http://www.arrts-arrchives.com/cext6.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (3rd and 4th photos form top)
  by jack butler505

On a slightly related note, can anyone tell me where the LIRR Garden City freight yard is, or where it used to be? Somewhere near Stewart Ave by the MEadowbrook spur perhaps?
  by Sir Ray

jack butler505 wrote:On a slightly related note, can anyone tell me where the LIRR Garden City freight yard is, or where it used to be? Somewhere near Stewart Ave by the MEadowbrook spur perhaps?
Correct, SW corner of the intersection of Stewart Ave & Quentin Roosevelt (basically South St.) - now the LIRR Maintainance storage yard.

The "Meadowbrook" branch used to head north out of the yard across Stewart toward Zeckendorf, west side of South St. (by NRAD Medical center) - must be some old rail still visible in that verge, as that's what started this thread in the first place.

Think in the early 1990s the yard had a sign "Garden City Intermodal Yard" or some such when they had the unloader there for the intermodal bogies.

I remember a 2 bay airslide hopper there in 1989? 1990? for many months, I remember correcting someone who waxed poetic about it being a lonely caboose[!!!], and so broke the unwritten rule, "never let them know you're a railfan..." - luckily I survived.
  by Crabman1130

Sir Ray wrote:
jack butler505 wrote:On a slightly related note, can anyone tell me where the LIRR Garden City freight yard is, or where it used to be? Somewhere near Stewart Ave by the MEadowbrook spur perhaps?
Correct, SW corner of the intersection of Stewart Ave & Quentin Roosevelt (basically South St.) - now the LIRR Maintainance storage yard.

The "Meadowbrook" branch used to head north out of the yard across Stewart toward Zeckendorf, west side of South St. (by NRAD Medical center) - must be some old rail still visible in that verge, as that's what started this thread in the first place.

by SwingMan

Over the summer they graded (and removed) all the rails, ties, etc on the property just north of South St, right after you cross it. So all that's left is the small portion between Stewart and South Street, and north of Zeckendorf.

Pretty sad, still remember when all the crossings were in, and the yard. I always thought it was pretty cool. Very little industry left...
  by Crabman1130

SwingMan wrote:
Pretty sad, Very little industry left...
Kind of sums up LI.
  by Head-end View

To correct my previous post, the passenger shed that we talked about near the corner of Stewart and Merrick Aves. was in fact the Salisbury Plains stop. I had confused it with Meadowbrook because the Meadow Brook, which is the route of the Meadowbrook Pkwy. was right there also. Apparently the Meadowbrook stop was six-tenths of a mile west of Salisbury Plains as per the chart posted above.
  by jack butler505

Sounds about right