• Official New England Southern Thread (NEGS)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by MinutemanMaroon

I was fortunate to tag along with NH railfan veterans Dane Malcolm and Brent Michiels earlier this month on a NEGS freight move. Their locomotive was suffering a blown radiator and so the power was Winnipesaukee Railroad #302. They brought two empty slurry cars to Concord and removed the MOW cars from the trestle, sandwiching the GP7 between the slurry and MOW cars. Upon reaching Concord they dropped the MOW cars off at a siding, left the empties to interchange, abs picked up two slurry loads. When they got to Canterbury they added the Pullman coach "Granite State", making it a mixed train for the trip to Tilton. From what I understand the Pullman is being sold to a party down south, although I'm insure why they brought it back up to Tilton rather than bringing it to Concord.
  by BowdoinStation

Looks like the NEGS crew did their move to Concord and up to Tilton on National Train Day on 5/10. I was celebrating National Train Day elsewhere so I missed out on seeing their like new SW1500 in action. The two open hoppers and flat car are gone from the north side of the Merrimack River Bridge which sat there all last winter. The Pullman Car that sat in Canterbury all winter is now in Tilton, where all the cabooses are. I hope they can grow their business north of Concord, certainly hard to hear a bad word about them from their former clients that are now in Pan Am land. Their reputation for customer service was impeccable.
  by MinutemanMaroon

NEGS didn't operate their SW1500 on the tenth, they borrowed their former GP7 from the Winnipesaukee Railroad. I'd love to see them gain some new clients as well
  by BowdoinStation

Now that would have been great to see.... Most of that track, especially Canterbury north to Lakeport Station has had such little use. It would have made for a great picture to see the Winnipesaukee Scenic 302 on the main line cruising between all the cabooses on the Tilton / Northfield line. My train day celebration took me elsewhere..
  by MinutemanMaroon

When the City of Concord relocates the line in Concord slightly to the east to make room for the Storrs Street extension, what will become of the old Northern where it splits? Would they put a new switch in or just rip it out and call it quits? With the reported future military trains due to the National Guard train's success, it sounds like the old Northern might still be useful.
  by NashuaActon&Boston

When PAR reclaimed Concord from NEGS, how many customers were absorbed by PAR which had previously been served by NEGS? - or- how many were still active online in the greater Concord area? I'd be interested to know the number of customers NEGS retains at this point. Last I witnessed of the yard in Canterbury, there seemed to be a decent amount of rolling stock for such a small RR..
  by MinutemanMaroon

The big ones that PAR took were Cement Quebec in Bow and Blue Seal at Bow Junction. There's also PSNH and the scrapyard further up towards the tower in Concord. Tanker cars are left on a siding north of the Water Street bridge, presumably unloaded by a company. Other than that, there weren't many other businesses that received NEGS service around Concord when Pan Am took over. There were a lot more in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s including Agway and a lumber company. As far as I know, (correct me if I'm wrong), NEGS now has only the one business in Tilton, occasional moves for the PLRR and the National Guard contract which may be renewed for future moves.
  by BowdoinStation

After cruising I 93 from Tilton to Concord, I have noticed quite a bit of new ballast on the NEGS in these areas.
  by MinutemanMaroon

Innovative Paper Technologies, a 3M company located on Manville Road in Tilton
  by toolmaker

Any updates on the New England Southern?
  by MinutemanMaroon

I have heard they will be running next Saturday the 19th to clear the line for the season
  by BowdoinStation

All quiet in NEGSville. The open hopper still guards the north end of the Merrimack River Bridge..
  by northernline

Did NEGS have a move yesterday? Maybe picking up the cars sitting on bridges and over switches? Was painting the house and thought I heard train horns. Depending on which way the wind is blowing I can hear them at some of the crossings in Northfield. Couldn't run over to Tilton to see if they were there.
  by BowdoinStation

The line looks clear, NEGS ran and grabbed that open hopper parked on the Merrimack River Bridge. I will be up around Canterbury tomorrow, I'll look around and report my findings.. There's a great convenience store off Exit 18, who is one of my customers. Gives me a reason to check things out..