• Official MEC #501 Steam Restoration Project Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by greenus90

I think the reality is, as much as we want to romanticise getting the 501 running again, if there isn't some steam preservation group or someone with bottomless pockets contributing to the effort, we will not see this steamer running again very soon. THink about this- from a business prespective, does it make sense for CSRR to run 2ea steam locomotives given their usual schedules, and lack of operable passing tracks along the line, which only exist at the line ends? The logistics and cost are a huge hindering factor. For now it's much more practical to run the Diesels as they are more cost effective. Well, except for 2820 lately, but once they fish out the problems it should work relatively well.
You know what would be cool? For the Loco 15 group to snag a C420 or a C424 for the line. Then again ou have reliability problems but almost the same smoke show as a steamer!!!
  by Jack Powell

Regarding the #501 boiler, my question was not where it was built - obviously, it was built somewhere. I would certainly venture to say that few original builder's drawings exist today for the boilers of preserved steam locomotives. That's why I asked if it was an ASME-stamped boiler, not who built it or to what specifications or whether those specifications were the accepted ones at the time the locomotive was built. Lots of designs were acceptable at one time - for example, the frame arrangement of WW&F #9 which used the locomotive firebox as a structural member.

My further question, assuming the # 501 boiler lacks an ASME stamp, addressed the relative ease or difficulty of securing an FRA cab card for such a locomotive today, as opposed to under the regulatory scheme prevailing some years ago when work was last being done on #501. I really don't see that the "rumor mill" has anything to do with these questions, nor has "MECnanic" provided any professional credentials prior to responding to questions about boiler code issues by opining as to what is "true" or "false" about this particular boiler's code compliance. Of course, whether or not the #501 boiler has an ASME stamp IS a true/false question, but he hasn't stated either way. It's not something anyone who's spend much time climbing in and out of it would be likely to miss; they didn't stamp them in secret locations. Isn't the best way to avert "rumors" to simply answer the question, rather than changing the subject?

As for the "wooden main rod" story, perhaps it was a different "stuffed and mounted" past or present Steamtown engine I'm thinking of. It certainly wouln't be unique in preservation.
  by The MECnanic

There is a stamp/tag affixed to the backhead of #501s boiler, I am going to dig out some photos of this item. I have not been inside the cab of # 501 for several years. I will have a answer for you , I don,t duck anything sir.

Stephen. Steamtown did allow us to borrow the Throttle and Quadrant parts and some parts wre cast from wood patterns , The issue at the end of 1999 was the fact that the throttle and valve assy was sent to Strausburg RR to be made right. The Teeth needed to be cut into the stock that will serve as the means to have the throttle locked into a specific spot. Because the #501 lost these parts long ago, and #519 is very similar, but perhaps not identicle to the backhead of #501 , it may end up a trial and error situation. The throttle handle did line up with its bracket and the end of the pull rod at the gland area, that is a very good sign. The yoke neds to be drilled and reamed with the correct taper tool, having the dome throttle installed so everything isn,t floating will determine the location of the Quadrant, and something in the form of calculations for the teeth to be cut into the arc will allow the machinest to perform this task. I,m going to look for photo of backhead,will be back .
  by The MECnanic

I,m going to look into posting some photos of restoration work and some rare photos of Class " W " Locomotives of the MEC . I,m glad that according to the 470 Club that the time has come to make good on the Restoration Project.

It would be nice if Stall #4 could be used, but first rather than work in sand and dirt , construct some Heavy Duty work benches, make sure we have several outlets for power, pipe over a air supply and some hookups so we don,t require hundreds of feet of hoses and cables lying all over. The best thing that could improve things would be to make sure the crossties are good , no soft spots and perhaps without making a big Dig project out of things, do what needs to be done and have a concrete pour where it needs one , proper pitch and a floor drain . It,s no fun working in sand and dirt that turns to mud , and or a pond. I,m sure part of the floor is bricked , but something like the above ideas , can be done without much expense. I,m sure Russ won,t mind making a safer work place

By the way #7470 uses the same tube size as #501 . They are brand new and if not mistaken could also be re-sold to or traded for other items of need . Any Ideas? The tender is best left outside , as the sandblasting and epoxy coatings are betrter dispersed. All ideas are open for talk. Thanks
  by The MECnanic

Well I guess some folks were right perhaps regarding this topic,the initial interest seems to have just been just a flash in the pan I know lots of railfans are checking this forum out but that,s about it. I do want to thank those who do post somthing in the regards to MEC#501. Again untill even I get word or am able to really see the #501 inside the Roundhouse, this time for real......

I am puting togethe photos, tech information, etc for setting up a web site of my own, that others can take part in. Never before attempting to do somthing like this, it may take a few weeks to do so.

Just for the record,on my property I constructed a 85 ft section of railroad track, complete with swith, grade crossing signal , dwarf signals, GRS type SC6 searhlight signals w/16ft mast ,ladder and a metal trackside cases full of vintage relays. Everything works.My neighbors would support my being granted permission to extend my trackage thru their oropety,providing some several hundred feet of CLASS 2 or better track specs under FRA 213 guidlines. The MEC #501 would be right a home and aside from the expenses of getting her here,would allow me to work 24/7 on this project. I am under one mile from active MBTA/CSX line. There looms the possibility of having access to an enclosed building with rail to existing switch in a industrial park, near my home. Yes , I do know lots of RR Brass , Being a lifetime resident and other issues of such make this a distinct possibility . I reserve rights to withold specifics and will exrcise when required. Wouldn,tr the sight of the daily CSX freight train having the#501 at the head end dragging revenue at speed make quite a splash in the local papers.It,s nice to know people who ship 50-75 car load every week via CSX. from one certain location. Thats all I can say at this time. Two rail lines with several miles of out of service rail , now town property , in need of brush cutting ,etc , exist as possible places to operate a short excursion trip ,I,d rather work on restoring the locomotive and figure out where to find time to clear brush by myself, etc. Agai it helps to know people , I know these rail car clubs like this sort of stuff but I get a lot of greif from some of them , my spelling, thats not nice, these few can,t wait to cut me to the quick on my making a simple error of not knowing all their slang words and not being a long term member on this site , and that troubles me deeply. I had a individual who made a reply in reference to a mistake i made , using I believe the " F " word encoded in a comment on the Greenbush Topic Thre capitol letters . I know what those 3 capitol letters mean sir and the same to you. Trust me , I AM NOT A DUMMIE! Understand? I can express myself with civil , yet at times a sharp tounge but WTF? You got your point across, Your IQ has made itself clear. Your not at a bar , children are on this site as well , set a good example. Free political speech is fine but kep the foul 4 letter words and their code equiilvilent stuff under lock and key. THANK YOU!. If anyone disires to lay me out , my private e-mail is posted, hit me with your best shot! Please keep foul words and AKAs of the forum. It,s one thing to post one liners poke fun at Guilford, etc, no F words PLEASE keep it clean.

STEAM501@ comcast.net

by CSRR573

The mechanic, Do you live near West street in Holbrook because ther is someone there who has a few hundred feet of track and a speeder on thier property with signals etc... If that is your house I just want to say Nice job and it looks great :-D :-D
  by The MECnanic

That,s me. Thank You for the compliments. Everything is vintage NYNH&H RR equipment. Everything works from the trackside case. The New Haven 70 & 80 LB. Track dates from 1886. A gift from the Town of Randolph, I set up a section of 70 LB rail and found enough hand hewn sleepers to make it work right where the Randolph RR Station was situated, or very close to it. At the bottom of Depot St and rt 139. you will find the very large stone marker and park the car and check it out. I hired a private contractor to provide me with a good base 8 " of Ballast then went to work removing around 100 feet of rail and switch components, marking all parts and with a load of re-lay ties and switch timbers , put it all back together again. All work was with hand tools and lots of pain killers . Had enough origional stuff to work with so I did not need to buy new. Tie tacks informed me the last maintinence was just before the hurricane of " 38 ". I never did this type work before , I used a string level with a clip on mini fluid level , made a gauge bar and finished off with another 20 tons of crushed stone after hand spikin-em home. My late grandfather Wm. A. Coggon fired a passenger train to Newport R.I. from So. Station over those same rails, the 70 lb stuff. It has become sort of a local tourist attraction, visitors known in advance get an official Smythe & Western Rr ticket , a ride on the Lorry Car , and learn a little history. By the way everything to FRA SPECS gives me Class 2 or better. I can run and activate the Grade X-ing from a remote , just when a oil truck comes by, GOOD DRIVER!!! He stopped. I know the driver from High School, I wish I could put a very good photo on this site and show off a bit. My pissy neighbor calls the cops when I run the bell too long, theres a crank in every neighborhood. The cop came back with kids and they had a good time and the kids were provided with MBTA kids and Trains Operation Lifgesaver materials. Back Yard Railroads what next? Most important!!!!!! I own ,purchased or aquired thru donation , everything on my property, I spent untold hours restoring what seemed to some as junk and everything is so origional , it looks new , but new it is not.... Need a Caboose Std. Gauge, low budget a used set of maching trucks that I can work into somthing. . About a pix, I can e-mail you a photo upon request. Thanks for the nice words, it was a lot of fun doing it and preserving a bit of history, Bye :wink:

by eriemike

I have heard that the guys from Boothbay Village who helped Conway Scenic get the 7470 back on the rails have been hired to work on the 501 sometime this summer. Has anyone else heard this or is it just wishful thinking? I hope not. :-D

by superwarp1

Yes I would like to know what's going on with 501 in simple lamens terms please.

by b&m 1566

The 501 is going to be moved into one of the stalls this spring to begin the restoration. Not sure which stall it will be in or what day they plan on doing this.

by superwarp1

Great news B&M,

Thanks for posting

by eriemike

This is good news! :-D I spoke with a friend who is a member of the model RR club that is located in the freight building at Conway Scenic. He also confirmed that work will commence on the 501 very shortly. One of the guys from Boothbay Village that will be working on the 501 is Jason. He is one of the major movers and shakers at the WW&F Ry. Musuem. He and his co-worker have already have done a look over of the 501. If they are involved then there will be no question that things will happen.

by NHN503

Very nice to hear! :-D

by superwarp1

Any estimates on how long and how much money for the rebuild?