• My future MBTA subway map

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Charliemta

ceo wrote:Someone in Arlington looked at the T map, realized the other end of the Red Line went to places where black people live and it was all over right there.
Exactly.
  by CRail

I've always found it strange how sugarcoated that gets, and no one seems to take issue with it.
  by RenegadeMonster

Yeah, that is strange. I would have expected to hear more about it and hear outrage.

Yet I have never heard that until now. I have always thought the want for the bike path was the reason it stopped.
  by CRail

The bike path exists to preserve the right of way. It is MBTA owned land.
  by Paul1705

Regarding the 1970s plan: how much was supposed to be in a tunnel? Also, I'm guessing that the other portions would have been in an open cut rather than on an embankment.
  by BandA

Based on what they did in Somerville, I think we can assume that Red Line to Arlington would have been subway or depressed open cut. West of Arlington center I suppose it could have been on the surface in some areas.
  by Charliemta

Here's a "back to the future" map, an MTA proposal from 1963 for rapid transit line extensions:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1764/2844 ... 9307_o.jpg