• MBTA Subway/Commuter Rail Models

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by JBConn

Did you buy a part or scratchbuild the roof hump?
  by jonnhrr

Scratchbuilt from styrene.

Jon
  by BostonUrbEx

I'm considering possibly modeling an MBTA work train, and what could would it be if I didn't have the caboose? So, does anyone know what kind of caboose it is? I'm not really sure what I'm searching for when looking for it. It would help if I had a term to search for. I'd paint it myself, so no need to worry about that aspect.
  by jwhite07

It is formerly CP Rail #434618... according to Canadian Trackside Guide, it is part of a series of cabooses built by CP Rail's Angus Shops in 1977, but I believe them to closely mimick a National Steel Car design.
  by B&M 1227

A few years ago I had decals made for the caboose and plows. I recently gave them to a friend, but I believe there were a lot of duplicates, so I can ask him for a set if he hasn't used them all yet. PM me for more details.
  by B&M 1227

Yes. It even has working Marker lights!
  by JBConn

Anyone have a suggested manufacturer & part number for replacement F40PH plow for a Walthers F40PH unit?
  by JBConn

I found an old Walthers MBTA F40PH. It is a bit beat up, missing some parts, and needs the pink stripe repainted.

Can anyone recommend a good replacement for the plow on a Walthers F40PH?

Also 5-chime air horn all forward?

Thanks
  by ST214

Uhhh....what pink stripe?

Let me know if you can get it to run. Mine gets around the layout once and loses electrical capability. Cleaning the wheels is not fixing the issue, so I am thinking the contacts inside may need a cleaning.
JBConn wrote:I found an old Walthers MBTA F40PH. It is a bit beat up, missing some parts, and needs the pink stripe repainted.

Can anyone recommend a good replacement for the plow on a Walthers F40PH?

Also 5-chime air horn all forward?

Thanks
  by JBConn

ST214 wrote:Uhhh....what pink stripe?
Small joke. Walthers stripe on MBTA models is the wrong color, a bit pinkish, rather than purple.
  by octr202

Eh, just matches the faded units. If you don't want to repaint it, just weather it up heavily, it'll look right. ;-)
  by Steve Wagner

Bachmann's HO Spectrum series model of an MBTA has some faults, but its purple color is correct. I learned this by holding one up next to one of the real locomotives. Unfortunately the models were made some years ago and are probably hard to come by now.

MicroScale has the correct color in solid decal film. For paint that also matches, go to www.mgdecals.com and scroll to the listing of other manufacturers' products at the end.