• Official Thread of the Guest Series

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by CS

The Guest Series Thread featuring the Seashore Trolley Museam (represented by our very own MB41) is open for questions regarding the Seashore Trolley Museam.
Last edited by CS on Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by mb41

Ok, I may not have much time today to deal with this. Major accident at my work today I'm dealing with, sorry.

I am not sure what your looking for me to post first.

We have a lot of MBTA equipment, 3340 is no longer by the entrance. The R-22 will be moved out front soon.

6069 was in the Biddeford parade two weeks ago.

Ask questions if you like.

by scoopernicus_in_Maine

3340 is no longer by the entrance. The R-22 will be moved out front soon.
I drive past SSTM every day, had wondered about the change.

Is the museum still hoping to expand their trackage along the Atlantic Shorline ROW, and if so, how much are they hoping to add?

Also, when driving south on Route 1 in Biddeford/Arundel, just before I go over the railroad bridge, I've noticed what look like telephone poles along the side of the road, but they have metal arms off the top. Were those polse to support wires for the Atlantic Shorline trolley?

by mb41

The BERY crane and locomotive 300 looked great out there for the 4th of July weekend.

We have decided that at over 1 million a mile it was not worth putting money towards the expansion. Our track crew is no longer the size it once was 10 years ago, we have a hard time keeping up with the existing track.

Our current expansion of operations is now building loops for the trolley bus system.

Bennett Yard is now getting built, that is pretty much the track expansion now. I have been working in the track dept. for four years now. In 2002 two of us replaced 200 ties on the current main line and this year has been replacing original ties from Arlington Heights from the Visitor Center loop.

by mb41

I did not see your last sentance, sorry.

In the late 1950's and early 1960's Seashore had a second small operations called, North Terminal. That land still belongs to the museum. What you see is the STM poles with brackets.

by scoopernicus_in_Maine

What you see is the STM poles with brackets.
As you can see, I'm not up on terminology, I'm glad you understood what I was trying to say. I'm new to railfanning and I'm just learning the lingo. I did get a chance to be a motorman last year, and driving a trolley was a fascinating experience. Very simple machines, few moving parts, easy to run. Very efficient. No wonder they've lasted so long.
Our track crew is no longer the size it once was 10 years ago
What does it take to be a member of the track crew? I know the museum is entirely staffed by volunteers, do they train people, or do they look for people already with the neccessary skills?

by mb41

I'm glad your a memebr, we sure could use operators and track people. You just help out and learn from volunteering, just like myself.

If your interested in track, we have an e-mail/phone tag on what weekend day track work will take place and you show up if you want.

by scoopernicus_in_Maine

I'm glad your a member,
Actually I won the certficate in the grea TV auction
If your interested in track, we have an e-mail/phone tag on what weekend day track work will take place and you show up if you want.
I'd love to be a volunteer if my time (and significant other) permits.

I've been following the thread on the expansion of the Lowell trolley to connect it to the 'T' commuter stop. I hope that it succeeds, and serves as a blueprint for other small cities to connect their commuter stops to historic downtowns.

by mb41

Hope we can have you along sometime on the track gang. Hope you will become a member as well. Glad you enjoyed the Be a Motorman.

www.trolleymuseum.org (membership)

PM me for volunteering, thanks.

by CS

Just out of curiousity, what role do you serve at the Museam? Volunteer? Staff?

by mb41

I am a newley elected trustee this year.

I am also part of the track gang/crew.

I am the project manager/fundraiser for M & B car # 41

Lead fundraiser for the trolley bus extension.

I also can operate and give tours

I also work in the shop.

by CS

Cool!

by mb41

Some of our T equipment (pre-T)

5734 Type 5 (Boylston station)
5821 Type 5
3127 PCC
3340 PCC
3083 PCC
3019 PCC
3099 PCC
6069 Fishbowl Bus
6169 Fishbowl Bus
9170 Flyer Bus
9138 Flyer Bus

Two Boston Mack buses & two Boston White buses

396 Built 1900
475 built 1899
1059 built 1895
235 built 1895
724 built 1886
925 built 1895 (Boston parlor car)

We have a total of eight Dallas/Boston PCC cars

A total of 22 Boston PCC cars (includes double enders)

a pair of the 1924 blue line cars
a pair of the 1951 blue line cars
a pair of the 01400 red line cars
0719 cambridge/dorchester car
a pair of 01100's orange line cars
01000 series car
BERY cranes (2 total)

8490 Pullman TT
8361 Pullman TT
Coming soon TWO Flyer TT's.

by Robert Paniagua

I like the 01400s you've got there. Any word on them? I might go one of these summers (especially on a Friday) and check them out....

They give me fond memories of riding them back when I was in junior high..

by mb41

If you go on a Friday you will only be able to see the outside of them. Go on a weekend day and you might catch Bill Pollman (Curator of subway cars) He has the key to get inside of them.