• Official Bus thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by octr202

AznSumtinSumtin wrote:I've been noticing on NETransit that there has been a major shift in the 1989 built RTS's. It seems that most of the 80's and 88's and 89's have either gone out of service or moved to the Charlestown garage in just a few days. So my question is, Will Fellsway get more Neoplans or 0 series RTS's. So far it seems like Fellsway will get 0 series RTS's
Ahh...so it wasn't odd that I saw an 89xx on the 64 yesterday...

by Reddy Rocker

Now I have a question. One of the MBTA buses burned down on the Mass Pike yesterday. Anyone know which one it might be?

by sjd0356

I believe it is 0248. I printed out the roster from NETRANSIT on Wednesday and it was lasted as an active bus out of Albany street. Today it is listed at Everett as a stored wreck with fire damage. So I assume thats the one

by jwhite07

The NETransit roster page notes that due to Neoplan's ongoing financial difficulties, the 85-bus order now being delivered may be cut back to 45 buses. The MBTA also mentions this situation in its Transit Commitments Status Report #4, updated as of 9/1/2005 (see http://www.mbta.com/insidethet/transitc ... nts.asp#2b ).

Looks like the MBTA might be among the last agencies to receive a Neoplan bus, as Neoplan may be forced to discontinue bus production at the end of this year. Hopefully the remaining dual-modes will be delivered before this happens.

It'll be interesting to see who gets the nod for the next order. We'll find out next week!

by octr202

jwhite07 wrote:The NETransit roster page notes that due to Neoplan's ongoing financial difficulties, the 85-bus order now being delivered may be cut back to 45 buses. The MBTA also mentions this situation in its Transit Commitments Status Report #4, updated as of 9/1/2005 (see http://www.mbta.com/insidethet/transitc ... nts.asp#2b ).

Looks like the MBTA might be among the last agencies to receive a Neoplan bus, as Neoplan may be forced to discontinue bus production at the end of this year. Hopefully the remaining dual-modes will be delivered before this happens.

It'll be interesting to see who gets the nod for the next order. We'll find out next week!
Curious to see that they're considering a tack on order to another transit authority's order as well. This all could make the MBTA a very varied roster by the time they're done -- and all just a few years removed from being a 100% RTS operation.

I'm wondering what options there are out there for alternatives. NABI, IIRC, is also not doing so well, and I think i recall the CTA having trouble with a recent order. NovaBus is out of the American market, Neoplan soon too maybe, and apparently the T didn't care for New Flyers too much.

Also, anyone know why the T is shuffling the older buses? I noticed that all the 88's and 89's have been pulled from Albany St. and moved to Charlestown. This past week I've been seeing 8900's on Bennett routes like the 64 and the 68. Keeping the old beaters close to the shops at Everett perhaps?

by aline1969

Just came back from Dallas/Houston... nice buses they all have. Houston uses Flyer for city buses and Dallas has a newer RTS with the funky headlights... but their express buses are cool... like a cross between city bus and over the road bus... NABI built tham. Sweet buses, T should get them for all the long runs on the highway ;)

by jwhite07

Also, anyone know why the T is shuffling the older buses? I noticed that all the 88's and 89's have been pulled from Albany St. and moved to Charlestown. This past week I've been seeing 8900's on Bennett routes like the 64 and the 68. Keeping the old beaters close to the shops at Everett perhaps?
Probably. Everett is where buses go to die, after all, and Charlestown is right next door.

by RailBus63

octr202 wrote:Also, anyone know why the T is shuffling the older buses? I noticed that all the 88's and 89's have been pulled from Albany St. and moved to Charlestown. This past week I've been seeing 8900's on Bennett routes like the 64 and the 68. Keeping the old beaters close to the shops at Everett perhaps?
I think the plan is to do one big set of bus transfers between garages now - set up Albany, Lynn and Quincy with all the 0001-0400 RTS's and Neoplans they're slated to receive and consolidate all the old buses at Charlestown and its satellite, Fellsway. Then, as new Neoplans (or whatever) enter service at Charlestown, they can replace the 8800 and 8900's on a 1-for-1 basis.

JD
  by octr202

Looks like another RTS went up in flames last night:
Engine smoke halts T bus on turnpike

For the second time this month, an older model MBTA bus sparked a fire-extinguisher emergency on the Massachusetts Turnpike yesterday. Officials said 40 passengers escaped unharmed. MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo said the driver of the Route 504 bus was headed westbound when he noticed smoke coming from the engine area. The driver stopped the bus at Exit 17 in Newton and sprayed the engine with a fire extinguisher. T officials said the driver did not report seeing flames. Passengers were picked up by another T bus. Pesaturo said yesterday's problem was caused by a burned-out air conditioning compressor and was unrelated to a Sept. 1 fire, sparked by an electrical problem in the engine, that destroyed another 1995 Rapid Transit Service model.
Original article (scroll down for this item): http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... rime_case/

by MBTA1

Just another example of how the T won't bother to help keep their older fleets intact.

by AznSumtinSumtin

I'm just curious about the original destination signs on New Flyers 6000 and 6001. This picture shows them with LCD signs and their original paint running some sort of Blue Line shuttle. Since I have never seen 6000 or 6001 before, I am wondering if they currently have LED or LCD signs. And I am curious why 6001 was at Long Warf at the time the picture was taken.

I am also curious about the little known bus #7000. It looks like a Greyhound type of bus in MBTA paint. Why did the T have a coach?

by CS

Wow - I hope that the T is going to start using coaches for the express routes \ out of town routes because the new buses are so much more uncomfortable compared to the RTS.

by octr202

I recall seeing the 7000 (didn't note its number at the time, but remember seeing the bus with T logos and "MCI Commuter Demo") a few years back, running occasionally on 5xx routes out in Waltham. Can't recall exactly when. I have never seen it show up during the time that I lived in Watertown, and took the 502/504 at times. I would tend to say it was a one of a kind demonstrator, long since returned to the manufacturer.

Judging by the T's purchases, I doubt they'd consider a specific model for a handful of routes. Even some of the shorter routes like the 501-504 are probably a waste for them, since they're fairly short rides anyway.

by RailBus63

New Flyer #6000 now has an orange LED destination sign, so I'm assuming that 6001 does as well.

Interestingly, 6000's 'hoodlum lights' on either side of the front destination sign are still amber and not green like the rest of the T fleet. The amber lights are there because 6000 and 6001 were built as part of New York City's order, but I thought they would have been replaced when they received their LED signs.

Regarding MCI commuter coach #7000 - that bus toured numerous transit properties in an attempt by MCI to drum up interest in using coaches on express services instead of buses. Just as it received a temporary MBTA paint job on the front quarter, I've seen pictures of it painted for SEPTA in Philadelphia and Queens Surface in NYC. According to Jonathan Belcher's note in ROLLSIGN that year, the MBTA had no interest in buying coaches, though.

JD

by ckb

I caught the 6000 running on the #1 a few days ago.

Maybe its a grass is always greener kind of thing, but I thought the bus just felt a lot nicer on the inside than the NABI's. Not just the fabric seats, but also a extra hand hold on the front left utility cabinet, etc.