Railroad Forums 

• Metropark 'stink' on 4/10/04

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#12748  by Tri-State Tom

Are the Amtrak Horizon coaches and the Comets both made by the same builder ?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but AIR the Horizons have different - more traditional if you will - trucks ( technical term anyone ? ) than those on the Comets ( ditto technical reference please ).

Would that account for part of the 'better ride' Sirsonic ?

Anyone know of any links where we can compare the specs ( weight, length, truck assemblies, etc. ) for Horizon and Comet coaches ? The car bodies are indeed quite similar to this layman.

#12759  by DutchRailnut

The Amtrak Horizons and the Comets (most of them up to Comet IV) were all made by Bombardier in La pocatier Canada. yes the Horizons have outboard bearing GSM trucks but otherwise ride the same and are same weight as the commuter cars but with Airline seats and Manual doors.

#12764  by glennk419

These pictures are obviously from the west coast but clearly show the trucks http://www5.pair.com/rattenne/nrhs/Amtrak/gallery.htm.
Walthers also captured this difference quite nicely on their HO scale Horizon models.

#12833  by Jtgshu

Comet 1's were made by Pullman Standard, Comet 2's, 3's, 4's were all made by Bombardier, Comet 5's were/are made by Alstom, and the new Comet 6's (bilevels) are/will be by Bombardier.

The C2's were/are rebuilt by AAI, then Alstom.

The basic "comet" design, copied (improved upon) is used by many different commuter railroads, they just go by different names.....SEPTA, MN, CDOT, MBTA, and Amtrak - and probably a few more I can't think of right now....but Im pretty sure all these cars were made by Bombardier, and only NJT's original C1's were made by Pullman

#12883  by nick11a

Jtgshu wrote:Comet 1's were made by Pullman Standard, Comet 2's, 3's, 4's were all made by Bombardier, Comet 5's were/are made by Alstom, and the new Comet 6's (bilevels) are/will be by Bombardier.

The C2's were/are rebuilt by AAI, then Alstom.

The basic "comet" design, copied (improved upon) is used by many different commuter railroads, they just go by different names.....SEPTA, MN, CDOT, MBTA, and Amtrak - and probably a few more I can't think of right now....but Im pretty sure all these cars were made by Bombardier, and only NJT's original C1's were made by Pullman
Sounds right to me.

#12912  by F23A4

Yup, this is what I saw except not shrink wrapped. The coach to the left above is more like what I saw. I didnt know they were rated to 125mph. Impressive. What are CII-CIVs rated to?

#12922  by Sirsonic

The toilets on NJT equipment are all made by a company called Microphor (sp?). Except for differences in tank size and other advancements in the working parts of the system, they are all the same.

#12954  by Tri-State Tom

Not to belabor this subject but I assume these holding tanks are designed with an overflow devise to the ROW. Otherwise, the systems would back up into the 'John' compartment and then the coach interior which would REALLY cause problems....

#12957  by Sirsonic

Tom --

That actually is what happens from time to time. They back up into the coach, and that is when there are serious problems. If the tank gets too full, and the bacteria can not keep up, or more likely are dead because someone poured bleach in the toilet, then the tank can be emptied via a drain and the waste handled properly.

#13077  by genesis11980

The stench has spread!!!

I was down at Fanwood and witnessed the same horribly oppressive odor as a Comet III cab on an inbound run sloshed to a stop dumping putrid water all over the rair furthest from the platform... Not pleasant. I guess this is becomming common on the Newark Division these days.

#13087  by nick11a

Why all of these incidents all of a sudden on Comets and Arrows? Is someone not doing there job (like emptying the tanks.)

#13230  by F23A4

Nick, I like that Jersey Avenue (?) avatar.

#13360  by nick11a

^Thanks! I took that shot two weeks ago today. And yes, it is Jersey Ave.

#13413  by ericware

i got another one, AMT in Montreal uses them too.

#14525  by Mudvalve

I used metropark yesterday for a trip south and the faint smell of sewage was there. I didn't see any "wetness" on the track area, but there was a stink. Not too bad, but none the less there.