• MBTA Books

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by darksun23c

I've been lurking on these boards for six months now, so I figure now is as a good a time as any to post. I live in Newton, and I've been a railfan since I was a kid. Anyway, I have three, yes three, unrelated questions.

1. Browsing a library a few weeks ago, I happened to see Park Street Under by Brian Cudahy. It's a very cool little book about Boston subways, and the inside jacket even has a 1972 system map. I'd recommend it to anyone interested. So, are there any other good books about the history of the MBTA or public transportation in Boston?

2. A couple of weeks ago, I was also riding a Boeing LRV into Boston. I forget the number, but according to what I picked up from the driver and mechanic's discussion, her battery kept going under. The train's systems had to be restarted at each station, and the driver made the train free. She was really dying east of Longwood, and we barely limped into Kenmore.

I remember having this happen to me a couple of years ago on other LRVs. Is this a systemic problem among all of those trains?

3. Last I heard, the MBTA had halted Breda orders (I think 40 had been delivered) and declared them lemons. I think they're refurbishing the 40 now, but does anyone know what the plans are for procuring enough trains to phase out the LRVs?

Sorry if these questions are the typical 'newbie' type.

by Ron Newman

There are a number of Arcadia Publishing "Images of America" series books about the T. I have these three:

Boston in Motion
Trolleys Under the Hub
When Boston Rode the El

but I know there are others.
Last edited by Ron Newman on Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

by TomNelligan

The Boston Street Railway Association has a whole bunch of fine historical publications on Boston transit. See their web site for details http://members.aol.com/bsra5706/

by Porter Sq

There are also books on the red line and blue line. I have them both and they are great books.

by Robert Paniagua

The "Boston Rode the EL" edition is currently sold out, so for now, you'll have to go to a bookstore to get that one, it's also one of my faves, since it has the last shots of the Wash Street El.

by vanshnookenraggen

When Boston Rode the El and the Red Line one (name escapes me) are both out of stock indef. Thats not out of print, but may as well be. (I used to work in a bookstore).

by Robert Paniagua

Ok, although I have the Red Line one fortunately, Im still looking for "When Boston Rode The EL" one, maybe it's out on ebay, who knows...

The Red Line one is called "Bridging the Charles from Alewife to Braintree"

by darksun23c

Thanks a lot. I'll definetly search for these books.

by Pete

Rodney's, the used book store in Central Square, seems to have a steady flow of that series going through.

by Ron Newman

Boston in Motion isn't even listed on Arcadia's web site. I don't know why.

Amazon lists both of the supposedly sold-out books as available.

Slightly off-topic: Arcadia has also published books about the building of the Mass Pike, Route 128, and the (former elevated) Central Artery. I think they've got some Boston & Maine stuff too.

by pdxstreetcar

For rail books try the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, Maine. I got "When Boston Rode the El" from them about a year ago.

by mb41

Seashore sells the new new color books Part 1 (boston north) part 2 (boston south) wonderful books.
Also we sell the BSRA book "Boston transit 1940's"

Just as an FYI the BSRA's next book will be on the "Middlesex & Boston St. Ry.)

by mb41

A new booklet that is out (Seashore's store only) is the 38 page pictorial history/some text of the Middlesex & Boston St. Ry.

The book helps the car 41 restoration fund.

by jwhite07

There's a new book out titled Beneath the Streets of Boston. It's short on text but full of excellent watercolors (the author is also a professional illustrator). The book is basically a capsule history of the planning and construction of the four separate subway lines. Not a bad addition to the collection, and it's available at the big chain bookstores.

by mb41

That author is this years guest person at Seashore's Summer reading program friday aug. 19th.