• Modern interpretations of LV and PRR widecabs

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Steve F45

Been working on these models for awhile now. Still not done with most of them, railings and windows mostly. I have more shells that will be painted in other railroads. And when all is done i'm going to show them at the upcoming northeastern fallen flags modelers meet.
So here are my custom models, the LV are SD90Macs and the PRR is a C40-8W.
  by Steve F45

Thanks Brendan. Got another SD90MAC-H II that will be painted possibly over the weekend. Most of the detail parts are on and I got the powered trucks for them. Decals are here too. I've been working on a custom E60 the last few weeks. Thats been a PITA, hard to find the detail parts i need.
  by Kaback9

Steve F45 wrote:Thanks Brendan. Got another SD90MAC-H II that will be painted possibly over the weekend. Most of the detail parts are on and I got the powered trucks for them. Decals are here too. I've been working on a custom E60 the last few weeks. Thats been a PITA, hard to find the detail parts i need.
Anytime, its nice to see someone paying tribute to the LV and the Pennsy of course. I was just given a PL42 shell and am leaning towards a CNJ paint job for it not 100% sure what scheme yet though.
  by Steve F45

Kaback9 wrote:
Steve F45 wrote:Thanks Brendan. Got another SD90MAC-H II that will be painted possibly over the weekend. Most of the detail parts are on and I got the powered trucks for them. Decals are here too. I've been working on a custom E60 the last few weeks. Thats been a PITA, hard to find the detail parts i need.
Anytime, its nice to see someone paying tribute to the LV and the Pennsy of course. I was just given a PL42 shell and am leaning towards a CNJ paint job for it not 100% sure what scheme yet though.
grrrrr, you got into my head didn't you.
  by roadster

Nice work. I always like old scemes on modern equipment. Just a little nit picking. The LV flag on the flanks of the "snowbird" engine is facing the wrong way. The flag should have the staff towards the cab, as if the wind were blowing the flag while it was traveling down the tracks.
  by Steve F45

i'll have to see if I have more flags on the decal sheet. The ones I used on the snowbird scheme were a PITA to get them to stick even with microsol.

I'll have more updated pics up later.
  by Ken S.

Nice models, Athearn has been doing this lately. A PRR F59PHI is among the offerings either released or in production.
  by Steve F45

i'll have to get pictures of my PRR stuff. I had this stuff down last year before athearn announced the F59, which looks ugly imho.
  by Steve F45

Work in progress.
Been a work in progress for well over a year. The frame and pilots are not for this model. I just wanted the shell on something.
And another 1 of the 3 custom P40 B units i've built.
  by Stephen

Steve F45 wrote: And another 1 of the 3 custom P40 B units i've built.
Those sure are interesting. Do you have any photos of your process? Did you just just cut them right behind the cab and slide on the rear end of another shell?

Very cool stuff.

Thanks,
Stephen
  by Steve F45

i'll have to go thru some galleries to find them. I did take pics of the process, not the greatest. I did cut the cab off right where it started to slope. Then car the rear off of another right behind the intake fan. Then start measuring and sanding, repeating till its sitting flush and fitting the frame properly. Then use some scrap plastic on the inside as support when you glue them together.
  by Stephen

SteveF45, it certainly looks like you did a quality job. I can't see the transition at all! Nice work.
-Stephen