• My future MBTA subway map

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by jamoldover

Interesting, but if you're looking for comments or thoughts, it might help to identify things as other than "Point 95" and "Line 128". Maybe some explanation as to what each point or line represents, such as commuter rail, subway, etc.?
  by Rockingham Racer

Back to the future a lot of ways.
  by RenegadeMonster

My take on the map is that it's all light rail / rapid transit. It appears to turn the CR and former branch lines into light rail. So many stops its hard to follow, but I assume there are new routes as well.

I think a suggestion I would make would be some organization of routes. Such as what is a much have and should be built as it would yield high ridership and advantages. Then secondary routes to explore later and lastly wishful thinking.
  by railgeekteen

jamoldover wrote:Interesting, but if you're looking for comments or thoughts, it might help to identify things as other than "Point 95" and "Line 128". Maybe some explanation as to what each point or line represents, such as commuter rail, subway, etc.?
All lines except the Yellow, Green, and Indigo lines are Rapid Transit. Yellow and Green are light rail and Indigo is commuter rail. The points are stops.
  by BostonUrbEx

There's certainly a lot of overkill in here, especially without some explanations (any proposed land use changes and land use intensification). On the flip side, given how much overkill there is, there's perplexing gaps in the network. If there's passenger service on the Framingham Secondary to Leominster, just go a little further and make a connection to the Fitchburg Line in Fitchburg. Also, no Providence-Worcester service, but there's Ayer-Worcester service which has significantly less demand. Three stops between Durham and Dover is incredibly excessive for that area (again, unless you're proposing massive development, or radical deregulation of land use/zoning).
  by RenegadeMonster

Also, I think it should include the greenfield shuttle. Service between Greenfield and Hartford, CT on the Connecticut River Line.
  by BandA

I like the reactivation of the Central Mass, and the Watertown ¨A¨ line. I see the B&A is converted to some kind of rapid-transit, and there is a new greenfield commuter rail line running straightline through Newton, including through bodies of water. Imagine Weston allowing a new Commuter Rail line! And a greenfield line through Newton would be too darn expensive.

I see the Lexington Branch has been converted to Red Line, where will the rail trail go?

It´s very hard to see the colors; I´d like to have the lines get a bit wider after you zoom in.
  by CRail

BandA wrote:I see the Lexington Branch has been converted to Red Line, where will the rail trail go?
It’ll go poof. It’s called a RAIL trail for a reason. It’s also called a railroad RIGHT OF WAY for a reason. Pols might not see it this way, but in legal terms they T is being nice enough to let bikes use their line while they don’t. It remains an MBTA owned railroad right of way. Never happen right? Tell that to anyone who wanted to live in a condo on top of yard 7 50 years ago.
  by railgeekteen

BostonUrbEx wrote:There's certainly a lot of overkill in here, especially without some explanations (any proposed land use changes and land use intensification). On the flip side, given how much overkill there is, there's perplexing gaps in the network. If there's passenger service on the Framingham Secondary to Leominster, just go a little further and make a connection to the Fitchburg Line in Fitchburg. Also, no Providence-Worcester service, but there's Ayer-Worcester service which has significantly less demand. Three stops between Durham and Dover is incredibly excessive for that area (again, unless you're proposing massive development, or radical deregulation of land use/zoning).
I will add Providence to Worcester, but is there not already private plans there?
  by BandA

There´s no way that the Minuteman Rail Trail goes away without replacement. Rail + trail, on-road on a sleepy side-street, whatever, but it is too popular. The ¨T¨ is a state agency subject to political pressure even more than private companies.
  by CRail

Necessity trumps popularity. When that was built the line was abandoned and there were not bike lanes everywhere. Now that roads are all designed for bicycles the need for dedicated paths is negated, the need for rail service is not!
  by railgeekteen

I just realized that I forgot Foxboro service, and I added pretty much everything else first. LOL
  by Paul1705

Is the Pink Line (is that the color?) supposed to be rapid transit in the median of Route 128?

By the way, if you can use Adobe Illustrator, you can use curved lines that fit the routes more exactly. However you probably won't have the flexibility of scaling up and down and maintaining the same width for the lines.
  by railgeekteen

Pink is part in the median.
Last edited by CRail on Sun May 13, 2018 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.