• New Auto Facility in Ayer

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by mick

Pan Am
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

by GRSGuy

I heard Chrysler, but it's just talk. I've seen nothing official yet.

by NellsChoo

San Vel? Not sure where that is... is it directly across from the Ford location? Isn't there a tire company or something there? Or is it the empty land between the two rail lines after the crossings?

JD

by NYC27

It is located across from the present auto facility in the space between the Stoney Brook (Freight Main) and Fitchburg lines. San Vel was a concrete tie manufacturer that went out of business after a fatal wreck out west was attributed to their product. It has been vacant for years.

The tire guy is Routhier, they are located between the auto yard and Willows Road. They grind up tires to use as a fuel and other things. This stuff would probably move by rail if someone could figure out how to unload a car without a clamshell or a shovel, it doesn't flow like coal or stone.

by NellsChoo

OK, I think I know where you mean. Will have to keep an eye on that. Why build a new one with the old one right there? CSX could make money by selling it to Guilford/PanAm, couldn't they?

by boatsmate

"This stuff would probably move by rail if someone could figure out how to unload a car without a clamshell or a shovel, it doesn't flow like coal or stone."

How about a rotory dump?? like at the Power plants? or a vac like at Boston sand and gravel????

by cpf354

Ayer and Pan Am settled the issue with an agreement that required Pan Am to give the town 60 days notice prior to any construction, but the town says they never did. It's over an aquifer and there's concern over run-off, so stay tuned. :wink:

by NellsChoo

That was in the Globe a while back! Ayer didn't want them to build! OK, now I see... I bet contruction never starts... I still say they should buy the CSX yard that is already there...

by mick

Construction has already started.
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

by CN9634

Whoa, Concrete ties? Anyone wouldn't be able to snap a few pics would they :wink:

by NellsChoo

I was out there yesterday and didn't see that. Looks like the NEMCO trackage might have been flooded, though, as there were people wooking on their area of the loop.

by Clem Brookster

Tomorrow night (Tuesday 11/28), the topic of Guilford will be brought up at the Ayer Board of Selectmen's meeting at Town Hall. Though the meeting will run from 7-9 PM, its agenda schedules the topic, along with other items, under the "Report of the Town Administrator" from 8:30 to 8:45.

I'm sure that lots of folks will be in attendance.

The Ayer Public Spirit, published every Friday and also online, is a good source of information.

It seems that the railroad is also still Guilford to the Town of Ayer.

by CN9634

Some of those cement ties look used :wink:

by bozotexino

My guess is they're old San-Vel ties that were still sitting around somewhere on the property.

Bozo