• Official Conway Scenic Railroad Thread (CSRR)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by shadyjay

Is there a reason why 7470 doesn't run to Bartlett regularly?

And 573 on the Notch train? Wow - where are the sisters or "everybody's favorite locomotive" the U-boat?
  by snowskier

I'd guess it would be too expensive to run the 7470 to Bartlett all the time. As for the 573 running the Notch trip, good question. Anyone know for sure?
The photo link I posted yesterday changed. Try this one:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=199625

by Joe Fox

Thanks for the photo, looks great. Maybe all of the regular notch engines were down for repairs then.

Joe

by b&m 1566

Don't forget the 90 day inspections; maybe the "sisters" and the "boat" were out of order for that. Either way I think it's awesome to see different motive power being used rather than the same old stuff day in and day out. I like how they ran the 573 nose first to Crawford’s. I hope they turn the 2820 around by the end of September when I take a ride on the notch train; it will make for better pose at Crawford’s.

by Cowford

Is there a reason why 7470 doesn't run to Bartlett regularly?
In addition to operating/maintenance cost, 7470 is a switcher and, as such, isn't particularly well suited for life on the road, so to speak. That old BM mogul in CT (1455) or 501 would be ideal for CSRR's operations if they were already restored and operational.

by #7470

I am uploading the cassette recording of the 7470 from North Conway to Conway, not the return, I haven't completed it yet. I will post the link.
(Joe, I know you've been waiting for this :-D )

Matt

by Joe Fox

Yes I have, thanks Matt. I look foward to listening to it. You said that the take off will be on it as well, the one with the loud chugging? I can compare that to how the W, W, & F #10 sounds leaving Alna Center on it's journey North.

This past weekend on the W, W, & F we had some pretty loud chugging, going down hill, due to somebody leaving one of the hand brakes on, and we whistled to have it released, and he didn't release it. So when we reached level ground, and started back up a little incline, the reverse lever was all the way back, and all of my steam soon got used up. The pressure dropped from 135-120psi. We were also shooting black smoke, which is unusual, however, that was due to working the engine inefficiently, so there were a lot of unburnt gases going out the stack.

Joe
  by The MECnanic

I must have ESP. What happened to U-BOAT #2820? How about this for a Railfans Day Feature.... A Scrap Train Run-By Photo Shoot? #7470 and#573 can,t do all these trips, too bad there isn,t a back up steam locomotive on hand, like #501. :-D
  by b&m 1566

The MECnanic wrote:What happened to U-BOAT #2820? How about this for a Railfans Day Feature.... A Scrap Train Run-By Photo Shoot?

Okay I don't think the 2820 is that bad. The engine was dead when it arrived on property and has come far since then! Though I'm a bigger fan of the "sisters" the 2820 has got a lot of character.
The MECnanic wrote:#7470 and#573 can,t do all these trips, too bad there isn,t a back up steam locomotive on hand, like #501. :-D
The 573 does handle most of the trips during the year. The 573 is the CSRR number 1 engine. When I was up there this past April I thought for sure I would have seen the 2820 being used but it wasn't. When I asked why I was told the 573 is the best engine work with and operate.
  by The MECnanic

b&m 1566 wrote:
The MECnanic wrote:What happened to U-BOAT #2820? How about this for a Railfans Day Feature.... A Scrap Train Run-By Photo Shoot?

Okay I don't think the 2820 is that bad. The engine was dead when it arrived on property and has come far since then! Though I'm a bigger fan of the "sisters" the 2820 has got a lot of character.
The MECnanic wrote:#7470 and#573 can,t do all these trips, too bad there isn,t a back up steam locomotive on hand, like #501. :-D
The 573 does handle most of the trips during the year. The 573 is the CSRR number 1 engine. When I was up there this past April I thought for sure I would have seen the 2820 being used but it wasn't. When I asked why I was told the 573 is the best engine work with and operate.

The #2820 and #2823 were reversed somhow, the #23 was the good engine unit. #20 just lost a rod,crank ,piston.

by mxdata

A lot of things that are the subjects of discussion on this string might be answered if someone who is on good terms with the railroad were to ask them what their comparative overall operating expense is for steam and diesel with the same number of cars over the same profile per operating day. Not just fuel expense but total including crew expense, the prorated cost of inspections and maintenance, and any additional costs involved in firing up and tending a steam locomotive. They are a business, presumably they have a business plan and know what their operating expenses are for each type of power in each operating situation.

by The MECnanic

Perhaps this may not be the right forum, however, I know many rail car club members view this forum so here goes. I believe I have worked out the bugs on my self propelled 10' flatcar. I,m interested in doing somthing with it besides running it back and forth on my 100' back yard rails. Next step appreciated. Thank You. :wink:

by #7470

Thats cool John. Let me know how it works out.
Oh and on the topic of being off topic, I finnally recieved my model of the 7470 (7429) 0-18a steam locomotive. Man its nice! DCC and Soundtraxx. It was well worth the $$$ and the wait.

Back on topic, what is the current status of the 4266? Has it been moved into the roundhouse and will it recieve a fresh coat of paint? I think its great that the Conway Scenic utilizes all of their operating locomotives, especailly the 1055 which I stil have not had the pleasure to ride behind, well not one that I can remember for that matter.
Matt

by b&m 1566

#7470 wrote:Back on topic, what is the current status of the 4266? Has it been moved into the roundhouse and will it recieve a fresh coat of paint? I think its great that the Conway Scenic utilizes all of their operating locomotives, especailly the 1055 which I stil have not had the pleasure to ride behind, well not one that I can remember for that matter.
Matt
They are probably working on the oil leak that the 4266 has. As I reported in a previous post on this thread the 4266 is leaking oil as fast as they can pour it. I also won't be surprised if the 4266 is shipped out to Waterville at the end of this year to be rewired in its entire if they fix the oil leak. After all that is done then they will replace the rotting panels and re-paint it.

by NHN503

The MECnanic wrote:Perhaps this may not be the right forum, however, I know many rail car club members view this forum so here goes. I believe I have worked out the bugs on my self propelled 10' flatcar. I,m interested in doing somthing with it besides running it back and forth on my 100' back yard rails. Next step appreciated. Thank You. :wink:
On the front of this forum in there is a thread that has a sticky on it for New England rail car clubs that you are more than welcome to join.