Railroad Forums 

• Metropark 'stink' on 4/10/04

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#14535  by Tri-State Tom

Mud -

Keep in mind that after one of these 'leaking' Arrow trains left the station, the residue left on the tracks dried-up with the benefit of Mother Nature's breezes and sunlight in about 5-10 minutes....and the stench with it.

BTW, how many bridges are there on the NEC that are open to roadways/walkways below ? AIR, there are a couple just west of Newark Penn along McCarter Highway.

It's obvious what I'm thinking, isn't it ?

#14561  by Mudvalve

True, but i would have thought that maybe with the help of some rain, some of it would wash away.

#14869  by CGRLCDR

I used to be an auxiliary cop in Madison NJ and one of my duties was to meet the trains on the platform on weekends. On Friday and Saturday nights the smell and residue on the tracks was just disgusting. I have heard the break shoe argument before (do brake shoes leave puddles under the train?), but being a trained professional police officer I know the difference between **** and burning brakeshoes.

#15369  by Olton Hall

Guess what Princeton Junction smelled like this morning (not very strong). First time I've ever smelled it there. I'm sure NJT would blame the smell on the pond next to the station.

#15377  by nick11a

Olton Hall wrote:Guess what Princeton Junction smelled like this morning (not very strong). First time I've ever smelled it there. I'm sure NJT would blame the smell on the pond next to the station.
Its the most wonderful time of the year. New Brunswick seems to be getting worse lately too or it could just be me. :D

#15420  by Jtgshu

Just west of PJ station, but the Alexander Rd overpass, there is a very, very, very large mulch pile, and it really, really stinks.

That is probably what you smelt at PJ

#16180  by F23A4

Hold that thought, regarding the AIII-stink correlation!!! While I was waiting on the Trk 2 platform @ NWK (for A2150), two different Metroliners rolled in on trk 3 with an Amfleet II consist. Both trains emitted a VERY similar odor and it looks to be that I was standing within 15 yards of the "crap" tank.

Unlike the AIIIs, these things stunk while in the station as opposed to after departing. EEWWWW!!!!

So I guess its not limited to the Arrow IIIs.

#16239  by Tri-State Tom

F23A4 -

May not have been clear when I started this topic but that day at Metropark, the 'stink' arrived with the arrival of those Arrow trains and hung around after both trains departed ( i.e. the leaking residue left on the tracks ) until the sun and breezes evaporated said residue after about 10 minutes.

#16285  by Olton Hall

Jtgshu wrote:Just west of PJ station, but the Alexander Rd overpass, there is a very, very, very large mulch pile, and it really, really stinks.

That is probably what you smelt at PJ
It wasn't mulch. It was ever so faint and I wasn't looking/smelling for either based because of this thread. I know the pile you are talking about though. The wind was blowing the wrong way to have been that anyway. If you want a mulch pile, there's one between the Morrisville yard and Rt 1 that's pretty strong smelling.

#21343  by Mark Schweber

Since I want to post a lot to get one of those neat designations:

This morning a C5 cab car (which was actually in the middle of the train) stopeed right by me and from the undercarriage was coming an awful waste-like smell. I did not notice any smell once inside the car.