• New Auto Facility in Ayer

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by CN9634

Sounds like Guilford (or PAR if you want to be politically correct), they probably found em in the bushes :wink:

by CN9634

Not to bump this thread, just didn't want to start a new one. Anyways...
Whats going on here? Anything at all? The last pictures I saw had some cement ties laid out. Anything since?
Thanks,
Charles H.

by Clem Brookster

I have driven by the site of the new auto facility in Ayer numerous times during the past few months, and have seen no sign of activity. The entrance gates have been locked on every occasion, and it appears that the construction season so far has been wasted.

Perhaps Chrysler, or any other manufacturer, does not want to relocate to the new facility. Unless CSX reopens the existing yard across Willow Rd., in order to alleviate congestion at its East Briookfield site (and therefore pacify angry neighbors there), it seems that there will no autoracks shining the rails of the old B&M in the foreseeable future.

by cpf354

Clem Brookster wrote:I have driven by the site of the new auto facility in Ayer numerous times during the past few months, and have seen no sign of activity. The entrance gates have been locked on every occasion, and it appears that the construction season so far has been wasted.

Perhaps Chrysler, or any other manufacturer, does not want to relocate to the new facility. Unless CSX reopens the existing yard across Willow Rd., in order to alleviate congestion at its East Briookfield site (and therefore pacify angry neighbors there), it seems that there will no autoracks shining the rails of the old B&M in the foreseeable future.
I read that the railroad notified the town that the parking area is completed, with spaces for about 750 vehicles. It's an issue since its sited on top of an aquifer. The town is still seeking assurances from the railroad that the aquifer will be protected, so there may be some legal issues involved in getting the facility started.
The traffic source, if any, has been a closely held secret. I wouldn't be surprised if it just opens one day without warning.

by NellsChoo

One note: we have heard and seen people getting bagged for dirt-biking and ATVing on and around the property. Both Ayer and B&M police were involved in the icident we saw first hand... :P