• Modeling a Metro-North train of the 1990s in HO

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by inhiding12884

Hello all. I'm on a quest and would really appreciate any help and advice that you all could provide. Now in my mid-20s I'm returning to model railroading after a long absence as a way of bonding with my father. Since he's a former Metro North employee, we're looking to accurately model a full consist of an FL9 and 6 or 7 bomb coaches as would have run in the early 90s.

So far, we have several of the Walthers horizon coaches and are working on detailing them. We've added fiber optic lighting for the maker lights (and headlights on the cab car) and used 1/8" heatshrink tubing for the diaphragms. The biggest trouble has been the cab car, which is inaccurate insofar as the model has an extra window. We've been able to patch that up, but are having trouble figuring out which color paint to use that would be most accurate for both the aluminum and blue stripe down the car side. (Even with an accurate color, what is the best way to apply it, as oil paint looks really messy?). We're also trying to make decals from scratch and are also struggling with which font to use for the car names/ numbers and the different font for the RR name atop the windows. At the moment, there are out two biggest concerns. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eventually, we plan on moving on the FL9s and I guess we'll need the accurate color for the red they use(d) too. Seeing as it's the only option I've found, it looks like we're going to purchase from Imperial Hobby Productions.

We are new to kitbashing and we recognize that what we are trying to tackle is a long way from what we used to do with model railroading when I was a kid. However, that's what makes it fun. I've mined this forum for enough information to get this far and I've been thoroughly impressed with the immense amount of knowledge and general helpful nature I've seen. Thanks! Anything else that you can help with would be really wonderful... answering the questions posed or anything else that you think might aid us in our quest.
  by Otto Vondrak

inhiding12884 wrote:Hello all. I'm on a quest and would really appreciate any help and advice that you all could provide. Now in my mid-20s I'm returning to model railroading after a long absence as a way of bonding with my father. Since he's a former Metro North employee, we're looking to accurately model a full consist of an FL9 and 6 or 7 bomb coaches as would have run in the early 90s.
Welcome!
The biggest trouble has been the cab car, which is inaccurate insofar as the model has an extra window. We've been able to patch that up, but are having trouble figuring out which color paint to use that would be most accurate for both the aluminum and blue stripe down the car side. (Even with an accurate color, what is the best way to apply it, as oil paint looks really messy?).
Never use oil paints for anything. There are paints made specifically for hobby use that are plastics safe. Since you'd only be viewing the front of the cab car, any silver/aluminum hobby spray paint followed by a coat of DullCote should help get the effect your are looking for. Of course, let the paint totally dry between coats.
We're also trying to make decals from scratch
Why? Microscale makes a decal set in HO for Metro-North... they only screwed up the logo and spelled the name of the company as "Rail Road" and not "Railroad."

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/mer ... ct_Count=1
Eventually, we plan on moving on the FL9s and I guess we'll need the accurate color for the red they use(d) too. Seeing as it's the only option I've found, it looks like we're going to purchase from Imperial Hobby Productions.
You might want to just bite the bullet and purchase a finished model... They have been available finished and operational in the range of $150.00.

-otto-
  by inhiding12884

Wow! Thanks, Otto for your incredibly prompt response.

Regarding the decals, our concern is that only a few car names are provided. We'd like to do more than are provided and use names like Storm King and Half Moon. The decals look great, though, and I'm thinking that using those we can somehow come up with a font that's close.

As for the FL9 model, I've scoured the internet (at least I thought I did) and was unable to find any finished model. At around $150, I'd jump for anything decent. Do you know of any specific source? Have a link? At least the idea that something is out there gives some hope since the only finished model I've seen was Brass and recently went on ebay for $1,300!

Thanks for your help.

If anyone has any general suggestions on modifications to make to the shoreliner models beyond what I've already described, we're all ears over here in our quest to be as accurate as possible.
  by Otto Vondrak

inhiding12884 wrote:Regarding the decals, our concern is that only a few car names are provided. We'd like to do more than are provided and use names like Storm King and Half Moon. The decals look great, though, and I'm thinking that using those we can somehow come up with a font that's close.
Helvetica. Bold. The Walther's cars didn't come with decals for different car names? I thought they did.
As for the FL9 model, I've scoured the internet (at least I thought I did) and was unable to find any finished model. At around $150, I'd jump for anything decent. Do you know of any specific source? Have a link? At least the idea that something is out there gives some hope since the only finished model I've seen was Brass and recently went on ebay for $1,300.
I wanted to say The Caboose in Wolcott was offering them for around that price (I could be wrong). Resin shells on a custom chassis. You might want to give them a call. I agree that the price on brass is outrageous.

http://www.thecaboose.com/

-otto-
  by Dieter

Walther's doesn't include decals for "WORKING CLASS HERO" either.

Don't forget that in mid and late 1990's, Metro North trains had RAILPHONE, so you need to include those little telephone decals. Make sure you don't have more than TWO pottys per consist. :wink:

D/
  by conrail71

If you get the Microscale Metro North set # 87-929 it has the names John Cheever, The Knickerbocker, New Hamburg, Washington Irving, Westchester, Empire State and Robert Fulton. The Walther's car came with a decal sheet as well. That one had 30 car names on it including the Half Moon and the Storm King cab car names. The Walther's sheet also includes car #'s handicap accessability and phone logos. Hope this helps!
Mike (extreme northern district modeler)
  by FL9AC

what is the best way to apply it, as oil paint looks really messy?
Definitely by airbrush...only way to go to get a nice clean paintjob :wink: .
Eventually, we plan on moving on the FL9s and I guess we'll need the accurate color for the red they use(d) too
I've used "caboose red" for the red stripe on all of my Metro-North units as well as the numerous models produced for others. Take a look at the "Northeastern Commuter Trains anyone?" topic for pictures of how they turned out color-wise.

Seeing as it's the only option I've found, it looks like we're going to purchase from Imperial Hobby Productions.
I have an undecorated Branford Hobbies FL-9 (same as what is sold at Imperial) that I started to superdetail for a Metro-North unit for my own collection, but if you are interested Send me a PM as to what road number and what details you want and we can work something out. Good luck with your models!
  by pnaw10

I agree with Otto for Helvetica on the car names. Not sure of the font for the "METROPOLITAN TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY" above the side windows.

For the MNR (or MNCR) logo, I like to go with Franklin Gothic Heavy, which I believe I originally obtained by purchasing a copy of Microsoft Publisher (98?) a long time ago. Haven't used Publisher in years, but I've copied this and many of the other fonts over from computer to computer as I've upgraded over the years.

Generally, you just need to make it italics -- no bold needed as the font is thick enough on its own. For the "M" part of the logo, you'll notice the regular letter M isn't right -- that's the mistake Microscale made in their decal set. You'll get much better results with a regular upper-case letter "W" turned upside down -- no bold or italics necessary.

I've never made decals on my own (sounds interesting, though well above my level)... however, I've used this font to create facsimilies of station signage (complete with the MNR logo in the bottom corner) and it looks pretty accurate.

Regarding paint colors, I'd suggest checking out some photos of the trains you want to model, then use Photoshop to get the exact RGB number for that particular shade of blue, red, gray or whatever. Then, you should be able to convert that number into a Pantone code (or any other color numbering system). This will allow you to order custom-mixed paints (depending on how much you're willing to spend in the name of authenticity) or to find the closest possible match of off-the-shelf paint you're willing to settle for. I once painted a locomotive to look like an FL-9. Admittedly, my painting wasn't that great (it was my first time ever doing so), but I seemed to have decent success with off-the-shelf paint... dark brick red, dark blue and a medium gray. My biggest mistake to learn from: I used glossy instead of matte paint. *facepalm* *facepalm* *facepalm*

Anyone know if Walthers might be willing to reissue the Gennies with the newer paint scheme? Even though I already spent a few bucks on the original set (gray with the lone blue stripe), I'd gladly invest in at least 2 or 3 with the new scheme.
  by Otto Vondrak

pnaw10 wrote:Not sure of the font for the "METROPOLITAN TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY" above the side windows.
From the Microscale set.
For the MNR (or MNCR) logo, I like to go with Franklin Gothic Heavy, which I believe I originally obtained by purchasing a copy of Microsoft Publisher (98?) a long time ago. Haven't used Publisher in years, but I've copied this and many of the other fonts over from computer to computer as I've upgraded over the years.
Actually, it's a heavy, bold weight of Helvetica, and I can find out the exact font family if I go digging. But the logo is also available from the Microscale set (with its minor inaccuracy), so no need to reinvent the wheel there.
  by metroduff

Question for Otto -

Is the font on the names of the rehabbed cars different from that on the unrehabbed? As I walk by them, it looks like the lettering is narrower than the shadows left by the previous lettering ...
  by inhiding12884

Thanks, everyone for the help so far. I'm forced to make my own decals since, unfortunately, my ebay purchases did not come with the walthers decals.

I'm still working on the cab cars and I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for the windshield wiper, handrails on the front of the train, and the pilot (which is very inaccurate). Are there any kits/ parts that I can order or is this going to have to be a true kitbash?
  by Otto Vondrak

metroduff wrote:Question for Otto -

Is the font on the names of the rehabbed cars different from that on the unrehabbed? As I walk by them, it looks like the lettering is narrower than the shadows left by the previous lettering ...
I have no idea. You'd have to show me a photo.
  by Otto Vondrak

inhiding12884 wrote:I'm still working on the cab cars and I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for the windshield wiper, handrails on the front of the train, and the pilot (which is very inaccurate). Are there any kits/ parts that I can order or is this going to have to be a true kitbash?
"Super Detail Parts" are available from suppliers like Walthers. Their printed catalog is a good one to browse through, since it has parts listed from many manufacturers.

-otto-
  by SR4501

inhiding12884 wrote:Thanks, everyone for the help so far. I'm forced to make my own decals since, unfortunately, my ebay purchases did not come with the walthers decals.

I'm still working on the cab cars and I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for the windshield wiper, handrails on the front of the train, and the pilot (which is very inaccurate). Are there any kits/ parts that I can order or is this going to have to be a true kitbash?
check your e-mail. i have several "used" decal sheets available.
  by green_elite_cab

There is a REALLY good book at "The Model Train Shop" in Piscataway, NJ on everything you'd need to know about Metro North, and its got a ton of good pictures. I'd almost buy it if i had any desire to model Metro-North. Send them an email, and ask about it.

http://www.themodelrailroadshop.com/index.html

If you want to make accurate Metro-North cab-cars, i know Frank Cicero had an article in RMC on making accurate Comet IV cabs (you MN guys might call them Shore-liners) from Comet II cars available from walthers. This is the October 1998 issue of Rail Model Craftsmen. It does touch on the Metro-North cars as well as the NJ transit ones.

As far as wind sheild wipers go, i think you can get away with A-line wiper sets for regular locomotives. I would make the grab irons from thin brass wire. Its not really all that hard, and you can likely eye-ball it with reasonable accuracy. Details Associates sells the coupler cut levers, as well as the HEP plugs. Kadee #118s match the couplers on these cars.

the most annoying piece will be the pilot plow, but that can be fabricated reasonably from some styrene pieces, as it is not much more than a broad trianular piece held to the bottom by two struts (at least that's what i can see from the photos i've seen). The microscale set has the right decals for the side-number boards, and much of the other details.

The only thing i'm not sure about are the ditch lights, though i bet they are out there.