Railroad Forums 

• O/T Nick11A in the lead for most frequent posts

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#20541  by TR-00

Gosh JT, I had a conversation with a conductor just like this one about a year ago. Next time I saw him, he was hanging on to the girders at RIVER, while the rain poured, the lightning flashed and the wind blew. He sure seemed to be enjoying himself!

#20600  by nick11a

Well Steve, if you and others wanna meet somewhere that's fine, but I ain't of drinking age yet. Two more years.

And Jt and TR, do I have to put you two in the corner? :)

#20620  by Jtgshu

Nah, I just wanna conduct one of TR's trains.......

"okay, we are gonna spot the doors between teh 11th and 12th car, you have a spot, right?.........Uh, No D's, A901, there is a 60 on some track somewhere between Rahway and New Brunswick, and sing along with me as I chant Kumbiya"

:D

#20623  by nick11a

A conductor making an engineer chant Kumbiya with him. Sounds like a hit CD!

#20635  by TR-00

Nah Nick, not necessary. Jt and I have been friends for a while and I truly respect him and his abilities (although I would never publicly admit it).

The Kumbiya gag stems back to an incident from about a year ago. A rather new rear brakeman ("Daddy, what's a flagman") was working my train on the NJCL. This brakie was fascinated with the PA, and the sound of his own voice. He would spend the entire distance between stations giving tips to the entire train (how to politely use a cell phone, the joys of sharing your seat, why the person next to you smells like a sewer, etc.). This was acceptable for the first 300 trips, but after a while, it began to get on everyone's nerves. Other crew members began to drop subtle hints to him, "Yo, Yakko, shut up!" But he persisted.

On the afternoon in question, we paused at Woodbridge to load. The door closed lights came on followed by two on the buzzer. As I released the brake, the center door closed light went out. Now, I can't apply power. Of course, Yakko is in the middle of his "All doors will open from here on, except at Linden where only the first five cars will be on the platform if the engineer doesn't miss his mark" speech. This means I can't use the PA to say those two dreaded words, "Center doors."

I couldn't reach the conductor on the radio for some unkown reason (he had 'inadvertantly' shut it off). Finally, in desperation, I jumped down from the ALP-44 and ran back to the first car. I attracted the conductor's attention by beating on the door. My exact words to the conductor were, "When Yakko gets done leading the passengers in singing Kumbiya, will you have the crew check the %$#*&^%$ center doors?"

For the next few weeks, everytime Yakko would enter a room, somebody would begin humming Kumbiya. Incidentally, Yakko has reformed, and now does a fine job...but occasionally, the humming still starts.

#20656  by Jtgshu

:D :D :D ahhahahahahaha :P :P :P

#20664  by rvrrhs

Now if someone could just shut up the female conductor who has recently been working the New York-bound train from South Amboy that hits Elizabeth around 9:27am. Boy, does she love to hear herself talk!

"...put your bags in the overhead racks, no standing in the vestibules, keep your feet out [sic] the seats, and no smoking aboard this train...."

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah......SHUT UP!

#20667  by njt4172

Is she hot?

#20718  by rvrrhs

njt4172 wrote:Is she hot?
If you like heavyset African Americans who often smell like rubber kitchen gloves, then yes.

#20774  by nick11a

LOL! Great story TR, and you tell it so well! Especially:
TR-00 wrote:He would spend the entire distance between stations giving tips to the entire train (how to politely use a cell phone, the joys of sharing your seat, why the person next to you smells like a sewer, etc.).
:D

EDIT:Oh, and btw TR, I know you like Jt. He himself speaks highly of you but he would never admit that publicly. :)
Last edited by nick11a on Fri May 21, 2004 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#20775  by nick11a

...and while I'm at it.....

BIG 500! WOOHOOO!

EDIT: Wow cool, I'm a veteran now.

#20779  by Irish Chieftain

I'm a veteran now
Ah good. Do you do dental work on cats?
Last edited by Irish Chieftain on Fri May 21, 2004 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#20780  by nick11a

Irish Chieftain wrote:Ah good. Do you do dental work on cats?
It can't be that hard to figure out. :)

#20788  by Jtgshu

I think it should be, instead of "Veteran" - "Post Whore"!!!

Although, Im not too far behind!!!

Its too bad we can't make our own labels up, another site I belong to, Gixxer.com, the mods give you one usually based on something brainless you did, sometimes good, sometimes bad - its really funny!!!

#20793  by TR-00

I swear, JT, when you hit 300, I'm gonna have the Trainmaster in NY post a memo on the window. Be warned..hahahahahah :P

Of course nobody reads memos...