• New plan for Buffalo Central Terminal redevelopment

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

lvrr325 wrote:The stuff you're throwing away could probably be sold to raise funds for the place for the sake of some volunteer labor.
No, really, a lot of it is trash. Like, not worth saving. While I applaud your idea to possibly save some items and convert them into cash to support the volunteers, there's a very specific market for railroad paper, and not everything marked railroad is valuable or worth the time to list on eBay. That's my experience as a paper collector. I've also spent a fair amount of time in BCT (with permission) and have seen some of the "treasure" that is scattered about and can tell you it's not worth the time to soft through mountains of office paper to find that one gold nugget.

That said, contact the kind folks at CRTC and see if they would be willing to grant you supervised access to go through one of the trashed floors and help bag up some of the mess. If you find a couple of "diamonds in the rough," then it's worth your effort, and perhaps BCT can benefit as well.

-otto-
  by Noel Weaver

Otto Vondrak wrote:
lvrr325 wrote:The stuff you're throwing away could probably be sold to raise funds for the place for the sake of some volunteer labor.
No, really, a lot of it is trash. Like, not worth saving. While I applaud your idea to possibly save some items and convert them into cash to support the volunteers, there's a very specific market for railroad paper, and not everything marked railroad is valuable or worth the time to list on eBay. That's my experience as a paper collector. I've also spent a fair amount of time in BCT (with permission) and have seen some of the "treasure" that is scattered about and can tell you it's not worth the time to soft through mountains of office paper to find that one gold nugget.

That said, contact the kind folks at CRTC and see if they would be willing to grant you supervised access to go through one of the trashed floors and help bag up some of the mess. If you find a couple of "diamonds in the rough," then it's worth your effort, and perhaps BCT can benefit as well.

-otto-
This ia good advice. I would think that at this stage just about anything of any value is probably long gone. I have cleaned out a few spaces over the years and I did very well in my efforts but it was always very soon after the space was vacated. Bring some good cleaning stuff and wear the worst clothes you own. If it were me, I wouldn't touch anything not no how, too dangerous.
Noel Weaver
  by terminalfanatic

With all this new development on the Central Terminal. What does everyone think? Is it for real this time?

Canadian Named Central Terminal Designated Developer
http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news ... nated.html

Master Plan For Central Terminal Includes Townhouses In Surrounding Neighborhood
http://www.buffalonews.com/city-region/ ... d-20160524

Filming Of Marshall Brings A Benefit To A Buffalo Landmark
http://www.wgrz.com/mb/news/local/filmi ... /213932496
  by terminalfanatic

Terminal City...interesting title.

https://www.buffalorising.com/2016/09/terminal-city/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and as an added bonus "Ken Block's GYMKHANA NINE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bkX5Vk ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Otto Vondrak

terminalfanatic wrote:With all this new development on the Central Terminal. What does everyone think? Is it for real this time?
For real?

The RFP is really real.

This developer is going to answer the RFP for real.

The next steps include this developer's RFP being really selected. Then the developer will have to find some real money to finance this project.

The developer is taking this seriously. Let's see if the financiers do.

-otto-
  by NYCRRson

Well, it is a long way from an "RFP" (request for proposal) to an actual proposal to a successful project/product.

I have been down this path many times and the existence of an RFP issued by a government agency is about the first 1% of the progress towards a final successful project.

I've seen government projects much much bigger than this falter many years after the initial RFP. And then they become historical footnotes (nobody remembers failures).

But it could work out in the end.

Of course, if I remember my history correctly the NYC was convinced that building the terminal in that location would cause a resurgence in that blighted (yes it was a "dank" area back in the 1920's as well) neighborhood, but the second time might be the charm.

Wonder how much the volunteers that saved the building will get in recognition of all their hard work ? Free townhouses ?

Cheers, Kevin.
  by lvrr325

It's all in how you list the paper on eBay. I was selling files of New Haven engineering documents just by sorting through and listing the location and sold every last bit of it.
  by terminalfanatic

Wonder how much the volunteers that saved the building will get in recognition of all their hard work ? Free townhouses ?
If that is the case(which I know it isn't) then I should be set.