• New Locomotives for GO Transit

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by D.Carleton

It's been reported the new power from MPI will be the MP36PH-3S, variants of which have already found their way to Chicago, San Francisco and New Mexico. Still, it is ironic that a 710-powered locomotive should be replaced by one with an older, albeit highly refined, 645 and produced by GE no less.

by doepack

Out with the 710, and in with the 645? That's interesting. It'll also be interesting to see if GO plans to dress up these new locomotives in a more progressive variation of their logo as was done on Metra's order, when the orange "lightning stripe" scheme was introduced. No doubt, the Metra MP36's can pull a full SRO load of 11 cars with ease, but it should be noted that some of these units were sidelined last winter due to excessive snow buildup in the turbocharger. And, given Canada's notoriously harsh winters, I can't help but wonder if history could repeat itself here when these units begin earning their keep for GO in revenue service...

by Irish Chieftain

4000 horsepower 16-710 prime mover, Tier II compliant. Looks like the locomotive might end up being called the MP40PH or some such nomenclature...

by D.Carleton

EMD's release wrote:The engine is EMD's service proven and highly reliable 16-710 4,000 HP EPA emissions compliant Tier 2 engine, which will be the first Tier 2 application in a passenger locomotive in North America.
Well now! I stand corrected. Kudos to EMD. Perhaps this is a sign they've shaken off the doldrums of recent years.

by Irish Chieftain

Don't forget that they are no longer part of General Motors. They have not, however, taken to new-building passenger locomotives of their own volition.

by D.Carleton

Irish Chieftain wrote:Don't forget that they are no longer part of General Motors.
Them's would be the doldrums I was referring to.

by Ken V

GO MP40PH-3C 600 (clad in primer) has gone from Motive Power in Boise ID to Pueblo CO for testing and then returned. Now GO 601 (in full livery) is out and will soon be ready to be delivered.

Photos: GO 600 and GO 601

Note: reposted from another thread - originally posted on May 17, 2007...

by Ken V

It looks like anticipated delivery to GO may be a bit premature. I've been informed that MP40-3C 601 is not yet finished and was shipped to Toronto as an exhibit for the American Public Transportation Association convention being held here. Word is, it will go back to Boise for completion after the convention is over.

I saw the 601 in GO's Willowbrook yard this afternoon. It was coupled to a short trainset and had temporary steps erected by both the front and rear platforms, presumably for conventioneer viewing access.

Update: here are some photos taken on June 2.

by Irish Chieftain

I do wonder why GO Transit continues to go with four-axle power when they run trains of ten cars in length and their top speeds are not much above 80 mph. A locomotive with the C-C wheel arrangement would help in areas like long train acceleration, axle loadings insofar as weight, and durability, I believe.

by DutchRailnut

not just believe but certainty is 6 axle power chews up rail and switches.

by byte

The F40Cs Metra used to have actually took more time to accelerate than the F40PHs because it was the same generator feeding six rather than four traction motors. In order to really top a four-axle unit's performance using six axles, you'd need a larger power assembly as well, which would eat up more fuel.

by HoggerKen

DutchRailnut wrote:not just believe but certainty is 6 axle power chews up rail and switches.

Sorry old sock. If they chew up your switches, it is because of poor maintainence or materials. I have seen #11 manual swtiches in place for over 4 decades on the Overland Route, pulled out and put into yards still in very good shape. No welding or other work was needed. In all those years, they have been ground and tamped every season.

The Overland Route sees a lot more tonnage than most passenger routes in the NE, no matter how busy they are. Coal at 50, manifest at 60, and intermodal at 70 mph. And most all of it with six axle locomotives. Including the Metra Routes in Chicago (which passenger trains run 79 mph daily).

So I find it hard to believe Jaap what you say is true.