• Official Thread of the Guest Series

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Robert Paniagua

Oh ok, that's not bad. Now do you have any idea if they are able to repower them?

And how's 0719 doing, the 01400s predecessor?

by mb41

The last time I saw 0719 run was 2000. It sits comfy in the yard, moves when something has to come out from the barn. 0719 might get moved once the new trackage is finished in the bennet yard area.

Bill Pollman could answer the powering of the 01400's. I figure since the orange 01100's are not powered either this could mean 0719 could pull the 01400's, thats if the couplers match. Same with the 01100's maybe 01000 could pull them. The two early types have overhead power.
Bill pulled the two new NY cars with the R-9's.

by octr202

mb, Are any of the Boston PCC cars operational, or are they furhter down the restoration list? Any other PCC's there that run?

by mb41

Ok, 3127 is the closet thing to a running Boston PCC, she needs a friend. I have like six projects going on there now :) What 3127 needs is a friend to either give her cash or raise the cash. It has what we call "Rotted Ass" The batteries sit in the rear under the rear seat, the acid has eaten the rear end. The fund has over $3,000.00 but needs more to fix that issue. This is causing 3127 to sit in Riverside car house and not move. She does run, but bad rear end.

2709 is the Philly PCC, she has run up till last year. It has a very minor issue right now, not sure what.

PCC cars do not like Maine weather, thank goodness they never ran in revenue service for any system up here.

by octr202

mb41 wrote:Ok, 3127 is the closet thing to a running Boston PCC, she needs a friend. I have like six projects going on there now :) What 3127 needs is a friend to either give her cash or raise the cash. It has what we call "Rotted Ass" The batteries sit in the rear under the rear seat, the acid has eaten the rear end. The fund has over $3,000.00 but needs more to fix that issue. This is causing 3127 to sit in Riverside car house and not move. She does run, but bad rear end.

2709 is the Philly PCC, she has run up till last year. It has a very minor issue right now, not sure what.

PCC cars do not like Maine weather, thank goodness they never ran in revenue service for any system up here.
Ahh...know all about rotted steel under batteries. Once ran into a similiar problem on a GP7!

Hopefully the 2709 will be back up sometime soon. I think the last time I was up it was moving around, but not running in service. Nice to see cars from my old hometown...I used to get to ride those as a kid with my father before they were all bustituted down in Philly. Its amazing though, how far they've gone...I've seen SEPTA PCC's in museums from Maine to Missouri (not to mention all the ones that went to San Fran.).

One last question on 2709...were the trucks regauged when it came to Seashore, or was it just put on new trucks from another standard gauge PCC?

Thanks!

by mb41

That is a good question, let me ask Bob Hughes. The trucks are painted blue wich make me think they are Philly trucks. I'll get back to you.

by mb41

In 2.5 hours I will be away from the computer till Sunday. Thank you for your questions, wish there were more. Hopefully all of you will visit us and become members. :)

by mb41

Ok, the answer to 2709's trucks...

The trucks are from the car with Boston axel sets.

by octr202

Thanks!

by CS

Thank you all for a great another Guest Series! To continue this converstation, follow to this thread!

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14992