• Official New England Southern Thread (NEGS)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by MEC407

Video of NEGS 2555 in service:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtXfAHVmnR4
  by jaymac

...and a buggy to boot!
  by b&m 1566

That's a sharp looking engine!
Peter use to use the old turntable in Concord for inspection of the under sides of his engines, what does he use now or does Pan Am allow him rights that far down so he can access the switch to the turntable lead.
  by park

Stopped in Concord last week to check out the new SW1500. Dropped by the tower where the NEGS stored their power in the past. No unit. Is the S1500 based out of Concord and if so do they park it in any particular location. I will be back next week and would like to grab a photo.

Paul
  by RailPhotographer

The unit is now kept in Canterbury on posted property; the angle for photography is not good.
  by joshg1

I spotted what I expect was the last NEGS train until spring from my apartment today. It will also be the last NEGS train I see as I am moving out of this vantage point tomorrow. Slurry cars for Tilton and hoppers to be left on the bridge over the Merrimack (can't confirm).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd-d4eiUxpk
  by BowdoinStation

Last check from Sunday 3/24, there is still an open hopper sitting on the north side of the Merrimack River Bridge in Concord, very visible from I-93, just north of Exit 15. Rails looks mighty rusty north of the Pan Am / NEGS interchange and runaround track in Concord.
  by MinutemanMaroon

What is the current status of NEGS? I know they lost the rights to the trackage between Manchester and Concord, and they got booted out of Concord by PAR. Are they still holding onto that one Tilton customer? Also, I noticed that there is a siding just north of where the Lincoln Branch separates from the old Northern line with some equipment (A D&H boxcar and an old MOW machine). Do these belong to NEGS? Does the old B&M boxcar near the Gas House Bridge still belong to NEGS even though they don't control that track anymore? What trackage rights, if any, do they still hold in the city of Concord?
  by BowdoinStation

NEGS immaculate SW1500 has sat quietly since last fall and all through the winter at their facility in Canterbury. Nothing has moved there. On the north side of the Merrimack River bridge, they left a flat car and two hoppers which are partially on the bridge. It appeared there was not too much activity for them in 2013. Their SW1500, #2555 is as clean as a whistle.
  by joshg1

Today, Wednesday the 23rd, I noticed trees and brush cut back in Concord, north from Storrs St to 393. Also saw men with some kind of MOW equipment or tractor behind an old box car. Supposedly the city is preparing to extend Storrs St north, which looks like it would require track relocation to the east.

I have a photo from April 19, 2012 of clay slurry cars waiting behind the Holiday Inn, so it's that time of year.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/newmundane/7104625723
  by BowdoinStation

There are some signs of life off of Exit 18 ! They have been working on getting the 2555 up and ready to go. Could be a move sometime later this week. They still have to move the 3 cars off of the northbound side of the Merrimack River Bridge. They seem like descent people, and I hope they can grow some business along their portion of the New Hampshire Main with what they have to work with.