• Official Bus thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by jwhite07

Apparently at least some of the NABI CNGs slated to be based out of Cabot Garage are now in service - I saw 2167 picking up passengers on the 39 at Back Bay yesterday.

At a Cummins facility in Dedham are 2007, 2094, 2225, 2238, 2239, and 2240. 2007 and 2094 are Arborway-based buses in for warranty repair (2007 was in fact the first NABI to enter service last fall). The others are new arrivals and will eventually call Cabot home. NABIs have CNG engines supplied by Cummins.

by efin98

Does anybody know how far along the completion of the new CNG fueling station at Cabot is?

by jwhite07

One fueling station exists already, I believe, to support the Neoplan and New Flyer CNGs that had been based at Cabot for a while now. Additional fueling stations and modifications to the main garage to support full CNG operations should be complete later this month.

The Neoplan artics are in the process of being moved over to the new Southampton garage already, even though that facility is not yet fully complete. I saw a half dozen or so artics there on Sunday. In addition to the artics, Southampton is the temporary home of seven NABIs and the five remaining silver New Flyers. The MBTA has restricted the Neoplan artics from operating during evening hours because they are too noisy, so the NABIs cover evening Route 39 service and the New Flyers cover evening Silver Line service until the Neoplans receive muffler modifications to fix the noise problem. Eventually the NABIs will go to Cabot and the New Flyers will probably join the rest of the 6000s at Charlestown.

by efin98

Any idea what the artics were doing in Chelsea lately? I saw a few of them parked in the Logan Employee Lot across from the Paul Revere Transportation garage, I thought they were no longer tested in Chelsea but rather down in Dedham/Hyde Park/Roslindale etc.

by Spenbald

Relating to buses:

I have seen 4101 being used as an instruction bus on the 73 route nearly every weekday over the last two weeks. I like how nearly all the new vehicles have been ordered to look pretty much the same. It gives the entire operation more uniformity.

by jwhite07

Ed - just speculation, but is that where they're doing the muffler mods, perhaps?

Spenbald - 4101 has been testing just about every weekday since late December! Add to that the two prior test periods in Boston, and even a short visit to the Dayton, Ohio trackless network. 4101 is going to have some serious miles on it by the time it finally goes into revenue service!!

by CSX Conductor

Efin, perhaps they were being parked on eastern ave Chelsea in order to work in East Boston/ Revere/ Lynn area. There is a CNG pump on the access road near the rear entrance of Logan. This is where Paul Revere fuels their CNG busses for the Massport airport shuttle contract. there is also a pump on Rover Street in Everett opposite Distrigas. That is where I got my first glimpse of a test bus for the T a few years back while I was refueling at the CNG pump.

by efin98

CSX_Conductor, it's doubtful they would work the Chelsea/Revere/East Boston routes as those are out of a different garage. I think Jon might be right in his guess, but whatever reason for being in Chelsea they are just sitting there.
Not something I want to see from an expensive bus, especially a new one.

by jwhite07

Several of the new Cabot-based NABI buses are now in service, mostly on the 1/Harvard-Dudley route.

I'd heard there have been a few appearances of NABIs operating on the 9/Copley-City Point route, which was confirmed when I caught a ride on #2140 yesterday. More than a year ago, operation of the 9 was transferred from Cabot Garage to Albany Street Garage, so I don't know why Cabot-based NABIs are suddenly showing up on the 9. But I'm not complaining!

by jrc520

rather odd thing, I saw one of the Charlestown CNG's running the 352 on tuesday. That's a long trip! now, if only they could use them on the 354...

by octr202

So far this week, I've seen the 1 about 6 or 7 times, and I have yet to see an RTS on it. All 2100 NABI's.

The NETransit roster had the following:
Cabot notes: Garage is being converted to full CNG facility. 181 NABI buses (2119-2299) are to be assigned between April and June 2004. 2119-2125 temporarily assigned to Arborway, 2129 2132, 2133, 2134, 2141, 2153, 2166, 2167 temporarily assigned to Southampton St. Initial NABI buses intended for operation at Cabot that have been delivered between February and April are being held at Everett, Charlestown, and Cabot prior to entering service at Cabot. 15 NABIs (2125, 2126, 2127, 2130, 2131, 2135, 2137, 2138, 2139, 2140, 2142, 2144, 2145, 2150, 2158) entered service at Cabot on 04/12/04, but are refueled at Southampton St. Full operation of additional NABIs at Cabot requires completion of Cabot CNG refueling facilities, which may be ready in mid to late May.
http://members.aol.com/rtspcc/roster/MBTAroster.html

If you drive around the area near the Everett shops and Charlestown garage you can see the small horde of buses waiting to enter service over there. It'll be nice to see them finally start earning their keep.

For the TT fans, note that it says that Neoplan/Skoda are starting to deliver the new Trackless Trolleys...to Watertown. Maybe we'll finally get to ride them in May like it says?

by jwhite07

For the TT fans, note that it says that Neoplan/Skoda are starting to deliver the new Trackless Trolleys...to Watertown. Maybe we'll finally get to ride them in May like it says?
I saw that, too, and walked around Watertown Carhouse with my wife last Saturday. No sign of recent activity at all... the place looks as dead as it has for years now. I hope that the new ETBs have limited off-wire capability (I assume they do, as most ETBs are built that way nowadays) because there is no overhead wire into the carhouse!

It had been years since I visited Watertown Carhouse. I have photos I took back in 1989, showing a yard full of derelict PCCs and wrecked Boeing LRVs. Now the yard is totally gone and the space it occupied is a commuter parking lot.

by ckb

Now that the NABI's are showing up on the 1 bus, which I ride daily - I've had a chance to see how they really work in daily service. Some comments:

So far, they seem to be working well in general, especially when they aren't jam packed. Haven't seen the wheelchair ramp in use yet, but I have noticed many of the seniors having an easier time getting up just the small step instead of the three big ones on the RTS's. Interesting note - yesterday someone requested the bus to "kneel" even for the small step. The driver hesitated for a moment and then found the appropriate button. Then she said 'hmm, i didn't know these busses could do that.' Excuse me? Aren't these folks supposed to have at least some training on the equipment? Isn't this feature something that should be covered in this training? (likewise with the destination signs that some people were commenting about before, although I've had good luck with this so far).

They are a comfortable ride, though - they don't rattle and bang down Mass Ave. quite so much as the RTS's do -- that stretch between Central and MIT is BUMPY! They also have some surprising pep for large busses. I think the drivers are still getting used to this, because when driving away from a stop the bus really jumps out.

The rear doors are farther forward than on the RTS's, which I really like because in encourages more people to use them. I've noticed that people will always walk forward to a door (barring other circumstances) even if the rear door is closer. This really does make a difference in speeding operations.

Some small (or not) comments that could be improved (some more easily than others):

There is a conspicuous lack of a handhold on the very front left of the passenger area (I guess there are some sort of access panels here). But I've seen people try to reach for something over there when they are still walking back as the bus moves forward and grapsing in thin air. Also a problem when running a very crowded bus with lots of standees (as can be common on the 1, especially in the evening rush).

Speaking of crowded busses and standees, the NABI's don't do a great job of handling this. There is a nice big area by the rear door, but then when those doors open they open inward (why????) and bang into everyone standing there. People will eventually learn this isn't a good place to stand, I guess - but it wastes a lot of space.

A suggesting to help this (understanding that a door revamp is unlikely) -- take out the double row of front facing seats on the front right side of the passenger area. I think there is room for three side facing seats in their place, so you only lose one seat. People don't really like to sit two across with strangers anyway, and you gain a whole bunch of standing room in the center aisle.

Finally, I think this has been mentioned before, but there really aren't enough stop request strips. Nothing is really accessible to anyone standing, and from one of the rows (now i forget which one) it isn't really easy to reach, either. Of course the old fashioned way of shouting out 'next stop please' seems to work ok in the event of not being able to reach the strip.

by Diverging Route

At a public talk today, MBTA GM Michael Mulhern said that the new Neoplan AN440 LF/ETB trackless trolleys will begin public operation "in about two weeks."

by CS

A bit off topic...
But at another transportation forum, I stumbled upon pictures of the old Fields Corner Busway just before they started construction, currently going on.

http://www.geocities.com/hannity_colmes ... orner.html