• New Meadowlands Rail Station

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Hawaiitiki

Well they're are both planned to start Fall 2007 but god knows if that will happen.

by alewifebp

I think we have to wait for the siding project to be completed, but I do believe weekend service is coming. And quite frankly, to make this station any where near even a partial success, weekend service, along with improved multi-directional weekday service is needed.

by Steve F45

thats what is supposed to come. Bi-directional service during the week and weekend service. But its not going to be like the BCL/Main line is in terms of service.

by northjerseybuff

So when the station opens up will there be shuttle trains to and from Secaucus or will there be dedicated lets say sat night horse racing trains from several lines?
With a Y being in place it would be possible for a PVL to make direct access from points west on that line. any thoughts on this?
  by Peter Quennell

Hi guys:

I posted some shots here this morning of the earthworks and track. Taken last Sunday.

Galaxy Rising: Xanadu + Meadowlands Stadium Rail Link Happening Very Fast Now

Thanks for all the pointers. There are recent posts on the progress of Xanadu and the stadium too, if you scroll down from the homepage.

The Galaxy is north-east of the Meadowlands on the Hudson, about two miles away.

by Hawaiitiki

Does anyone know why this station is being built into a permanent terminal station. They should have at least left the option open of extending it to the Bergen Line and making it a through station on the Pascack Valley Line.

by Steve F45

Hawaiitiki wrote:Does anyone know why this station is being built into a permanent terminal station. They should have at least left the option open of extending it to the Bergen Line and making it a through station on the Pascack Valley Line.
unless they have in the plans for possible expansion? I do not see a point in a solild wall that would require massive renovatinos if they decided to make this a thru station and connect with the bergen county line by rt.3 like they should've with another Y.
  by Peter Quennell

Hawaiitiki

I dont see it happening because of the cost of elevating the track over Route 3 and the, ah, swamp to the Bergen line.

That route was in effect all the options they explored except option 7 (map via the link in my post above) and there are some pdf documents explaining how they assessed all the options.

To me it is still very unclear how many trains they will be running weekdays to Xanadu. All the design work seemed to be based on the 10,000 they hope will ride on game days.

You might recall that one possible end-point for what is still the Hudson-Hudson Light Rail was actually the Meadowlands.

I really hope to see that trolley helping out the poor bastards who live in eastern Bergen County - their commute is a real nightmare and it hurts their values.

by mikewpu04

As a Route 3 commuter and someone who works on Sundays...getting to the Lincoln is a disaster on game days. Even if 1000 less cars go to the Meadowlands with the rail service, I consider it a big success. I just hope this Xanadu mall doesnt create more road traffic.

by HoboKen bound

I can't wait to take a train to see the devils in the meadowlands. Oh, wait, they're moving to Newark.

by Steve F45

i was pondering this yesterday. when east bound trains enter the meadowlands the engine is facing west, when it leaves to continue to hoboken it will be facing east now correct? is this how its supposed to be set up?

by northjerseybuff

Well, if this were considered a stop along the PVL it would be a problem with the reverse ends of the train. I think..the plan is for shuttle trains. or hourly service or something along those lines. I could be wrong though.

by danny700

I heard George Zoffinger, the President and CEO of the NJSEA, about an hour ago on the Mike and the Mad Dog program say that direct rail service to the Meadowlands will be ready by February 2009.

by Steve F45

i can see that. I've periodically checked on the progress. Station construction is already on its way. They've been driving pilings into the ground and i think have marked out foundations. The "Y" coming off the PVL is coming along, ROW is clear as day. The line itself is going to be completely elevated one your off the pvl. Concrete supports are in place west of murray hill parkway and some are up just east of murry hill parkway. Bridge abutments are beeing worked on at the stable gate entrance to the arena/stadium off of 120. Thats were it goes to the dirt elevation again.

by northjerseybuff

I have a feeling this project will get done ahead of schedule. This is being paid for by the NJSA. A warm winter, plus bonuses to the company could get this done before the anticipated 2009 completion date. I believe this same company did the Rt4/17 interchange and got that job done well ahead of schedule